THE BROWNS BOARD

Very interesting article

Canton Mike

I found the following article & found it enlightening.

Like it or not, the Super Bowl provides the Browns with a blueprint

Blog entry: January 25, 2011, 11:27 am | Author: JOEL HAMMOND

I famously pooh-poohed the Browns' hiring of Pat Shurmur by comparing the nepotism in the Browns' front office to Cuyahoga County's former leaders.

But — and I acknowledged in that blog the possibility that Shurmur will be good here — evidence shows that perhaps the Browns went the right, or at least most-traveled, way.

SI.com's Peter King studied the coaching changes over the last five years with a traditional coach/general manager structure, unlike when Eric Mangini was the coach and GM in everything but name. His findings:

The tote board: 12 of the 20 coaches hired into classic structures from 2006 to '09 made the playoffs at least one; that's 60%. Nine of the 20 (45%) won at least one playoff game. Five of the 20 (25%) won a conference championship game or Super Bowl.

Shurmur's a smart, anonymous kid, on the same fame level as Mike Smith when the Falcons hired him. He might have the kind of accurate, smart kid who will make a good West Coast quarterback in Colt McCoy. I don't know how good a GM Tom Heckert will be; we'll see, but he has a good background in the game, the way Thomas Dimitroff had when he left the Patriots to run Atlanta. I know you've heard this before in Cleveland, but give the kid a chance, will you?

King's numbers include Green Bay (2006, Mike McCarthy/Ted Thompson) and Pittsburgh (2007, Mike Tomlin/Kevin Colbert). And those teams, playing in the Super Bowl Feb. 6, provide a blueprint for Holmgren, Shurmur and general manager Tom Heckert to follow. And speaking of McCarthy, read this profile on him in The (Chicago) Sun-Times — sound like Shurmur?:

A columnist in San Francisco, where McCarthy had spent one season as the 49ers' offensive coordinator, all but said, “Don't let the door hit you on the way out.” And he probably wasn't alone in that sentiment. McCarthy's 49ers offense finished last in the NFL in total yards and 30th in points and set 49ers records for fewest offensive touchdowns (17), fewest passing touchdowns (eight) and most punts (107).

Another angle: Think of it in terms of injuries. Much was made of the Browns' injuries this season, and by ESPN.com's measure, the Browns missed 66 starter games due to injury. The Packers? Second (behind the Colts) with 83.

(I am a Packers fan, but this isn't gloating; rather, it's fascinating. Thompson has been murdered in the press at times for not wading into free agency and trades, most famously with Brett Favre being upset the team didn't trade for Randy Moss. And yet it's worked.)

And, according to Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News, by way of NFL.com's Michael Lombardi, a former Browns personnel man, the Packers led this category with 91 games missed to lead the league, followed by the Colts (72) and Steelers (51).

How did the Packers make the Super Bowl with that many injuries? Well, look at their drafting: Thirty of their 45 active players on Sunday were Packer draft picks. Seven of their players on season-ending injured reserve were Packer draft picks. Here's the details on how the Packers were built. It's astonishing, as so many have developed into starters/contributors on a Super Bowl team.

I found no such details for the Steelers, but according to The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, The Steelers were built on a foundation of homegrown talent, with 17 of their 22 starters acquired through the draft.

The Browns, by my count, had only 13 of their own draftees on the final active roster of 2010, a clearly wild difference from the most successful teams in the league.

# Speaking of the Browns and the draft, here are the NFL Network's top five players at each position. Who will be looking for a receiver before the Browns? Here's the order; the Bengals and Bills could be candidates. Or, maybe the Browns trade down to say, No. 10 or 11 or 12, as San Francisco, Dallas, Tennessee, Houston and Minnesota have other needs.

Of course, this all could be moot if the owners lock out the players.

Here's the link: http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/201...OGS04/110129887

Interesting to say the least. Thoughts?

Mike

It's time for an excellent OFFENSE COACH to be head coach of the Browns. Shurmur is fine by me - and I give all the credit

in the world to Holgren and co. to make a great hire.

The addition of the st coach is an example.

This is exciting stuff - to see the right moves being made, and trusting in the FO now.

it will be very interesting to see how all of the pieces fit together and what they'll (hopefully) accomplish as a unit that's on the same page.

i call the fo holmgren's heroes because he's brought in (prior to the 10/11 season) proven winners who have some pretty nice resumes. i hope his new hirings (hc, dc, stc, etc.) will add to that.

You succeed in the NFL with young fast players.. You may bolster your roster with some FA but the only way to become consistent is with your draft choices..

The problem in Cleveland IMO is that our record in the draft has been horrible..

I had a lot of optimism going into last season but all that came crashing down with the 1st game injury to Jake.. In the preseason I was impressed with how fluid our offense was being run, we had a semi-no huddle that left our opponents on their heels...

The most important position on a football team is the QB, I think we can all somewhat agree on that... Call it what you want but we ended up the season with our 3rd string, rookie QB driving the car... This is not what it was supposed to be....

The last game of the year, against our HATED rival, the only talk around town and in the national media was about if Mangini was going to get the ax.. This is not how I've come to experience "Steeler Week"... Usually the town is abuzz about the game but last year it was all about the coach...I lay this at the feet of the local media (Grossi & Cabot exclusively) and I think we saw the trickle down to the players...

I never again want to experience this crap and hopefully we're on our way to playing Cleveland football.. Diagram all the coaching trees that you want but the root of all those trees was and is, Paul Brown, the most inovative coach in the history of the NFL ....

If Heckert can duplicate last years draft and if we can pick up a key FA or 2 this team may indeed be ready to turn the corner...

Peace

T.Dawg

I wonder how many players we drafted that could of been good but were developed the wrong way by the previous coaches?

Im sure they picked a few people who had more passion for money then they did the game but what about all the players that loved playing football who actually got worse once the coaches started to change they're technique and everything.

You can be the best player in the world but if you have a coach who has you doing things the wrong way then it wont matter.

It is interesting but not really that surprising. Mangini is a BB decipel and knows you build through the draft. But, think about how long it will take to build a team the right way. GB has thirty players who they drafted. If you draft five players a year (a really great number) that you end up keeping it would take six drafts to reach thirty. If you remove injuries and players who only last 2-3 years you are really looking at eight drafts to build the team that way, and that is if you do a great job of drafting.

What kind of owner would it take to build a team this way and would the fans support it? The fans wouldn't support it because progress would be slow year to year. And if the fans stop showing up it would take a very determined owner to stand up and say "I know we aren't good but we are going to get better every day and we are going to play hard every day as we improve. Please stick with us because we will build something you can be proud of"

What would the fans say to that after a 5-11 season? Whaaaaaa, I want a new coach. It has been two years with this bozo, give me someone else

Since 1999 we've had 12 1st round picks (13 if you include Quinn). Of those 13, how many are still on our roster??

How many are still in the NFL??

As fans we can do little but support our team... We can attend the games or spend our dollars elsewhere...

I'm as frustrated as the next guy / girl...

This is our 1st experienced front office with football on their resume.. I guess we have to trust in their judgement to put a quality product on the field...

Peace

T.Dawg

Since 1999 we've had 12 1st round picks (13 if you include Quinn). Of those 13, how many are still on our roster??

How many are still in the NFL??

This is our 1st experienced front office with football on their resume.. I guess we have to trust in their judgement to put a quality product on the field...

T.Dawg

In 2010, we added 1st rounder Joe Haden, which increased our 1st rounders since '99 who are still with the Browns from 2 to 3!!!....Obviously, the other 2 players are Joe Thomas & Alex Mack.

The players they added last year far surpassed any single year since the Brown's return in quality & depth. Heckert was certainly no "one year wonder" in Philly. At last, we can go to draft day having confidence in what we add to our Team.

This FO has taken on the challenge of restoring one of the NFL's most storied Franchises to it's past glory. It seems to me like they are going about it in the right way (not a quick fix but I feel we will see consistent improvement). This year's draft will be very interesting.

Mike

Archived