THE BROWNS BOARD

No Offensive Coordinator Next Year?

cribbs is the man

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6076268

Apparently Mark Whipple will be an experienced enough quarterbacks coach to be a psuedo O coordinator along with Shurmur's play calling...

Thoughts?

Doesn't really worry me. Whipple is a good QB coach and both him and Shurmer should be good enough to work the offense. Saves the team some money and there is still a chance we try to talk to Greenbays QB coach after the SB.

does anyone else think that shurms is getting in too far over his head? a first year head coach who runs the offense and calls plays sounds like a big plate.

Whipple is assistance OC so it's not like Shurmer is doing it himself. It's kind of like how the Ravens are having their OC run the QB's and are not hiring a QB coach. Obviously they will be a bit stretched but I have no reason to believe that these two guys can't run the offense and since this is technically just speculation there is still a chance that they hire an Offensive Coordinator.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6076268

Apparently Mark Whipple will be an experienced enough quarterbacks coach to be a psuedo O coordinator along with Shurmur's play calling...

Thoughts?

Going the "no OC" route would concern me if we had a decent offense, but since the way we've been doing things hasn't worked....well, anything is worth a shot at this point.

Obviously shurmur has both holmgren and heckerts confidence that he can handle both duties and i love the accountability factor shurmy is putting on himself by calling his own plays and setting the table for the new/next OC to eat from..

I will take holmgrens "gut feeling" over a monkey suits hire by stat sheet anytime, its potentially how the next holmgren or belichick gets discovered...

Obviously shurmur has both holmgren and heckerts confidence that he can handle both duties and i love the accountability factor shurmy is putting on himself by calling his own plays and setting the table for the new/next OC to eat from..

I will take holmgrens "gut feeling" over a monkey suits hire by stat sheet anytime, its potentially how the next holmgren or belichick gets discovered...

Or the next Organzation fails for another 3 years...Its just a crap shoot

For xxxx sake, this is starting to resemble a train wreck. This was the big plan....yippee!!! Lets overload inexperienced guys.........yippee!!!

I don't think you can call Jauron inexperienced. He has been a HC for 2 different teams and a DC for several others.

I don't know about Whipple etc. but a lot less experienced people than what we have were at times selected for HC jobs.

Don Shula was only 33 when he got the HC job of the Colts. Tomlin only 34. etc.

One of the smartest things that Tomlin did when he joined the Steelers was to keep the previous coaching staff....

Not to mention that he had the players and system in place..

We're blowing it up, no doubt but thats what you do with teams that finish 5 - 11 two years running...

I'm not overly optimistic but I'll reserve judgement until after the draft...

Peace

T.Dawg

Yeah this is not looking good if you ask me no OC and a fresh new head coach who has to manage both, dosent look good

With Jauron on board Shurmur doesn't have to worry too much about the defensive side of the ball. I think we will be just fine, at least we will know that the head coach and OC will be on the same page for a change!!!!!!!!

The one thing that I do like about the new regime is that Holmgren owes the Steelers one...

He was very vocal after that super bowl loss to the Steelers, with those idiotic penalities called against his team that cost him the game....

I think that game still gets his blood boiling...

Peace

T.Dawg

Let me guess, you're one of the people that left the stadium at half time for the steelers game, you cheered when DA got injured, and you own a Brady Quinn jersey. Am I close?

not even in the same zip code

dont go to games....prefer to watch on TV. i never cheer injuries to any player (save bens broken nose, that was deserved), and i own a JJ jersey. note that i stayed here cause the quinn homer fags left...oh wait....ur a new guy. you weren't even here when DA was playing for us noob.

see what happens when u ASSume?

onto the topic, my point is similar to a few other views. first time HC with mediocre/new coaches surrounding him taking over a team devoid of talent with no OC. if this is the walrus' plan to make us better than we were, then im not buying it. i hope im wrong, but i wont be. u put an aweful lot of faith into an above average coach turned rookie czar with no track record making questionable decisions hiring his agent's clients in the good-ol'-boy network. holmgren stinks of hypocrisy; i was not enamored with his hiring in the first place....but to demand results of mangini after 1 year, can him and ask for patience from us? lmao.....this is his bed now. 2 years and we'll be discussing our new FO personnel.

The one thing that I do like about the new regime is that Holmgren owes the Steelers one...

He was very vocal after that super bowl loss to the Steelers, with those idiotic penalities called against his team that cost him the game....

I think that game still gets his blood boiling...

Peace

T.Dawg

its actually pathetic how he still whines about his "luck" in that game. such an honorable man would take the high road....but not our holmy. cries like a little girl that he was mistreated.

just another reason i would prefer to see his ass booted from berea.

shurmur isn't on an island by himself on offense. he does have holmgren and haskel to help him. i think that has to be factored into the discussion. know one knows for sure if an oc won't be hired this season or in the future. but shurmur has plenty of help right in the fo.

Let me guess, you're one of the people that left the stadium at half time for the steelers game, you cheered when DA got injured, and you own a Brady Quinn jersey. Am I close?

I love these random 'because we disagree about this....we have nothing in common' posts. So let me guess, you're one of the people that.............cried when DA left, thought DA would be a probowler in AZ, think Seattle wants MH back, thought we would be watching the Browns play the Packers on Sunday, thought Carthon would be a great OC because he used to be an NFL player, thought Savage would be a great GM because he was a 'great' scout, think Cowher would be twice the president MH would be because he has 2 SB rings. Spot on?

Archived