THE BROWNS BOARD

World Champions ????

OrangeHelmet-UK

I love the NFL , ive been hooked on it since it was first shown on UK TV in the early 80s, but one thing i , ( and all other sports fans in the UK ) cant understand is , why are the Super-bowl winners called " World Champions" when its only American teams that compete in the NFL ????.

Because there is no other country that can even put together a team to beat an NFL team let alone a Division II college team. Plus a majority of the players are from the US. In basketball and baseball you have many players from other countries (even though they say World Champions as well). Were just the best, sorry to put it like that, but pro athletes come to the US to play those sports.

Because there is no other country that can even put together a team to beat an NFL team let alone a Division II college team. Plus a majority of the players are from the US. In basketball and baseball you have many players from other countries (even though they say World Champions as well). Were just the best, sorry to put it like that, but pro athletes come to the US to play those sports.

Yes, of course your'e the best !!!! ,youre' the only country that plays it!!! I bet your'e pretty good at Baseball too !! But the NFL or pro football is an American sport not a world sport like football ( soccer ) . if the US won the soccer world cup they would be world champions, but to claim that sundays winners are " world champions" is ludicrous , surely in any sport you have to have more than one country , competing in it to be called "world champions" ????? also if a team ( not a country ) wins any major trophy in any other sport they are not champions of the world ..............sorry , but i just dont understand it !!! " World Champion Green Bay Packers "??????????????????

surely in any sport you have to have more than one country , competing in it to be called "world champions.

I say bring it then. Line up any country against the US. I guarantee I know who would win. That's a great idea. Let's have a World Cup for American Football. It would be like the Browns playing a pee-wee league team. When there is no competition you are just declared the winner. US - 1, the rest of the world - forfeit. There are no other teams.

I love the NFL , ive been hooked on it since it was first shown on UK TV in the early 80s, but one thing i , ( and all other sports fans in the UK ) cant understand is , why are the Super-bowl winners called " World Champions" when its only American teams that compete in the NFL ????.

It is simply a marketing and publicity crap !

Besides with the way Superbowl is whoring itself to the advertisers and marketers it is losing the charm of football. It is more about the money and the glamor than the game itself.

The US owned the free world for a long time. I think its time to rename the super bowl to the mega super bowl. Then the yinz would have seizures and argue about their SBB titles in the 70's being relevant.

But yeah we owned the world after WW2, u guys did before that... My regards to the queen,

Well the only thing we "owe" is a huge debt to China. Thank you policy makers.

Yes, of course your'e the best !!!! ,youre' the only country that plays it!!! I bet your'e pretty good at Baseball too !! But the NFL or pro football is an American sport not a world sport like football ( soccer ) . if the US won the soccer world cup they would be world champions, but to claim that sundays winners are " world champions" is ludicrous , surely in any sport you have to have more than one country , competing in it to be called "world champions" ????? also if a team ( not a country ) wins any major trophy in any other sport they are not champions of the world ..............sorry , but i just dont understand it !!! " World Champion Green Bay Packers "??????????????????

Hyperbole, my dear friend. Yup, the World Cup and the Olympics are the only true "world championships" although it's funny in tennis or golf we don't call the #1 ranked player world champion- like they used to do in boxing.

Yes, I'm waiting for the day there's A(Asian)FC, N(North American)FC, and E(European)FC conferences, rename the Super Bowl the "World Bowl", then we CAN call the Winners "World Champions" and tell the Steeler trolls their Super Bowl Championships don't mean squat, because they haven't won any World Bowls lately.

Team USA Crowned Inaugural IFAF Junior World ChampionBy Michael Beaven, Special from the Junior World Championship

July 5, 2009, revised July 14, 2009

http://www.usafootball.com/articles/displayArticle/6924

"The United States faced its stiffest competition on Sunday, but still cruised to a 41-3 victory against Canada to win a Gold Medal."

and thats just high school. think of how good our pro teams are

and thats just high school. think of how good our pro teams are

Well done the US ,but i think your're missing the point here. American football is by definition an American sport , at ANY level. ( OK Canada as well ,too a certain degree ) so on sunday when one North American CITY beats another North American CITY . that doesent make them World champions.....i realise opinion is devided regarding this subject on this forum ............99.9% think im talking shit ...but hey ...thats what forums are all about!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO BROWNS!!!

Simply put since all nfl teams are american (for now) and there is no international teams (yet) so the superbowl winner would still technically be "the world champions" of american pro football....

Lets face it "national champions or "nfl champions" dont carry the weight of "world champions"..hehehehe

Archived