THE BROWNS BOARD

Next GM?????????????????????

Guest mz.

Everyone's talking coach, but who the f are we going to get for GM if the Pioli thing falls through? Parcells ain't coming here, so let's just forget it. Neither is Cowher or Marty.

I don't see anything out there besides Floyd Reeses and Charley Casserlys....

Casserly isn't a bad option. As it turns out, he did the right thing drafting Mario Williams over Reggie Bush, right? He's done alright his whole career as a GM.

I remember Mike Mayock talking to Casserly and Mayock brought up that whole Portland taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan issue. Casserly looked at him like he was batshit fooking insane.

-Al

At this point, Pioli seems like the best candidate available, so I say treat him like a top free agent and consider it a failure if he's allowed to get on an airplane to anywhere else after speaking with Lerner.

After that, I would say Casserly is the best player available. Before getting ripped up one side and down the other for picking Mario Williams (which has inconveniently turned out to be the correct move), he was most known for making the Ricky Williams trade, thus trumping the Browns, Bengals, and quite possibly the Colts--I'll exempt the Eagles, because McNabb rejuvenated the franchise--who could have taken the trade and Edgerin James.

Another consideration has to be taking players late in the draft and turning them into starters. The Patriots' record speaks for itself. According to Wikipedia, here's some stuff that Casserly has done (although admitedly with a longer career):

>>Elevated to General Manager in 1989, Casserly sustained the Redskins' history of uncovering high-quality players in the later rounds of the draft. He used a fifth-round draft pick in 1990 to select Southwest Louisiana quarterback Brian Mitchell. Washington then converted Mitchell into a running back/kick returner, where he later joined Jim Brown as the only players in NFL history to lead the league in combined net yards four times. In 1996, Casserly plucked Auburn University running back Stephen Davis in the fourth round. Davis paced the NFC in rushing in 1999 with 1,450 yards. Casserly also drafted future Pro Bowlers in wide receiver Keenan McCardell (12th round, 1991) and tight end Frank Wycheck (sixth round, 1993). During the 1999 off-season, Casserly acquired veteran quarterback Brad Johnson who responded with a Pro Bowl season.<<

Dennis

I have no doubt Phil Savage would have drafted Vince Young if he had Casserly's decision.

I disagree. He showed his medal by drafting Joe Thomas over Brady Quinn, essentially saying that he'd rather go for the lineman than the sexy pick if he thought he lineman was the better player.

Pioli is the only candidate Lerner will be talking to. It is his job and he can just about name his terms. I believe he will be named by Friday.

What's funny is that he was a scout with Cleveland under Belichick at the same time as Savage and Schwartz. Pioli and Schwartz have remained friends. Indians GM Mark Shapiro and Pioili are very close friends and they have a connection with Mangini being married to Shapiro's daughter.

So, I would have to say that Mangini, McDaniel and Schwartz will be coaching candidates. I would like to see a combination of two out of the three.

I really have no clue who else is out there but it does seem Pioli is at least the right fit from a history/desire perspective so I hope it goes that way.

I mean, we have to place our faith in someone, so I like the idea of shooting for young and talented over old and experience, mostly because EVENTUALLY we have to actually BUILD something and someone like Casserley is just another stop-gap.

So, let's hope Pioli's the guy and knows his shit because we're going to need him.

Guest Aloysius

I remember that Trent Dilfer said the Browns should draft Young is he was available at pick #12. Some very stupid owner is going to give that guy a GM job some day...

About Savage & Young: I'm not sure. I think a lot of it depends on whether you believe Savage was genuinely interested in drafting Jamarcus Russell. If he was, I could definitely see him falling in love with Young's very different skills.

By the way, imagine a d-line of Mario Williams, Corey Williams, Shaun Rogers, and Alex Hall. That would be sick.

I really have no clue who else is out there but it does seem Pioli is at least the right fit from a history/desire perspective so I hope it goes that way.

I mean, we have to place our faith in someone, so I like the idea of shooting for young and talented over old and experience, mostly because EVENTUALLY we have to actually BUILD something and someone like Casserley is just another stop-gap.

So, let's hope Pioli's the guy and knows his shit because we're going to need him.

Lerner told the media that there was only one other guy that he was considering for the GMs job. Later it slipped out that it was McKay from Atlanta. But, he know says that Pioli is the only guy that he has scheduled to talk to. It could be announced by Friday. Pioli can print his own ticket.

Archived