THE BROWNS BOARD

bleacher report

Erie Dawg

Don't take anything the Bleacher Report says to heart. It's full of high school, early college wanna be journalists that often get their information wrong. They are interesting reads, but when it comes to mock drafts I completely ignore what comes out of ESPN and Bleacher and just look at Walter Football since they not only have been running their all season, but have up 5 rounds and did a pretty good drop of predicting last years draft.

All the farther you need to go on Bleacher Report to know that it's a crock of shit is the guy who was writing articles about how the Browns would be stupid to not sign Brett Favre.

ill pass on this draft hoss, dont know if they got the memo but we are switching to the 4-3 which requires a few more dlineman. Lets drop the later picks of wr and rb and fill them in with de and lb.

Not sure if I understand. They did show a cb, dt, and a lb being taken. Are you saying draft all d line and lb accept for wr @ #1?

you do relize we need a kicker and a rt also.

The kicker is a draft pick off the top. Not sure why no talks with dawson, might be he don't have the long range leg anymore, I don't know. And I don't see anything in free agency for kickers besides vinatteri.

While I like some of the rt on FA a crap shot either way.

I do agree though we need to look heavy at the d line because alot of the mocks I see teams are going d line first pick. So you gotta get them while you can. But we are not playoff ready and we need to look at the whole team and keep fitting in the pieces.

Don't take anything the Bleacher Report says to heart. It's full of high school, early college wanna be journalists that often get their information wrong. They are interesting reads, but when it comes to mock drafts I completely ignore what comes out of ESPN and Bleacher and just look at Walter Football since they not only have been running their all season, but have up 5 rounds and did a pretty good drop of predicting last years draft.

All the farther you need to go on Bleacher Report to now that it's a crock of shit is the guy who was writing articles about how the Browns would be stupid to not sign Brett Favre.

I know its like any mock they are all experts and most media outlets hate cleveland.

But this isn't my first rodeo with drafts either.

Figured I would throw this up since its been as dead as homotrons wife in bed here lately...

I could get off to a draft like that. Green and Hankerson? That gives us size and athleticism at the WR position. Allen Baily is a good DT and could be great, I like him as well. Not sure who Martez Wilson is but he has the size and looks like a badass, I wouldnt be upset. Dont really want that CB, if he is getting a bunch of tackles, that usually means he is getting caught on, I would rather a different player, but like the position pick there. And I love the scat back pick there with our last pick.

In round 6, it's pretty much a crap shoot, and since they are low risk picks really it wouldnt matter who we take but I feel like a scat back would be the about the safest there, unless we pick a K, which I would be against because we can get a UDFA or something if we dont re-sign Dawson. RTs could be had in the FA if we dont take one in the top 4 rounds. I would be for switching the CB pick for a RT though.

There is no way this draft would happen. We have a lot of value picks there compared to where players would get drafted.

All the farther you need to go on Bleacher Report to know that it's a crock of shit is the guy who was writing articles about how the Browns would be stupid to not sign Brett Favre.

Yeah, the guy writing about the worst Browns qbs since 1999 sure didn't do his homework. He bypasses Trent Dildo (arguably the worst qb to ever win a SB) and Jeff Garcia. And my all-time fave Spurgon Wynn.

Old article, but a good reminder of the quality of Tom Heckert's drafts. If this guy keeps doing his thing, any coach can win here.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Cleveland Browns General Manager Tom Heckert has good track record in draft Published: Friday, January 15, 2010, 8:11 PM     Updated: Friday, January 15, 2010, 11:31 PM

Tony Grossi, PD

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns President Mike Holmgren said that Tom Heckert wil have a lot of responsibility as the team's general manager.

But Heckert breaks down his mission this way: "My main job is to find players, and that's what I intend to do."

Finding players for the Philadelphia Eagles helped make them an elite team in the NFC. Heckert joined the Eagles as director of player personnel in May 2001. He was promoted to general manager in 2006.

In the nine years Heckert assisted in building teams for coach Andy Reid the Eagles went 11-5, 12-4, 12-4, 13-3, 6-10, 10-6, 8-8, 9-6-1 and 11-5.

The 6-10 record in 2005 marked Heckert's only losing season in his 19 years in the NFL, counting 10 with the Miami Dolphins. That losing record might have been the result of back-to-back sub-par drafts in 2003 and '04.

The Eagles' No. 1 pick in 2003 was bust defensive end Jerome McDougle. They traded up to get him, giving up an extra second round pick. The one good pick of that draft was second-rounder L.J Smith, a tight end who caught a lot of balls for Philadelphia over the next six seasons.

The team did great in signing undrafted players that year, however. The Eagles found future starting center Jamaal Jackson at Delaware State, and a serviceable receiver, Greg Lewis, at Illinois.

The Eagles traded up again the following year to take offensive tackle Shawn Andrews in the first round. He's a two-time Pro Bowler; the rest of that draft, however, produced little.

Except for those two seasons, just about every other Philadelphia draft in Heckert's time as player personnel director or general manager has been highly graded.

In 2002, the Eagles scored bull's-eyes on their first four picks -- cornerback Lito Sheppard, safety Michael Lewis, cornerback Sheldon Brown and running back Brian Westbrook.

In 2005, the Eagles hit well in the middle rounds, snatching starting guard Todd Herremans in the fourth round and pass rusher Trent Cole in the fifth.

The 2006 draft was the first with Heckert as general manager. He nabbed three starters among his first four picks -- defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley, offensive tackle Winston Justice and guard Max Jean-Gilles. In the third round, Heckert worked a trade with Eric Mangini's New York Jets to move up five spots. He ended up taking the player Mangini had targeted --linebacker Chris Gocong.

"And there were a bunch of other players they took that we had very similar grades on, on the board," Mangini recalled. "They have a lot of the[same], not just types of players but types of people on their roster. I've always had an appreciation -- especially since that experience -- of how similar we are in that sense."

In 2007, the Eagles traded out of the first round and used their first pick in the second round on quarterback-of-the-future Kevin Kolb. They took backup defensive end Victor Abiamiri next. Then, Heckert hit again on two middle-rounders -- middle linebacker Stewart Bradley (who was hurt in 2009) in the third round and starting tight end Brent Celek in the fifth round.

In 2008, Philadelphia selected electrifying receiver and returner DeSean Jackson in the second round and found another late-round gem, safety Quintin Demps, a valuable backup. Their first pick after two trades was defensive tackle Trevor Laws in the second round.

And last season, the Eagles traded up two spots in the first round - surrendering merely a sixth-round pick to the Browns -- for playmaking receiver Jeremy Maclin. They also nabbed running back LeSean McCoy in the second round and he finished the season as the starter after Westbrook was lost with a concussion.

In all, 15 of the Eagles' 22 starters were drafted or signed as free agents during Heckert's time. Ten of his draft picks have made the Pro Bowl.

In a statement provided by the Eagles, coach Reid said: "Tom is one of my favorite people and I think he's great at what he does. The things that he's helped us do here are phenomenal."

Heckert believes in shoring up the lines of scrimmage. The Eagles held 17 picks in the first and second rounds under Heckert and seven were used on ffensive or defensive linemen.

They traded up three times and down two times in nine drafts. In Heckert's four years as general manager, the Eagles executed 23 trades overall. They used free agency cautiously.

"The best-case scenario is to get some of your needs done in free agency and then worry about the draft and then take the best available player, Heckert said. "Because that's the last thing you want to do is force a pick in there just because of a need.

"That's our goal, to hopefully build this team where you don't have to do that. You can draft the best player that's available and then you don't have to do that. You can draft the best player that's available and then you don't have to worry about reaching for somebody."

Archived