THE BROWNS BOARD

Later rounds could yield a right tackle for Browns

BuckeyeBrown

Jeff Schudel's NFL notes: Later rounds could yield a right tackle for Browns

Published: Sunday, February 20, 2011

By Jeff Schudel

JSchudel@News-Herald.com

The NFL draft is a little more than two months away, and though the attention given to the Browns' needs is focused on wide receiver and defensive end in the first two rounds, they need plenty of help at other positions.

Right tackle is another need. It doesn't have the priority of a pass-rushing end, a game-changing receiver, or an outside linebacker, and the Browns would not have to spend a high pick to get a tackle to bookend Joe Thomas.

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock says the Browns could get a quality right tackle anywhere from the third to the fifth round. They should be in the market for one because they cut John St. Clair, who started 10 games at right tackle last year.

Tony Pashos, signed last year in free agency, played in only three games before an ankle injury forced him on injured reserve. A shoulder injury limited Pashos to five games in 2009 when he was with the 49ers.

"You can go down to the third or fourth rounds and find some pretty solid guys," Mayock said in a conference call previewing the NFL scouting combine, which starts Thursday in Indianapolis. "Jah Reid from Central Florida and Joe Barksdale from LSU – to me they're both going to be right tackles.

"Reid is immense (6-71⁄2, 325 pounds). He doesn't look good in drills, but he looks good when you get 11 players on the field.

"Barksdale is a little bit of an underachiever. He was a starter at LSU. He has all the height and weight and you want, but he's not real consistent."

Mayock said Jason Pinkston of Pitt is another possibility in the fourth or fifth round.

"I think there are enough tackles in this draft," Mayock said. "I believe you should be able to find a right tackle, anyway. You're looking for a tough guy that's going to get help from the running back in the passing game. They aren't quite as gifted as the left tackle, so they're easier to find."

Here's a quick scouting report from ESPN Insider on the three tackles Mayock mentioned:

- Jah Reid, Central Florida, 6-71⁄2, 325: Above average work ethic … Can ride edge rushers past the pocket … Quick enough to establish position and engulf defenders but doesn't consistently get movement … Lacks elite awareness.

- Joe Barksdale, LSU, 6-43⁄4, 336: Can hold up against more traditional power rushers but has problems keeping balance and anchoring against more explosive speed-to-power moves … More of a positional blocker than a road grader. Waist-bender and does not generate a lot leverage at the point of attack … Can cover up defenders in phone booth situations to open up creases … Overall football instincts are above-average.

- Jason Pinkston, Pitt, 6-31⁄2, 313: Questions about his love and commitment to the weight room … Relatively light on his feet and gets into sets quickly. Does not have an elite powerful punch but does a nice job of maintaining proper hand placement … Displays quick first step (in run blocking). Needs to clean up initial angles and acquire better hat placement … Displays above-average natural instincts for the position.

If the Browns do not take a tackle, it means they plan to go with Shawn Lauvao at right guard and play Pashos or Floyd Womack at right tackle. Womack, like Pashos, is a health risk. He was bothered most of last season with a troublesome knee, but he fought through it to start 15 games.

Decisions, decisions

Deciding what to do with the sixth pick in the first round might be a lot easier for the Browns if the Bengals take Georgia wide receiver A.J. Green fourth, judging by how Mayock evaluates Green.

"He's a special wide receiver," Mayock said. "He's the best wide receiver I saw on tape. He's got the combination of height, width, speed. He catches the football. I believe he's physical enough to get off press coverage.

"If you're ever going to look at a wide receiver and say this is the guy that fits any offense, I think A.J. Green's the guy."

The Browns have the fifth pick in the second round, pick 37 overall. Mayock said he has "eight or nine defensive ends with first round grades." That means a quality defensive end could get pushed into the top of the second round and still be available to the Browns, though not the quality of Da'Quann Bowers of Clemson, Marcell Dareus of Alabama (projected as a defensive tackle in a 4-3 alignment), Robert Quinn of North Carolina or J.J. Watt of Wisconsin.

"Typically four defensive ends go in the first round," Mayock said. "And I start looking at kids like Muhammad Wilkerson from Temple, an underclassman. He could be a defensive tackle or a defensive end. He could go from 25 to 40, and the kid is a heck of a football player. I think he would have fit in the first round a year ago easily. And he might get pushed into the second round with the quality and depth of this defensive line group."

Mayock said wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin from Pitt could fit what the Browns need in the second round if they choose a pass rusher first. Baldwin is 6-45⁄8, 224 pounds. Baldwin caught 53 passes for 822 yards and five touchdowns in 2010. He caught 128 passes for 2,337 yards and 16 touchdowns in three seasons.

"He's an athletic freak," Mayock said. "I think he's probably going to put on a show at the Combine. With his height, weight and speed, I don't see him getting much past the mid‑point of the second round."

Waiting at six

Todd McShay of ESPN has the Browns taking Dareus with the sixth pick. Dareus might not be around at six if the teams picking before the Browns do their homework, according to Mayock and Mayock's sidekick on the NFL Network, former star defensive lineman Warren Sapp.

Mayock and Sapp both say Dareus is better than Nick Fairley, the huge defensive tackle from Auburn.

"They are both great football players. The key in evaluating Fairley is whether or not you're going to get the same player week in and week out," Mayock said. "He has some work ethic issues, but he is one of the most dominant defensive linemen I've seen on tape. Dareus is also a top-five pick, and played through considerable pain (in 2010).

"Bottom line, Fairley may have a little bit more upside, but I think Dareus is the safer pick."

Fairley posted 24 tackles for loss to lead all NCAA defensive tackles last season. He added 11.5 sacks, 21 quarterback pressures, and two forced fumbles. Dareus had 11 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, 10 quarterback hurries, and no forced fumbles.

Despite Fairley's obvious statistical edge, Sapp prefers Dareus. Speaking on NFL Total Access, he said Dareus is fundamentally better than Fairley

From what I've read and hearing this isn't a deep class for o-line. And after reading that article makes me think this position needs addressed through free agency.

I hate to waste a pick on a maybe, even if it is a late round pick.

I don't think that it is not a deep draft for O-Line, but I just think there really isn't any top tier talent this year. Honestly I think we can find someone in the 3rd-4th round that could be just as solid/better than some of the 1st-2nd round options.

I don't think that it is not a deep draft for O-Line, but I just think there really isn't any top tier talent this year. Honestly I think we can find someone in the 3rd-4th round that could be just as solid/better than some of the 1st-2nd round options.

Yeah, idk, much rather spend those late picks on defense since we are changing schemes and dumped alot of baggage.

The way I feel if we can get a stud RT through FA we are set on the o-line, Colt has a better chance of developing and barring no injuries on the running game we look solid there. Just need a wide out that will demand an extra man from the seconday and we will see the passing game open up a bit. We aren't deep at any position that's why I think we are going to be spending some $ in free agency also.

H&H really needs to have another solid draft or we will go backwards changing to the Wco and 4-3.

The RT's he mentioned nowhere near being in the same class as Gilbert.

IF he's there in the third round, that's the Browns' choice. Gilbert

is so talented, he could back up Joe Thomas at LT.

From what I've read and hearing this isn't a deep class for o-line. And after reading that article makes me think this position needs addressed through free agency.

I hate to waste a pick on a maybe, even if it is a late round pick.

Once you get past the third round everyone is a maybe. Heck- they're nit-picking the guys who are projected to go top 5. :)

here's what walterfootball.com says about FA OT. Most are old/probably will resign with their team. Don't think matt light would leave NE for Cle.

FA OT via walterfootball.com

My favorites are

1. Tyson Clabo

2. Marshal Yanda

3. Willie Colon

One and two are close so either one of those would be great.

Colon's value seems a little high on that list but he's defiantly not bad either

Jeff Schudel's NFL notes: Later rounds could yield a right tackle for Browns

Published: Sunday, February 20, 2011

By Jeff Schudel

JSchudel@News-Herald.com

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock says the Browns could get a quality right tackle anywhere from the third to the fifth round.

Tony Pashos, signed last year in free agency, played in only three games before an ankle injury forced him on injured reserve. A shoulder injury limited Pashos to five games in 2009 when he was with the 49ers.

Mr Glass( Pashos was hurt in his last two stops and promptly got hurt in Cleveland. A real surpris.

"You can go down to the third or fourth rounds and find some pretty solid guys," Mayock said in a conference call previewing the NFL scouting combine, which starts Thursday in Indianapolis. "Jah Reid from Central Florida and Joe Barksdale from LSU – to me they're both going to be right tackles.

"Reid is immense (6-71⁄2, 325 pounds). He doesn't look good in drills, but he looks good when you get 11 players on the field.

Immense and looks bad in drills vs College talent, boy that sells me.

"Barksdale is a little bit of an underachiever. He was a starter at LSU. He has all the height and weight and you want, but he's not real consistent."

Woowee door #2 is an "underacheiver and not consistant". Ughh we got rid of st. Clair do we need his twin?

Mayock said Jason Pinkston of Pitt is another possibility in the fourth or fifth round.

- Jah Reid, Central Florida, 6-71⁄2, 325: Above average work ethic … Can ride edge rushers past the pocket … Quick enough to establish position and engulf defenders but doesn't consistently get movement … Lacks elite awareness.

Lacks awareness and movement( gets a QB killed at the NFL level)

- Joe Barksdale, LSU, 6-43⁄4, 336: Can hold up against more traditional power rushers but has problems keeping balance and anchoring against more explosive speed-to-power moves … More of a positional blocker than a road grader. Waist-bender and does not generate a lot leverage at the point of attack … Can cover up defenders in phone booth situations to open up creases … Overall football instincts are above-average.

Hmm has trouble vs speed rushers, how comforting.

- Jason Pinkston, Pitt, 6-31⁄2, 313: Questions about his love and commitment to the weight room … Relatively light on his feet and gets into sets quickly. Does not have an elite powerful punch but does a nice job of maintaining proper hand placement … Displays quick first step (in run blocking). Needs to clean up initial angles and acquire better hat placement … Displays above-average natural instincts for the position.

Sounds like man boobs that Cinci drafted in 2009, does not like to work out. How special

If the Browns do not take a tackle, it means they plan to go with Shawn Lauvao at right guard and play Pashos or Floyd Womack at right tackle. Womack, like Pashos, is a health risk. He was bothered most of last season with a troublesome knee, but he fought through it to start 15 games.

Decisions, decisions

Deciding what to do with the sixth pick in the first round might be a lot easier for the Browns if the Bengals take Georgia wide receiver A.J. Green fourth, judging by how Mayock evaluates Green.

"He's a special wide receiver," Mayock said. "He's the best wide receiver I saw on tape. He's got the combination of height, width, speed. He catches the football. I believe he's physical enough to get off press coverage.

While he is special he is also rail thin and once he gets blasted from an NFL safety may be injured.

The Browns have the fifth pick in the second round, pick 37 overall. Mayock said he has "eight or nine defensive ends with first round grades." That means a quality defensive end could get pushed into the top of the second round and still be available to the Browns, though not the quality of Da'Quann Bowers of Clemson, Marcell Dareus of Alabama (projected as a defensive tackle in a 4-3 alignment), Robert Quinn of North Carolina or J.J. Watt of Wisconsin.

Funny how these "experts rate guys" look at mathews rated at about where the packers took him in the mid 20s and how he is playing. Obviously with guys like raji, the Rt, the QB, they know what they are doing. The Steelers and ravens always get studs even as low as they draft and we get bums. take a guy if you really like him.

"Typically four defensive ends go in the first round," Mayock said. "And I start looking at kids like Muhammad Wilkerson from Temple, an underclassman. He could be a defensive tackle or a defensive end. He could go from 25 to 40, and the kid is a heck of a football player. I think he would have fit in the first round a year ago easily. And he might get pushed into the second round with the quality and depth of this defensive line group."

Mayock said wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin from Pitt could fit what the Browns need in the second round if they choose a pass rusher first. Baldwin is 6-45⁄8, 224 pounds. Baldwin caught 53 passes for 822 yards and five touchdowns in 2010. He caught 128 passes for 2,337 yards and 16 touchdowns in three seasons.

"He's an athletic freak," Mayock said. "I think he's probably going to put on a show at the Combine. With his height, weight and speed, I don't see him getting much past the mid‑point of the second round."

Waiting at six

Todd McShay of ESPN has the Browns taking Dareus with the sixth pick. Dareus might not be around at six if the teams picking before the Browns do their homework, according to Mayock and Mayock's sidekick on the NFL Network, former star defensive lineman Warren Sapp.

I would love to have darius.

Mayock and Sapp both say Dareus is better than Nick Fairley, the huge defensive tackle from Auburn.

"They are both great football players. The key in evaluating Fairley is whether or not you're going to get the same player week in and week out," Mayock said. "He has some work ethic issues, but he is one of the most dominant defensive linemen I've seen on tape. Dareus is also a top-five pick, and played through considerable pain (in 2010).

"Bottom line, Fairley may have a little bit more upside, but I think Dareus is the safer pick."

Fairley posted 24 tackles for loss to lead all NCAA defensive tackles last season. He added 11.5 sacks, 21 quarterback pressures, and two forced fumbles. Dareus had 11 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, 10 quarterback hurries, and no forced fumbles.

Despite Fairley's obvious statistical edge, Sapp prefers Dareus. Speaking on NFL Total Access, he said Dareus is fundamentally better than Fairley

There are good players in every round.

I believe Heckert has an above average eye for talent and that expertise is sorely needed..

Another draft like last year and maybe we could win some games..

My one request though---we need speed.. If two players are equal in talent take the speed every time..

The Browns, to me, seem to be one of the slowest teams in the league...

Peace

T.Dawg

Archived