THE BROWNS BOARD

Question

DawgEatSteel

If there is no agreement made and no new CBA in place I've heard that (if they take it to the fullest degree) coaches and players are not allowed to talk or go over any type of playbook material...my question is.....what's to stop shurmur and mccoy meeting at one of their houses to go over plays and such over dinner or while just sitting down casually with a beer? who would ever find out? its still america right?

If there is no agreement made and no new CBA in place I've heard that (if they take it to the fullest degree) coaches and players are not allowed to talk or go over any type of playbook material...my question is.....what's to stop shurmur and mccoy meeting at one of their houses to go over plays and such over dinner or while just sitting down casually with a beer? who would ever find out? its still america right?

They can hang out but cant talk football. Your right...it is America. Someone would find out.

There are strict rules that are going to be imposed about contact and if someone violated them they would be in for hefty fines or suspension. It has nothing to do with a person's rights under the constitution, it is a condition of employment. "You want this job, you play by these rules".

Further note this: These rules might just be superfluous. If you haven't heard, the players association may vote to "decertify". Now, I am not a labor Lawyer, but as I understand it decertification is in essence a discontinuation of the union as the players representative for collective bargaining. If the union decertifies that action would lead to a lawsuit that would ask for an injunction by the courts to prohibit the owners from imposing the "lockout". If granted, the courts would state that, essentially, the normal business of the league should go on as usual.....under the terms of the old agreement perhaps, though I am not sure of that. When and how things would ultimately be settled I am not sure, but apparently if the injunction occurs then the teams then could talk to the players, sign free agents, hold minicamps etc. etc.

Here is one article with some explanation:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...otball-in-2011/

Here is another one:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-...ty-to-decertify

<!--quoteo(post=230488:date=Feb 28 2011, 02:20 PM:name=DawgEatSteel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DawgEatSteel @ Feb 28 2011, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=230488"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If there is no agreement made and no new CBA in place I've heard that (if they take it to the fullest degree) coaches and players are not allowed to talk or go over any type of playbook material...my question is.....what's to stop shurmur and mccoy meeting at one of their houses to go over plays and such over dinner or while just sitting down casually with a beer? who would ever find out? its still america right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are strict rules that are going to be imposed about contact and if someone violated them they would be in for hefty fines or suspension. It has nothing to do with a person's rights under the constitution, it is a condition of employment. "You want this job, you play by these rules".

Further note this: These rules might just be superfluous. If you haven't heard, the players association may vote to "decertify". Now, I am not a labor Lawyer, but as I understand it decertification is in essence a discontinuation of the union as the players representative for collective bargaining. If the union decertifies that action would lead to a lawsuit that would ask for an injunction by the courts to prohibit the owners from imposing the "lockout". If granted, the courts would state that, essentially, the normal business of the league should go on as usual.....under the terms of the old agreement perhaps, though I am not sure of that. When and how things would ultimately be settled I am not sure, but apparently if the injunction occurs then the teams then could talk to the players, sign free agents, hold minicamps etc. etc.

Here is one article with some explanation:

<a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/11/nflpa-decertification-vote-could-ensure-nfl-football-in-2011/" target="_blank">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...otball-in-2011/</a>

Here is another one:

<a href="http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-09/nfl-labor-talks/story/nflpa-seeks-authority-to-decertify" target="_blank">http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-...ty-to-decertify</a>

Wow im glad to here that Gipper that would be alrite if they continued someway to prevent a lockout, i dont really care what they have to do but it would be injustice to not have Americas true sport next year Football

just because you have a violent player on your team does not mean goddell should lose his job. how about simply teaching the hitman to tackle properly rather than try to injure other player?

Teaching the hit man to tackle properly...if they can present a uniform set of rules for tackling that are not inconsistent from the calls the actual referees make, then I'll put more faith in Goodell's self-appointed "punishment czar"

Harrison did not try to purposely injure other players but that's irrelevant since the NFL (if you think about it) shows very little interest in protecting players health. They fine the hell out of guys yet no money goes to medical bills for brain damaged vets in need, then they have the nerve of an 18 game season with even greater chance of injury.

You can claim that I may be bias but the fact remains that there is still a dangerous double standard in the NFL.

Teaching the hit man to tackle properly...if they can present a uniform set of rules for tackling that are not inconsistent from the calls the actual referees make, then I'll put more faith in Goodell's self-appointed "punishment czar"

Harrison did not try to purposely injure other players but that's irrelevant since the NFL (if you think about it) shows very little interest in protecting players health. They fine the hell out of guys yet no money goes to medical bills for brain damaged vets in need, then they have the nerve of an 18 game season with even greater chance of injury.

You can claim that I may be bias but the fact remains that there is still a dangerous double standard in the NFL.

Just because a referee misses a call doesn't mean that an infraction was not committed. In the case of the illegal hits that Harrison committed, the fact that no penalties were called doesn't make them any less illegal. It is the league that determines the legality or illegality of any action.

Archived