THE BROWNS BOARD

D'qwell Re-Signs And E Wright Given 2Nd Rd. Tender

#Browns LB D'Qwell Jackson signed a one-year contract with the Browns, incentive-laden deal worth up to $4.5 million, source told PD.#nfl

#Browns extend 2nd-round tender offer to CB Eric Wright, meaning another team would have to give Browns 2nd round pick under current rules.

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have extended a second-round tender offer to cornerback Eric Wright, a league source told the Plain Dealer.

Tender amounts haven't been set yet, but last year's number for players with four accrued seasons was $1.759 million for the year. Under rules of the current collective bargaining agreement, a team signing Wright as a restricted free agent would have to give the Browns a second-round pick.

Under a new labor agreement, players with three accrued seasons might become eligible for unrestricted free agency.

Wright, a fifth-year pro, finished the 2010 on injured reserve with a knee injury and didn't have the season he hoped. But he said recently he's confident he can come back strong in 2011 and be the premier cornerback the Browns expected him to be last season.

Wright, the Browns second-round pick in 2007, has said he'd like to finish his career in Cleveland. Browns general manager Tom Heckert said last week that he thinks Wright is a good corner and would like to have him back.

Wright, who struggled in Week 3 against Baltimore's Anquan Boldin, ultimately lost his starting job at the end of last season to rookie Joe Haden. But he started the season with a pulled hamstring and then suffered a sprained knee in Week 10 in Jacksonville that was supposed to keep him out four games. He sat out only one week instead.

Wright played at far less than 100% the next three weeks before re-injuring the knee in Cincinnati in Week 14. He missed the final two games, against Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

Sheldon Brown was also battling a shoulder injury last year if I am not mistaken. If we can get Patrick Peterson, this secondary would be pretty well set. I think Brown could do well as a safety, but he is still old and we need a safety opposite of Ward.

Im happy that we are giving another shot for Wright and if not we can at least get a 2nd round draft choice..Last year he played poorly but i think he may have a bounce back season and could surprize...We do need someone oppisite Ward, i really like the guy outta UCLA Rahim Moore he would be a great 2nd or 3rd round pick

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/03/cleveland_browns_hope_seneca_w.html

BEREA, Ohio — On the eve of a possible lockout, the Browns finished some important business by signing quarterback Seneca Wallace to a three-year deal worth $9 million plus incentives, and linebacker D'Qwell Jackson to a one-year deal worth a little more than $4.5 million including incentives, league sources said.

They also extended cornerback Eric Wright a second-round tender offer, making him a restricted free agent under terms of the current collective-bargaining agreement.

Jackson's contract is incentive-laden and will reward him for staying healthy and producing. He missed 10 games in 2009 with a torn left pectoral tendon and all of 2010 with the same injury on the right side, both of which required surgery.

"I'm extremely grateful to the Browns for bringing me back," Jackson said in a phone interview. "They didn't owe me anything after these injuries, so I have to make sure I step up to the plate and pay them back."

Wallace's signing means he will most likely come in as the backup to Colt McCoy, whom the Browns have said is their starter heading into training camp. They said they'd also like to have Jake Delhomme back, but he's due to make $5.4 million in the second and final year of his deal and would most likely have to take a pay cut.

Wallace, acquired in a trade with the Seahawks last off-season for a sixth-round pick, will be back playing the West Coast offense, which he ran for six seasons under Mike Holmgren in Seattle and one after Holmgren left.

New Browns coach Pat Shurmur runs the same scheme.

"I'm a Seneca fan," Shurmur said at the NFL Scouting Combine last week. "He's a West Coast quarterback. I'm not thinking about the WildDawg. He can line up under center. He's done it for a lot of years in this system."

In addition to running it himself, he can help teach the scheme to McCoy, who ran some of it at Texas. The Browns also like Delhomme as a tutor to McCoy if they can afford him.

"I think that's an important piece to have an experienced quarterback in a mentoring role. I saw it in St. Louis. A.J. Feely was outstanding for Sam Bradford. When I had the chance to meet Jake, I sensed that. What I know about Jake, he's an outstanding person."

Heckert said "it's not that super far out" to have both Wallace and Delhomme back.

"If not, you have to find another one," he said. "I don't think I can answer [if Delhomme will accept a paycut] right now. I think Jake really likes Cleveland."

Wallace went 1-3 in his four starts before suffering a high ankle sprain against Atlanta on Oct. 10.

Despite running an offense that was foreign to him and that he didn't like, Wallace started coming around his last couple of starts. Against the Falcons, he completed 11-of-15 attempts for 139 yards and a TD for a 124.0 rating. After recovering from the sprain, Wallace played sparingly in the WildDawg.

Wallace was vocal last season and this off-season about wanting to start, but the Browns have made it clear they want to get behind one guy -- and that guy is McCoy.

Jackson, who led the league with 188 tackles in 2008, is better suited to the Browns' new 4-3 scheme, GM Tom Heckert said last week. He said Jackson can either play on the weak side or inside in the new defense. "He's just better suited, body-type," Heckert said.

"I had a chance to speak with the defensive staff and they assured me they think I can be productive," Jackson said. "Ever since I've been in the league, guys have been telling me, I'm more suited for a 4-3. That was also an enticing thing about staying with the Browns. It's similar to Philadelphia's attack-mode defense."

Jackson, a sixth-year pro, said he's almost 100 percent recovered from pectoral surgery and should be cleared for football action next month. He said he has no theories about why both of his pectoral tendons tore.

"My goal is to play all 16 games and get back to that 2008 level," he said.

On Wright, Heckert said he couldn't explain his down year in 2011, "but I think Eric's a good football player. I really do."

Id rather have Sheldon start at CB, but I just feel that the job will be giving to E. Wright for some reason. Sheldon will probably be more of a nickel/utility guy this season.

It's not like Madden, you can't just throw a corner in at safety and have him be automatically better. Sheldon might suck at safety, and Abe Elam is terrible. Mike Adams at least had moments of a good season last year.

I really like mike adams, every time they ask him to step up and preform he does. Id like to see him get a shot to be a starter, but if not I think he's one helluva backup not to mention he's a stud on special teams also.

Id rather have Sheldon start at CB, but I just feel that the job will be giving to E. Wright for some reason. Sheldon will probably be more of a nickel/utility guy this season.

It's not like Madden, you can't just throw a corner in at safety and have him be automatically better. Sheldon might suck at safety, and Abe Elam is terrible. Mike Adams at least had moments of a good season last year.

Are you kidding me. Elam is terrible. Ya he's not the best safety but he progressed really well last year. He is also ten times better than Adam's. Don't get me wrong I like Adam's work ethic, he always tries really hard and you can see that, but his one INT on the year came to him when it bounced off of someones helmet. Elam had to picks in coverage a goal line strip against the Patriots and a strip/fumble recovery for a touchdown in Miami. As for Wright and Brown, Brown was better than Wright last year hands down. That said he wasn't great, he was average, but Wright was piss poor almost every down. If Brown was just as good as Wright then we better xxxxing draft a CB with the first pick because that means our only good corner would be Haden.

I disagree, E Wright was injured and got put on an island with aggressive defensive blitzes and 1 on 1 coverages against #1 WR's.

If Haden can continue to grow and take over the #1 spot there is no reason E Wright can't handle opposite of him. It would likely be better than Sheldon Brown. That guy just flat out doesn't have it anymore.

MIKEY, EW NEVER SEEMED TO RECOVER FROM THE ISLAND HE WAS MAROONED ON IN THE RAVENS GAME WITH NEVER A SAFETY IN RADAR DISTANCE.

THE KID WAS A RISING TALENT. THIS IS ONE AREA THE PATIENCE OF THE VETERAN DEFENSIVE STAFF WILL HELP ERIC WRIGHT RETURN TO FORM.

Are you kidding me. Elam is terrible. Ya he's not the best safety but he progressed really well last year. He is also ten times better than Adam's. Don't get me wrong I like Adam's work ethic, he always tries really hard and you can see that, but his one INT on the year came to him when it bounced off of someones helmet. Elam had to picks in coverage a goal line strip against the Patriots and a strip/fumble recovery for a touchdown in Miami. As for Wright and Brown, Brown was better than Wright last year hands down. That said he wasn't great, he was average, but Wright was piss poor almost every down. If Brown was just as good as Wright then we better xxxxing draft a CB with the first pick because that means our only good corner would be Haden.

Brown was heads and shoulders better than Wright last season, you won't hear me argue. But most believe Wright's shitty year last year was a fluke. He's much younger, and has tremendous physical talent. With Haden emerging at as our #1, that's taking pressure off of Wright. Sheldon is at the end of his career, that's what happens with older CBs. They get moved to nickel.

As for the Adams/Elam debate. They both had two picks. Elam started most of the games, but Adams played very well when called upon. They're both middle of the road safeties at best. They're both the same age, Adams has more experience. Neither have any remarkable physical ability. Honestly, it doesn't matter who starts, we need a playmaker either way.

While brown has lost a half a step he is still flat out better than wright as he tackles hard along with being tough and he often plays through injury, he also has a knack about playing the ball at opportune times which can be a good thing..

Im not a wright fan and i have little faith in the guy as a starting corner but tendering him as a backup and perhaps giving him another chance to prove himself worthy of earning the starter position was a wise choice for now, at least until someone better emerges as a backup CB or even a starter...

I think elam made some progress last year but nevertheless imho abe just like eric lacks to much to be a starter and is and can be a liability on the field at his level of play he simply is not worth the risk or the money, its the weak links like wright and elam that break and cost us games when the other team really needs to turn it on and force something to happen those are the guys they pick on and adams while having a lot of heart lacks overall talent at both safety and corner he is however a solid 3rd stringer for either position..

Brown was heads and shoulders better than Wright last season, you won't hear me argue. But most believe Wright's shitty year last year was a fluke. He's much younger, and has tremendous physical talent. With Haden emerging at as our #1, that's taking pressure off of Wright. Sheldon is at the end of his career, that's what happens with older CBs. They get moved to nickel.

As for the Adams/Elam debate. They both had two picks. Elam started most of the games, but Adams played very well when called upon. They're both middle of the road safeties at best. They're both the same age, Adams has more experience. Neither have any remarkable physical ability. Honestly, it doesn't matter who starts, we need a playmaker either way.

You are right I forgot about his INT in Tampa, but Just from watching the games you can see that when Adam played he had less ability and instinct than Elam. Elam isn't the best safety but he is still better at Adam's who is a just a good CB/S hybrid backup. But it doesn't matter because both are going to be 30 next year and we need a FS since Elam is more of a SS and Adam's just isn't good enough to start.

Archived