THE BROWNS BOARD

Patrick Peterson

SJ_Browns

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/118063844.html

LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson will visit the Browns today, according to reports published by NationalFootballPost.com and Cle.Scout.com.

The 6-foot, 219-pound Peterson stood out last month at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis by running the 40-yard dash in 4.34 seconds. He has often been labeled as the best cornerback in the draft and a virtual lock to become a top-10 pick.

In a combine interview, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert said he would not hesitate to select a cornerback in the first round for the second consecutive year after drafting Joe Haden seventh overall in 2010. On Monday, Browns President Mike Holmgren identified the team's defensive secondary as an area of need.

''We added some people to the secondary last year, which really helped us. But they are young,'' Holmgren said. ''You can never have too many corners.''

Browns' Johnston picked

USA Football, the sport's national governing body, has named Browns strength and conditioning coach Kent Johnston to its Football and Wellness Committee, a group designed to further promote best practices for youth and amateur football. Johnston's resume includes more than 25 years of coaching experience on the collegiate and professional levels.

''Bringing these leaders and their diversity of expertise together through USA Football's resources and programs is significant for the sport,'' USA Football Executive Director Scott Hallenbeck said in a statement.

''We're proud to bring coach Johnston's knowledge and integrity to America's grassroots football community.''

— Nate Ulrich

The more I read Holmgrens comments the more I think he is targeting Peterson. He has said "You can never have too many corners." in 2 seperate articles. I dont agree with him at all unless Peterson can play FS. Our focus needs to be on the front 7. Rush the QB and mediocre CBs will look like all stars.

Of course even though I would prefer Brown to be at Safety and Peterson at corner, if Peterson is such a shut down threat that they just don't target his side of the field, he could be moved to safety considering you can't just avoid a safety as well as a corner. Either way you can't just ignore Peterson's side with Haden on the other anyway. You can't ignore both sides while throwing.

Just thinking about Peterson and Haden along with TJ Ward and Sheldon Brown/Abe Elam/Eric Wright at safety gives me a bit of a chub.

If we address CB again now, we dont have to do it next year or the following year. We need another CB, period. I dont care what all our major needs are, CB is a need and we will be taking one high either this year or next, unless we sign a Nnamdi Asomugha for a large contract.

Archived