THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Cribbs Now Expendable?

Thomaspro

I talked about this with my friend last night. It's very possible that we could cut Cribbs after this season. We will see how he does with this new rule. Hopefully he can still be effective. He's a class guy and the fan favorite. I would hate to see him go.

I think people are over-reacting to this rule. Not every kick-off is going to go soaring through the end-zone. I think, statistically, about 68% of kicks will be returned instead of 84%. So a guy like Cribbs gets 34 returns instead of 40. That still 34 opportunites for a game-breaking play.

I think guys like Cribbs and Brad Smith will still be very valuable, because those guys will be allowed to return the kicks out of the end zones. It's the teams that don't have a premier kick returner that will just down it in the end zone and start at the 20. I'm glad they didn't change the stsrting point to the 25, or everyone would have grounded it.

Zombo

--Cribbs is one of our best assets, I'm befuddled by folks who seem in a hurry to get rid of him.

I think people are over-reacting to this rule. Not every kick-off is going to go soaring through the end-zone. I think, statistically, about 68% of kicks will be returned instead of 84%. So a guy like Cribbs gets 34 returns instead of 40. That still 34 opportunites for a game-breaking play.

I think guys like Cribbs and Brad Smith will still be very valuable, because those guys will be allowed to return the kicks out of the end zones. It's the teams that don't have a premier kick returner that will just down it in the end zone and start at the 20. I'm glad they didn't change the stsrting point to the 25, or everyone would have grounded it.

Zombo

--Cribbs is one of our best assets, I'm befuddled by folks who seem in a hurry to get rid of him.

on the flip side, guys that are premier kickers become more valuable. They can choose to leg it out for a touchback or kick it for more precision accuracy which enables the premier returners to try and take it home.

There will still be opportunities.

Zombo

on the flip side, guys that are premier kickers become more valuable. They can choose to leg it out for a touchback or kick it for more precision accuracy which enables the premier returners to try and take it home.

There will still be opportunities.

This rule is one of the dumbest Ive heard the owners come up with. In fact there will probably be more returned kicks this year than last. The coverage units now have a even better chance of pinning you inside the 20 with a short kick. Coverage units now can get to the returner faster than ever. Which leads to even more injuries........SUPPOSEDLY!!

NFL Owners = RetardED

"cribbs is one of our best assets" - zombo

that in and of itself says ALOT about the browns and none of it good. look, the guys NOT a legit WR, he's not a legit RB and he's not a legit QB.

dump him. trade him. cut him. just don't overpay a guy because he's a gifted athlete.

he's like the opposite of M.C. hammer. instead of "too legit to quit" he's "not legit enough to start"

More borderline trolling by you.

I see Cribbs having a bigger role in the offense than he did last year anyway. Less WildDawg but more plays in at WR and possibly scat back. Plus don't forget he still returns punts.

Plus I just saw this on ESPN, the coverage team is only allowed to be 5 yards behind the ball instead of 10-15 yards like they normally are. That means the coverage guys are not going to get down there as quick, or at the same time as they normally do so we should still see plenty of good kick returns.

"cribbs is one of our best assets" - zombo

that in and of itself says ALOT about the browns and none of it good. look, the guys NOT a legit WR, he's not a legit RB and he's not a legit QB.

If they still wanted to run some of the Wilddawg offense however, he could certainly have value there. (though, I don't think the Browns want to run all that much of that)

dump him. trade him. cut him. just don't overpay a guy because he's a gifted athlete.

he's like the opposite of M.C. hammer. instead of "too legit to quit" he's "not legit enough to start"

The way I see it, 75-80% of the kickoffs that are made now don't even make it down to the 5 yard line. So, now, kickers may actually be able to kick the ball to the goal line. There will still be plenty of runbacks. Plus, as mentioned, teams may be more inclined to try the Pooch or Mortar kicks as I have heard them called in order to try to pin teams back inside the 20. This may lead to more kickoffs....plus it may lead to more attempts at trick plays on kickoffs....more reverses, more "Music City Miracle" type plays, etc.

I see Cribbs having a bigger role in the offense than he did last year anyway. Less WildDawg but more plays in at WR and possibly scat back. Plus don't forget he still returns punts.

Plus I just saw this on ESPN, the coverage team is only allowed to be 5 yards behind the ball instead of 10-15 yards like they normally are. That means the coverage guys are not going to get down there as quick, or at the same time as they normally do so we should still see plenty of good kick returns.

I would imagine the added hangtime on the kickoffs will way more than make up for the shorter running start. We will see plenty of fair catches between the 15-20 yd range or more injuries from returners trying to turn a negative to a positive. Still the opportunity will be there for a big play but the percentages say it will happen less frequently.

Plus I just saw this on ESPN, the coverage team is only allowed to be 5 yards behind the ball instead of 10-15 yards like they normally are. That means the coverage guys are not going to get down there as quick, or at the same time as they normally do so we should still see plenty of good kick returns. Hillis

Exactly. Nice post.

It helps Cribbs that we play outdoors. Winds will hold up kicks, as it will push some out, but if we were in a dome all it would take was an above average legged kicker to boot it out.

And like one said, who knows maybe there will be more opportunities, but when you have a proven kick returner, I kind of have my doubts.

Zombo

Hillis-iz-Boss, on 23 March 2011 - 12:18 PM, said:

excellent points, fellas! my feelings exactly. i think some browns fans are way too quick to dismiss cribbs and assume that he'll be useless to the browns now. i think something like this will make a guy like cribbs fight even harder than he already does.

Cribbs himself has tweeted his disappointment of this rule change but he seems personally more concerned with the fact that the league are masquerading this as a player safety driven rule change - Cribbs comment on that was that it is BS, literally - he's a guy that always wants the ball and fully healthy will still make an impact whether lined up on offense or on ST. He is certainly not expendable - last year he didn't have a great season but 4 dislocated toes and a QB merrygoround will do that to you, he was a bit of a decoy last year, I think this year we see him produce much more on offense.

I think that cribbs can be a weapon with other viable receivers around him. Hit him on a five yard pattern if he is open and look out. He will draw attention so you could run him through an area and then send the running back into the same area which is now cleared out

It helps Cribbs that we play outdoors. Winds will hold up kicks, as it will push some out, but if we were in a dome all it would take was an above average legged kicker to boot it out.

And like one said, who knows maybe there will be more opportunities, but when you have a proven kick returner, I kind of have my doubts.

Agreed, Cribbs will get his turns come late fall and winter when the cold and the winds take away some of the kickers leg

With change in the kick off rule, does this make Cribbs expendable? Will Heckert and Holmgren look at possible trades now to fill another hole with the trade of Cribbs once the new CBA starts?

I still think he has vaue to this team, both at receiver and special teams, but not like he did before

Special teams will adapt. It will be easier to start at the twenty, and harder to kick shorter and accurate for a lot of kickers, I think.

On returns, look for gadget plays more often - like Cribbs' pass across the field to Wright for a big return.

Cribbs is a very smart guy, who is pretty fast and athletic - he can do a lot of cool things for a team. Of course he isn't expendable.

the steeler fans just continue to show why they don't contribute anything of value to this board. to continue to say that cribbs is the ONLY playmaker on the browns just shows how dumb they are. i think ben watson and hillis (hillis had 13 tds) are playmakers. you also can't count out people like evan moore and a great fb in vickers. the part that kills me is the idiot acts like the browns current roster is what they'll be marching into next season with. even with a lockout, there's still going to be a draft and free agency. i would think those 2 things could significantly upgrade the browns roster. esp. with a guy like heckert as the gm. bring in a wr via fa, draft or trade and that just makes robo's, cribbs' and mo mass' jobs easier. but hey, i guess some people have nothing better to do than to troll and post brain dead, idiotic opinions and worst case scenarios as if they're facts. whatever is going to happen with the browns will happen and stupid steeler fans will have no control over that outcome.

I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cribbs. But something happened to him this past year. I know a lot of people are pointing to his injuries and this could be it. But his approach to kick-off returns was completely different. He used to get up to top speed in 10 yards or so and, if there was a hole, look-out, he was gone. This year, even before the injuries, he would kinda jog the first 10 to 15 yards and then look for an opening. Even if he found one, he would soon be tackled a few yards downfield bacause he was not traveling anywhere near as fast.

Maybe it was coaching, maybe it was the injuries, maybe it was a change in his usually more reckless style. But the drop-off was significant and he really doesn't have another legit position. I was hoping that they were going to make him the 3rd string QB and a kick-off/punt returner. At least it would have saved a roster spot!

Anyway, only Cribbs and the Browns know for sure what's going on and what the plans are. I do hope we keep him because if anyone deserves a second chance, it's Cribbs. Having said that, if he's dealt for draft choices sometime before September, I wouldn't be completely shocked.

We will still need a fast strong guy like cribbs to return the ball maybe more than ever with the rule changes, cribbs is still very capable of ripping off big returns even from the endzone and i think to many fans read into cribbs injury induced poor performance last year that is when teams actually kicked it to him...

Josh is also a viable YAC WR and could be further developed as a weapon of war by shurmur, i think this year will show us all rather josh is worth his price or not to this club and im betting he finds a way to get it done..

Sj ....silverback isn't that far off base. Perhaps ur really missing who the idiot is.

Take off the rose colored glasses and look at our roster objectively. Watson is a satisfactory te....Moore has good hands, sure....but look who is throwing the ball. Young and inexperienced....not a playmaker in the wr corps at all. Vickers isn't a playmaker....he's a blocker. Hillis slowed with injuries. No other rbs to mention.

U talk about what COULD be....he was only saying what is. Could a wr be acquired to help draw coverages? Sure....depends who though. Outside of green in the draft, just who steps in at the position and makes our wr corps a threat? Speaking in terms of what positive could happens ignores the possibility robo could continue to suck, cribbs never accels, momass regresses, Mitchell never gets it and green never lives up to the hype. McCoy was 2-6....temper the enthusiasm until anyone of them prove they can actually produce results.

If this team had playmakers, we would be better than 5-11 the past 3 seasons. Now we are installing new systems on both sides of the ball, with a reduced amount of time to complete it with the lockout. If u think shits gonna magically get better this year, u very well may be the idiot here. The difference between ur best case scenario argument and what actually is.

You just provided a quality example of how Brown fan doesn't even

know what playmakers ever are. A "playmaker" is a player who can

make huge plays (usually TDs) in situations where "non-playmakers"

could not make the play - you know, like, such athleticism that they

go 80s yards on THEIR pure ability. A plugging FB running a 2-yard

TD DOES NOT QUALIFY. Ben Watson's lumbering catch and runs do NOT

QUALIFY. The above ramblings clearly demonstrate that you are

clueless in your attempt to even grasp what being a playmaker

even means.

Actually the fact that you tried running down the Browns team in a post 2 days ago that got deleted shows your here trolling.

No, I posted a factual analysis of how CLE is behind the 8-ball

with the lock out and it got deleted b/c too many in here have

the tenacity of a crystal glass. Brown fan, by in large, tends

to put their heads in the sand and avoid reality, if reality

paints a picture that isn't gum drops and cotton candy about

the Browns. It's kind of sad. But having lived off the shores

of Lake Erie for many years, I witnessed this first hand with

a plethora of repeat instances showcasing this trend.

No your post was insulting and degrading to the team and the fan base. And you posted it through the lense of s Steelers fan that wanted to run down the Browns organization. That is why it was deleted. There was nothing unbiased about your post what so ever. If it was such a great post the mods would nout have deleted it no matter how many Browns fans responded to it. The post was plain insulting. Get over yourself troll. Your scribblings smell like Homotron.

sniveling hack, give it a rest. You squeeler trolls play like you can be intimidating online like

you and your bandwagoners think your team is.

Wrong on both counts.

Archived