THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Haden The Cleveland Fan

SJ_Browns

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localcle/20110323/ts_yblog_localcle/joe-haden-doesnt-wear-yankee-hats-he-wears-full-cavs-uniforms

When LeBron James wore that hat to the Indians' game it wasn't cool. Cleveland definitely didn't like it, we made a huge deal about it and as sports fans in this town, we'll never forget it.

But just as wearing that hat represented a new level of sucktitude, on Monday night at the Cavaliers game, Joe Haden represented a new level of awesomeness.

It was one thing when Haden was sitting courtside with TJ Ward wearing a Daniel Gibson jersey going crazy as the Cavs rallied back to win a few weeks ago. But on Monday night, dude wore a complete uniform.

I mean think about that for a second. He had the shorts, headband, shoes, whatever, the whole deal. He was dressed, ready to check in and score more points than Ryan Hollins had Byron signaled him to the scorer's table.

But it wasn't just the first-round draft pick of the Cleveland Browns who dressed up in support of the Cleveland basketball playing Cavaliers either, his whole crew did. No, not his marketing firm; just Haden, his brother Jonathan, and his friend Rico.

All three of them sitting there courtside during the game looked geniune too. But more than that, they reminded me of high school seniors dressed up as their school's version of the Cameron Crazies for the varsity basketball game. It is a pretty rare thing for an NFL star to do something like that these days, and it was great to see a Cleveland Brown like Haden do it.

The truth is, had he done the latter and worn a Dwight Howard or Jameer Nelson jersey and said it was because they were great friends from somewhere and they support each other or some line of best friend forever garbage that we often here from the NBA and NFL circles, it would be national news. We'd be talking about it non-stop, and there would be tons of people who no longer root for or like Joe Haden in this town. I understand all that, and it's fair, but I also think what he did should get as much or more attention than had he done the opposite. It's a feel-good story, yo.

And beyond just styling the hometown Wine and Gold, it shouldn't be brushed off and forgotten that this same Joe Haden could be subsequently found in the concourse at The Q for up to an hour after the game signing autographs, taking pictures with fans, and just laughing with people who thought it was funny he was wearing a full uniform. Sure, it's what we say our sports players are "supposed to do", but how many of them do it? Or how many do in a fun way like that? In support of a last place team that is awful no-less.

At the same time, nobody's inferring that Haden will one day fill the void left by that other guy. He's obviously not football's version of the superstar that LeBron James was or is (though he wears No. 23) and I understand that everything LeBron does is news. But Joe Haden is a top-10 pick who played like a top-10 pick in his first NFL season. He's a baller in his own right to be sure and as much as I was excited about his prospects as a player from watching him this season, I'm even more encouraged by the type of person Joe Haden looks like he wants to be in this community.

Basically, I just appreciated him showing up like he did to that Cavs game and I hope he keeps doing things like that around here in the future. All we've ever asked the athletes we root for in this town is that they be fans of Cleveland too. It's great to see that Joe Haden is that so far.

It doesn't hurt that he's a shutdown corner either.

You have to love a guy like Haden. Not only is he a good cb for the Browns, he's also becoming one of us very quickly. He goes to alot of LEM games and I won't be suprised if he shows up at an Indians or Gladiators game (he might have been at the Glads game last week).

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/03/browns_joe_haden_rocks_cavalie.html

For the second straight Cavaliers game, Browns cornerback Joe Haden sat courtside at Quicken Loans Arena, wearing a full Cavs uniform. This time, he also sported an Anderson Varejao wig.

On Monday, Haden showed up wearing the home whites, complete with bright gold headband and wristbands for the Cavs' game against the Magic.

Haden's getup caught the attention of Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, who tweeted, "Thanks 4 your big time support Joe (& all Cavs fans). Sorry we didn't deliver 2Nite. This pain will continue 2 be our motivation..."

In an interview with Jeff Phelps during the Fox Sports Ohio broadcast last night, Haden hinted he's not done showing up to games in full uniform.

What's the deal? Is Haden trying to eventually work his way onto the Cavs' bench? With the team's 13-57 record, would that be such a bad thing?

Check out more coverage of Joe Haden, Cavs Super Fan:

Joe Haden interview

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/03/browns_joe_haden_rocks_cavalie.html

For the second straight Cavaliers game, Browns cornerback Joe Haden sat courtside at Quicken Loans Arena, wearing a full Cavs uniform. This time, he also sported an Anderson Varejao wig.

On Monday, Haden showed up wearing the home whites, complete with bright gold headband and wristbands for the Cavs' game against the Magic.

Haden's getup caught the attention of Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, who tweeted, "Thanks 4 your big time support Joe (& all Cavs fans). Sorry we didn't deliver 2Nite. This pain will continue 2 be our motivation..."

In an interview with Jeff Phelps during the Fox Sports Ohio broadcast last night, Haden hinted he's not done showing up to games in full uniform.

What's the deal? Is Haden trying to eventually work his way onto the Cavs' bench? With the team's 13-57 record, would that be such a bad thing?

Check out more coverage of Joe Haden, Cavs Super Fan:

Joe Haden interview

Well, if Jordan could play baseball, why not Joe playing some B-ball? I heard he was pretty decent. Actually, I'm sure there's something in Joe's contract (injury risk) that would prevent him from stepping on the court. My opinion of Joe just went up a couple of notches.

But getting back to LeQuit, those Yankees and Cowboys caps should have been the big tipoff he was no fan of Cleveland or our sports teams. So how's being a frontrunner with the Cheat working out for you LeBum?

hadencavs.jpgYou have to love this guy - it's a huge, huge boost to draft a very, very talented player, with high class CHARACTER and SMARTS. That's how you build a TEAM that never quits, and doesn't alienate teammates and fans.

That's the difference between being a locker room cancer/loudmouth quitter like lebum.... and a fan favorite who inspires his teammates, the city and the fans.

I would go to a Cavs game just to see Joe Haden wear that Varejao wig. LOL I believe the Browns will not draft a high character risk in the next draft. So often - even if

it pays off short-term, you still lose long term. Ya gotta have heart to be in my Browns mock draft. @@

But getting back to LeQuit, those Yankees and Cowboys caps should have been the big tipoff he was no fan of Cleveland or our sports teams. So how's being a frontrunner with the Cheat working out for you LeBum?

good point. we saw a good number of warning signs, but alot of us (myself included) ignored them. hey, you live and you learn. and i'm sure things aren't working out as quickly as lefraud thought they would. on a seperate note, mike bibby has to be pissed he left all of that loot on the table to go ring chasing.

My friend has run into him out a lot around here. He really does seem like he is taking to the town and making it home. I really am glad to have this type of guy on our team. My friend even got a pic and auto. from him.

Yeah LeFraud is truly a Fraud and a Front runner, i mean to wear Yankee hats and Cowboy shit to a Browns and Indian Game..When you were born in Ohio you are truly a peice of work...

Now to Haden i absoultely love his charcater and the way he embraces the city of Cleveland, heres to more players like him for years to come...Thats what we need to build a championship not just players playing because there here in Cleveland collecting a check, but actually know the History behind the Browns and just how much it means to this City and its Fans

i hope haden has a great career in cleveland. i know that players who are originally from another city probably rooted for non-cleveland teams before they came here. but you really appreciate when they don't throw it in your face. just show us some respect. that's not too much to ask for. guys like haden get it.

Haden is one of us. He gets it. Now I wanna see Varejao show up to a Browns game in full uniform, pads helmet and all with those crazy a$$ curls sticking out of the ear holes.

DWJ

Haden is one of us. He gets it. Now I wanna see Varejao show up to a Browns game in full uniform, pads helmet and all with those crazy a$$ curls sticking out of the ear holes.

DWJ

Being a Brazilian, Varajao would probably be more into Futbol than Football.

Instead of him, how about we look for whomever the Cavs pick first in the draft this year to do what you suggest. It could be the #1 overall, or at least one of the top 3-4....be that Derek Williams or Harrison Barnes or whomever.

this was so awesome when I saw this on the news. For those of you who follow cribbs and joe on twitter, their posts during the game were so amazing. It really makes me proud that guys love Cleveland as much as the fans do. It makes me feel good to be a cleveland fan.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x250634106/Browns-Haden-will-sponsor-Plain-baseball-team

PLAIN TWP. — Joe Haden’s Cleveland Browns are in limbo until the NFL lockout ends, but don’t call him a man without a team.

The rising football star has a vested baseball interest right here in Stark County.

He is sponsoring “Haden’s Nation,” a 12-year-old team in the Plain Local Baseball and Softball Association.

The relationship came more or less out of the blue. Here’s how:

League official Roy Allison texted Mike Clapper, the 12-year-old team’s manager, to say last year’s sponsor had backed out.

Just then, Clapper — and about 30,000 others who follow Haden on Twitter — got a Tweet from their favorite cornerback.

Clapper got the bright idea to direct a request, via Twitter, for Haden to sponsor his team.

Like that was going to happen.

“Less than a minute later, I got a direct response from Joe,” Clapper said. “He asked me for my number and called. He asked how much, and when was it due.

“That was on April 1. When I let Roy know, he thought it was an April Fool’s joke.”

Clapper is an autograph hound who knows the ropes of working team hotels for signatures.

He said he has bumped into Haden several times, but doubts Haden remembers him.

He supposes Haden was simply reaching out on the spur of the moment when he heard an idea he liked.

Haden arranged for Clapper to meet his manager, Sean Cabble, at the Bulls-Cavaliers game Friday. There, Cabble handed the $325 sponsorship fee to Clapper.

The idea for the team name — Haden’s Nation — comes from the cornerback himself. The season starts in three weeks at Diamond Park.

Clapper understands that it’s not as if a guy like Haden — the No. 7 overall pick in last April’s NFL draft — can’t afford the sponsorship fee.

He simply thinks it was a class act by a young man — Haden will turn 22 Thursday — willing to share the time of day. “The boys seem pretty excited,” Clapper said. “Joe said he hopes to come down to a couple of games.”

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x250634106/Browns-Haden-will-sponsor-Plain-baseball-team

PLAIN TWP. — Joe Haden’s Cleveland Browns are in limbo until the NFL lockout ends, but don’t call him a man without a team.

The rising football star has a vested baseball interest right here in Stark County.

He is sponsoring “Haden’s Nation,” a 12-year-old team in the Plain Local Baseball and Softball Association.

The relationship came more or less out of the blue. Here’s how:

League official Roy Allison texted Mike Clapper, the 12-year-old team’s manager, to say last year’s sponsor had backed out.

Just then, Clapper — and about 30,000 others who follow Haden on Twitter — got a Tweet from their favorite cornerback.

Clapper got the bright idea to direct a request, via Twitter, for Haden to sponsor his team.

Like that was going to happen.

“Less than a minute later, I got a direct response from Joe,” Clapper said. “He asked me for my number and called. He asked how much, and when was it due.

“That was on April 1. When I let Roy know, he thought it was an April Fool’s joke.”

Clapper is an autograph hound who knows the ropes of working team hotels for signatures.

He said he has bumped into Haden several times, but doubts Haden remembers him.

He supposes Haden was simply reaching out on the spur of the moment when he heard an idea he liked.

Haden arranged for Clapper to meet his manager, Sean Cabble, at the Bulls-Cavaliers game Friday. There, Cabble handed the $325 sponsorship fee to Clapper.

The idea for the team name — Haden’s Nation — comes from the cornerback himself. The season starts in three weeks at Diamond Park.

Clapper understands that it’s not as if a guy like Haden — the No. 7 overall pick in last April’s NFL draft — can’t afford the sponsorship fee.

He simply thinks it was a class act by a young man — Haden will turn 22 Thursday — willing to share the time of day. “The boys seem pretty excited,” Clapper said. “Joe said he hopes to come down to a couple of games.”

Nice!

Zombo

I brought this up a couple weeks ago, but back in the day Browns players came out in droves to Cavs games at the Coliseum, it was the place to be for them even though the Cavs sucked back then. This was before the Price, Nance, Harper, Daugherty Hot Rod, Ehlo and Kerr era really kicked in. It was cool and since the Coliseum was usually empty, you could go down and shoot the shit with the guys.

It was cool and since the Coliseum was usually empty, you could go down and shoot the shit with the guys.

half these thread starters weren't even an itch in their daddies pants when the COLISEUM was in effect. saw many a awesome concert there in the 70's. and if any of these little poster twits can remember MUNICIPAL STADIUM then they might remember the "world series of rock".......doubt it.

game one=pink floyd animals. never forget it.

You have to love a guy like Haden. Not only is he a good cb for the Browns, he's also becoming one of us very quickly. He goes to alot of LEM games and I won't be suprised if he shows up at an Indians or Gladiators game (he might have been at the Glads game last week).

Could not agree more. I feel we finally got a great 1st round pick. I see nothing but a great future for him and us. His "23" number will be one the very popular jerseys to get.

Could not agree more. I feel we finally got a great 1st round pick. I see nothing but a great future for him and us. His "23" number will be one the very popular jerseys to get.

Yeah...If Heckert keeps picking 1st rounders like Joe, he'll become a Cleveland legend!!!

BTW, Haden WILL be my next jersey.

Mike

it's nice to know that we have a #23 that we can get behind and support because he does the same for us.

Archived