THE BROWNS BOARD

Sheldon Brown

SJ_Browns

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2011/03/24/browns-cb-sheldon-brown-rehabbing-after-shoulder-surgery-expects-to-be-ready-for-training-camp/

Browns cornerback Sheldon Brown had surgery after the season to repair a torn rotator cuff, he said Thursday, and rehabs two hours every morning in Charlotte, N.C. He expects to be 100 percent by June.

“I won’t miss time,” he said by phone on his way to rehab.

Brown had the surgery a couple of weeks after the season when rehab didn’t improve the tear. The surgery was done in New York by the same doctor who repaired a torn labrum in the same shoulder (right) after the 2005 season.

Brown injured the shoulder against Buffalo on Dec. 12, but continued to play, extending his consecutive-games streak to 144.

General manager Tom Heckert acquired Brown, who turned 32 Saturday, last offseason in a trade with Philadelphia. At the scouting combine last month, Heckert was asked about a possible switch to safety.

“We really haven’t talked about it,” Heckert said. “I think that’s something he could do, but right now he’s going to stay at corner.”

Brown doesn’t care. He started his college career at safety and said he’ll do whatever the team asks, including moving to safety or coming off the bench.

“I’m just looking to win football games,” he said. “Safety is what I played until my junior year in college. I’m a football player at the end of the day. I believe in Tom.”

Brown and Joe Haden are penciled in to start in 2011 if the work stoppage ends. Eric Wright, tendered as a restricted free agent, could also be in the mix.

LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson has been mentioned as a possibility for the Browns at No. 6 in the draft.

“He won’t be there. But if he is, we should grab him,” Brown said. “We need to draft a cornerback.”

Brown also weighed in on the lockout. As a veteran, he feels for the young players who aren’t as financially secure. But he maintains today’s players have a responsibility to the former players whose sacrifices led to greater benefits for the next generation.

“That’s why we have to work so hard for a deal to get done,” he said. “I know how far we’ve come.

“It’s not about us individually. It’s about the future of the game, the guys coming after us.”

Brown is a class act, and fits with the Browns hugely.

He tore his rotator cuff?

I did that in June last year, had surgery in July, and finished physical therapy just before Christmas.

But mine was a complete tear, hopefully his wasn't and will rehab faster.

But playing with any significant injury takes serious guts I think.

Agreed. I really like this player's character and his attitude. I have a "significant" tear in my dominant shoulder. A combination of natural adrenaline of playing sports and perhaps for a professional athlete like Brown, a cordisone injection to bring down the swelling, and it's manageable pain/movement for many sports (baseball pitchers excluded here). But still, it hurts like hell an hour after you leave the field and the next day. I'm talking keep-you-awake-at-night pain. But whatever, you've got to respect him for playing through the injury.

Ya cant help but to love browns style a lot, he is very aggressive and a ballhawk and plays through the pain without making excuses..

A healthy sheldon brown regardless of his age will contribute greatly to this club in the 4-3 rather he is playing CB or FS, he is a guy we need in there playing as much as possible..

I want to see all the people who were bitching about Browns level of play know. Everyone knew that he was playing with a shoulder injury for around half the season, but he still managed to go out there every Sunday and do the best he could with one arm. This guy is a class act and a leader in the locker room. I wouldn't be surprised to see him wearing a C on his chest next to Fujita next year.

Ya, but do we really want two of our most impacting starters returning kicks at more risk of getting injured. Cribbs is like a 4/5 WR. Doesnt really hurt us on offense if he gets hurt. Haden and/or Peterson would be great as a secondary returner if Cribbs got hurt, but with the new rules, I dont see us throwing a starter back there. Maybe we could throw Eric Wright back there if Cribbs got hurt.

No need to get a starter hurt if Cribbs went down.

But I knew Brown was playing hurt all season. He seemed to favor his shoulder all year long. You would be surprised how tough it is to run, even with a bad shoulder. I dislocated my shoulder and after it got put back in, trying to run works your shoulder. It depends how much pain you wanna stick out, but you are not at full speed.

So if Brown does not mind safety do you pull the trigger on Peterson at 6 if he is there? Now you have 2 holes filled on defense. And you can concentrate on DL and a WR the rest of the draft. Oh and a RT of course.

Does it matter what position Brown plays? He's not even in the top half of the league's starting CBs, much less worth being the factor as to whether or not we draft Peterson.

If we draft Peterson, he'll be better than Brown out of the gates.

Remeber Peterson can also return. Again makes Cribbs a bit more expendable. Joe Haden can also do returns.

Ya but you really don't want your starting corners returning kicks. That's why we picked up a free agent to return kicks last year instead of having Haden do them. Cribbs can do it because he is only in on like 30% of the offensive plays so if he gets injured it doesn't hamper our offense that much.

Does it matter what position Brown plays? He's not even in the top half of the league's starting CBs, much less worth being the factor as to whether or not we draft Peterson.

If we draft Peterson, he'll be better than Brown out of the gates.

I agree that Peterson would be better than Brown right out of the gates, but I think Brown is still a good starting corner. His bad play was due to injury not ability and he still managed to put together some good games.

I agree that Peterson would be better than Brown right out of the gates, but I think Brown is still a good starting corner. His bad play was due to injury not ability and he still managed to put together some good games.

I disagree.

Brown couldn't put together some of the blitz packages, nor was he quick enough to recover on plays that blew the top off. He's got a good mental game to him, but it's fairly obvious he's now a below-average to average CB at best.

I disagree.

Brown couldn't put together some of the blitz packages, nor was he quick enough to recover on plays that blew the top off. He's got a good mental game to him, but it's fairly obvious he's now a below-average to average CB at best.

I still have to disagree. I mean I can see where you are coming from but I still attribute that stuff to his shoulder. As someone already said your shoulder is involved when you run (pumping your arms). When you have a tear your going to feel that and it's going to slow you down to a point and honestly I am not to worries about a CB not being the best at his blitz packages, I am worried about how he can cover. But I guess we will have to wait and see until next season if his play was based on injury or age.

I'm not so sure moving Brown to saftey fills a need. I think Mr. Abe can get the job done.

I do to. I think he did a great job during the last half of the season and he made some good strides. Having said that he is a Mangini guy and there is no guarantee that he is even going to be resigned, even though it is a good sign that he has been working out with Ward, Haden, and Wright. If Abe is resigned and Peterson is drafted, I think we will see Brown move to both nickle corner and FS so that he is still on the field alot. Abe would end up playing both SS and FS so that he would be in when Brown is in the nickle or when Ward needs a break and I would think that he would still see at least 50% of the snaps on the field.

Archived