THE BROWNS BOARD

Final Four Trivia

The Gipper

Here is trivia on the Final Four.....it is most but not all NCAA Division I Final Four. A few kickers thrown in:

1. This is the 14th visit to the Final Four for Kentucky. Name the only schools that have been to more Final Fours.

2. What year did Kentucky make its first Final Four?

What year was last year before this year they made it?

3. This is UConn's 4th Final Four visit. What year did Connecticut make its first Final Four appearance?

4. What team has lost the national title game the most times?

5. Whose "brainchild" was the NCAA Tournament?

6. This year VCU from the Colonial and Butler from the Horizon made the Final Four. Last year Butler of the Horizon made it and in 2006 George Mason of the Colonial made it. Prior to George Mason, when was the last year a team from a "non-power conference" made the Final Four?

(note: for this question I consider Conference USA a "power conference")

7. There has also been a "Final Four" in professional football since 1960...including NFL/AFL.

Which team or teams have made the Professional Football final four the most times since 1960?

8. Other than the Texans who have never made the playoffs, which team or teams have made the Professional Football final four the fewest times since 1960?

9. What school was the lowest seeded team to ever win the NCAA Championship (since 1979)?

10. What are the only 2 schools to have met head to head in the NCAA National Title game more than once?

11. Who won the Most Oustanding Player of the NCAA Tournament the most times?

12. What schools played in this year's Men's Division III Final Four?

Bonus: What college did the Final Four Head Coaches attend:

Jim Calhoun:

John Calipari:

Shaka Smart:

Brad Stevens:

Here is trivia on the Final Four.....it is most but not all NCAA Division I Final Four. A few kickers thrown in:

Basketball is not my area of expertise, but I will throw some shit on the wall and see if it sticks:

1. This is the 14th visit to the Final Four for Kentucky. Name the only schools that have been to more Final Fours.

North Carolina and UCLA

Not a complete correct answer, but as Meat Loaf said, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

2. What year did Kentucky make its first Final Four? 1941

What year was last year before this year they made it? 1998

I am going to give you full credit for this. You are dead on on the second answer, and within the range of error on the first (the range of error being 1 year)

3. This is UConn's 4th Final Four visit. What year did Connecticut make its first Final Four appearance?

Good effort, but not in the range of error.

North Carolina

No

Adolf Rupp

No

6. This year VCU from the Colonial and Butler from the Horizon made the Final Four. Last year Butler of the Horizon made it and in 2006 George Mason of the Colonial made it. Prior to George Mason, when was the last year a team from a "non-power conference" made the Final Four?

Penn from the Ivy League 1978

No, it has been more recent than that.

7. There has also been a "Final Four" in professional football since 1960...including NFL/AFL.

Which team or teams have made the Professional Football final four the most times since 1960?

Pittsburgh and Dallas

If your answer is that both of these teams have been to the "Football Final Four" the same number of times, your answer is wrong. Nevertheless, you are white hot.

8. Other than the Texans who have never made the playoffs, which team or teams have made the Professional Football final four the fewest times since 1960?

Lions and Cardinals

Check

9. What school was the lowest seeded team to ever win the NCAA Championship (since 1979)?

Syracuse with Melo ... second guess would be kansas with Danny Manning

No, neither is correct.

10. What are the only 2 schools to have met head to head in the NCAA National Title game more than once?

Duke and Uconn

No

Jerry West

No

East Bumxxxx and Northern Titswallow

You only named two of the Final Four. You forgot Southern Clitlick and Western Wangho...

err...wait, none of those are actually right, though I think the one may be a drink.....yes, a little Jose Cuervo and OJ spells cunilingus..

Jim Calhoun:

John Calipari:

Shaka Smart:

Brad Stevens:

All I know about those guys is that Calipari is from Pittsburgh ... so I'll guess Duquesne for him.

Zombo

Duke and NC

2. What year did Kentucky make its first Final Four?

What year was last year before this year they made it?

1959 AND 1998

Ohio State

Adolph Hitler

Texas Southern

Cowboys or Steelers

Arizona and New Orleans

Villanova

Ohio State and Cincinnati

Kareem

Steelers and Browns

Jim Calhoun:

John Calipari:

Shaka Smart:

Brad Stevens:

No one else seems to want to try, so I will give the answers:

UCLA and North Carolina with 18 each, and Duke with 15 are the only schools to appear in more Final Fours than Kentucky. Had Kansas beaten VCU, they would have been tied with KY, but as it stands they have only been in 13. Next is Ohio State with 10 Final Fours.

2. What year did Kentucky make its first Final Four? 1942

What year was last year before this year they made it? 1998

Duke has lost the title game 6 times. Kansas is next with 5.

Phog Allen, legendary coach at Kansas. Their fieldhouse is named after him.

Utah from the WAC made it in 1998.

Conference USA used to include Marquette/Louisville/Cincinnati/DePaul and Memphis but those first 4 schools all ended up joining the Big East. I did not believe they should have done that. It gave the Big East 16 basketball schools. I consider that too unwieldy. The most a conference should be is 12 in my opinion.

The Dallas Cowboys have made 16 football "Final Fours". Next come the Steelers with 15, Raiders with 14, 49ers 12, Packers with 11. Browns have been in 'final four' 7 times. (1964, 1965, 1968, 1969, 1986, 1987, 1989)

The Lions and the Cardinals have only been in the "Final Four" 1 time each since 1960.....and unlike some other teams like the Jags/Carolina/Ravens etc. these two teams have been around the whole time since 1960.

Villanova, 1985 was an 8th seed. Lower seeds have made the Final Four, but none of them have won.

Ohio State and Cincinnati met in back to back years in 1961 and 1962, Cinci winning both times.

No other matchup has occurred more than once. (and it won't happen this year either)

Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) won 3 times. Several have won twice, including Bill Walton and Alex Groza.

St. Thomas of Minnesota won the title over the College of Wooster (Ohio) just down the road here about 20 miles. The others were Williams College (Mass.) and Middlebury (Vt.)

(by the way, Williams College is ranked the #1 academic college or Univesity in America...over Harvard/Yale etc. etc. by Forbes. Middlebury is ranked #26 overall)

Jim Calhoun: American International Univ.

John Calipari: Clarion State

Shaka Smart: Kenyon

Brad Stevens: DePauw (Note: this is not DePaul which is in Chicago. DePauw is in Indiana)

This just shows that good basketball coaches don't necessarily come from the big basketball factory schools. (though a few do: Roy Williams went to NC, Dean Smith went to Kansas)

Archived