THE BROWNS BOARD

Lerner Will Make Cleveland His Home This Fall

ATENEARS

Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner will make Cleveland his home this fall, son will attend St. Ignatius

Published: Tuesday, March 29, 2011

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer The Plain Dealer

John Kuntz/The Plain DealerRandy Lerner, who grew up in Cleveland, will return here so his son can attend St. Ignatius.

CLEVELAND -- Browns owner Randy Lerner will move back to Cleveland in the fall, but not for more hands-on involvement with the team, he told The Plain Dealer on Tuesday.

Lerner, 49, will make Cleveland his home base instead of Long Island, N.Y. because his son, Max, will enter St. Ignatius High School as a freshman in August.

"This has nothing to do with the Cleveland Browns or my role with the Browns,'' said Lerner. "I couldn't be happier with the professional management team in place. My spending more time here is to support my son, who's made the decision to attend St. Ignatius.''

Lerner, who's divorced, said Max became familiar with St. Ignatius from spending so much time in Cleveland and with the Browns over the years. He also heard great things about the school from Browns Senior Vice President of Security Lew Merletti, whose two sons graduated from there. His son, Matt, played football for St. Ignatius and now plays for former Browns coach Butch Davis at North Carolina.

Lerner, who grew up in Shaker Heights, said he'll live on the West Side to be close to St. Ignatius. He said he's been spending about two days a week in Cleveland since assuming control of the team in 2002 and now that will increase. He'll still spend time in New York, where his three other children live with his ex-wife, Lara. He'll also travel back and forth to England, where he owns the Aston Villa soccer team of the Premier League.

Lerner said his role with the Browns has much more to do with league matters than the day-to-day operation of the team and that he's happy to let club President Mike Holmgren run the show. He said he's been thrilled with the job General Manager Tom Heckert has done and that he's excited about new head coach Pat Shurmur.

Lerner declined to discuss the lockout, but said he has been involved in league meetings.

I posted this story ... but in doing so am I alone in thinking, WTF?

What's next, a picture of him eating pierogies?

West side? Maybe Westlake? Bay Village? Brecksville? Parma(LOL). I would have thought the Lerner's more of a Gates Mills, Pepper Pike or Moreland Hills type.

Like he said, to be closer to the school. It's also closer to Berea.

Start looking for gated communities on the west side and you might be able to pin it down.

Since this will more or less be a 3rd or 4th home, I doubt he is looking for a sizable lot where he can set up his own personal gated estate like he could on the east side where you do find 10 acre and better estates.

I wonder who will stay with them while Randy is out of town.....probably their version of Mr. French.

He also seems like a condo type of guy. Possibly purchase a couple of them to convert in to one on the Gold Coast at Winton Place, or one of the others.

West side? Maybe Westlake? Bay Village? Brecksville? Parma(LOL). I would have thought the Lerner's more of a Gates Mills, Pepper Pike or Moreland Hills type.

I am sure he is more of a Gates Mills kind of guy, though as mentioned, he grew up in Shaker Hts. I believe the family lived on North Park Ave. where there are some massive and massively beautiful homes.

But, yea, St. Ignatius is on the near West Side. Where is he going to live there? Riverview Towers? Hardly.

Aren't there some nice new condos in the Tremont area? Perhaps Randy will want to become gentrified.

Or, more likely as ballpeen said, somewhere on the Gold Coast. From there he can actually look out his penthouse window and keep his eye on Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Arguing over what suburb is best in Cleveland is like arguing over 2 hookers. They both suck.

Sorry I am a Browns fan through and through, but Cleveland sucks to live in. Horrible weather, no jobs and sad sack individuals that make mountains out of mole hills. I've never met such a large group of uninspired people ever. Get out.

Arguing over what suburb is best in Cleveland is like arguing over 2 hookers. They both suck.

Sorry I am a Browns fan through and through, but Cleveland sucks to live in. Horrible weather, no jobs and sad sack individuals that make mountains out of mole hills. I've never met such a large group of uninspired people ever. Get out.

Common man, it's no different then any northern city. You just quit. North Carolina isn't that great.

I don't want to take sides or get in the middle, but NC is pretty sweet. High taxes, so I like Tennessee better.

I won't put Cleveland down as I love the place.....to visit.

If I ever moved back it wouldn't take too many weeks in to Dec before I wondered what the heck I was thinking.

I am sure he is more of a Gates Mills kind of guy, though as mentioned, he grew up in Shaker Hts. I believe the family lived on North Park Ave. where there are some massive and massively beautiful homes.

But, yea, St. Ignatius is on the near West Side. Where is he going to live there? Riverview Towers? Hardly.

Aren't there some nice new condos in the Tremont area? Perhaps Randy will want to become gentrified.

Or, more likely as ballpeen said, somewhere on the Gold Coast. From there he can actually look out his penthouse window and keep his eye on Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Having grown up in columbus my entire life, except my short stint at BGSU (which had a lot of clevelanders), I have largely no what any of these areas are like

Common man, it's no different then any northern city. You just quit. North Carolina isn't that great.

No way. There are 10 northern cities better. And yea 20 second walk to the beach from my house is pretty sweet. Yes it is that great. Case and point, I don't think you have been down here in the summer. Thousands of hot single Russian chicks come to work here, they are basically begging to get banged.

The whole city of Cleveland is depressed. Everyone I talk to has some drama in their life. It's a city of whoa is me.

I don't want to take sides or get in the middle, but NC is pretty sweet. High taxes, so I like Tennessee better.

I won't put Cleveland down as I love the place.....to visit.

If I ever moved back it wouldn't take too many weeks in to Dec before I wondered what the heck I was thinking.

Yea I will visit because my family is there. I'll be there in May for my brother coming home from Afganistian and my sister graduating from college.

Other than family, a Browns, Indians or Cavs game can anyone give me a reason why Cleveland doesn't suck ass?

Having grown up in columbus my entire life, except my short stint at BGSU (which had a lot of clevelanders), I have largely no what any of these areas are like

Needless to say, these are the upscale suburbs of Cleveland. Here is a typical Gates Mills home:

GatesMills-754620.jpg

No way. There are 10 northern cities better. And yea 20 second walk to the beach from my house is pretty sweet. Yes it is that great. Case and point, I don't think you have been down here in the summer. Thousands of hot single Russian chicks come to work here, they are basically begging to get banged.

The whole city of Cleveland is depressed. Everyone I talk to has some drama in their life. It's a city of whoa is me.

I think the "woe is me" people of Cleveland are the ones who were gutless and ran off to places where they thought the grass was greener....like you. A place is what you make of it.

Don't blame geography for your personal inadequacies.

Yea I will visit because my family is there. I'll be there in May for my brother coming home from Afganistian and my sister graduating from college.

Other than family, a Browns, Indians or Cavs game can anyone give me a reason why Cleveland doesn't suck ass?

Apparently, it sucks a lot less by you not being here.

I think the "woe is me" people of Cleveland are the ones who were gutless and ran off to places where they thought the grass was greener....like you. A place is what you make of it.

Don't blame geography for your personal inadequacies.

LOL. Personal inadequacies. Yea dude the other 500k who left over the last 20 years must be wrong too. The weather, the people, the pollution, crime, 309 public officials convicted of crimes over the past 10 years, unemployment and the list goes on. You think that is "geography"? LOL.

And no those people are still there man. They are the ones posting on Facebook of how their life sucks because they got a flat tire, boo hoo. While I admire that you think it's cool to be a gluten for punishment, it blows my friend. It sucks, deal with it, grow up.

p.s. the grass is greener brother, trust me.

I have never seen it productive to make fun of where a person lives.

I grew up in Cleveland, and consider it my hometown even though I was actually born in Toledo.

As stated, I wouldn't want to move back, mostly due to climate, but I don't think it sucks.

As was said, maybe it sucked for you...that's cool. Maybe it works for others.

The point being don't use your experience as the standard by which you judge or hold others accountable.

I have never seen it productive to make fun of where a person lives.

I grew up in Cleveland, and consider it my hometown even though I was actually born in Toledo.

As stated, I wouldn't want to move back, mostly due to climate, but I don't think it sucks.

As was said, maybe it sucked for you...that's cool. Maybe it works for others.

The point being don't use your experience as the standard by which you judge or hold others accountable.

Peen I am not making fun of it, I am merely pointing out there are 100 different cities better to live in then Cleveland. I lived there 20 out of the 35 years on the planet. I have earned the right to say what I want about it.

LOL. Personal inadequacies. Yea dude the other 500k who left over the last 20 years must be wrong too. The weather, the people, the pollution, crime, 309 public officials convicted of crimes over the past 10 years, unemployment and the list goes on. You think that is "geography"? LOL.

Yes, absolutely I think it is a matter of Geography, or should I say specifically: weather. Everywhere you go in this country north, south, east, west there is pollution, crime, public corruption and unemployment etc..

When Forbes magazine did list of the most miserable cities in America and named Cleveland that city, I took it upon myself to do a little research of the categories they based their claim on. They used about 9-10 criteria and you know what I found? That San Diego and LA each ranked WORSE in 9 out of the 10 criteria (crime, congestion, unemployment, etc. etc.).

You know the ONLY category that Cleveland ranked worse in?: Winter weather. That's it. That was the whole basis of their claim that Cleveland was more miserable. And that pretty much holds true for the likes of Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Phoenix, etc. etc. They all ranked below Cleveland in nearly every category except the weather.

And no those people are still there man. They are the ones posting on Facebook of how their life sucks because they got a flat tire, boo hoo. While I admire that you think it's cool to be a gluten for punishment, it blows my friend. It sucks, deal with it, grow up.

p.s. the grass is greener brother, trust me.

For pussies perhaps.

FYI, I too, who am pushing 60 will probably soon want to get out of the winter weather. But I have no delusions that life will be a bed of roses just because I may leave NE Ohio so I don't have to shovel snow and walk on ice. If I have issues, those same issues will follow me wherever I go. I just won't have the issue of snow..

Peen I am not making fun of it, I am merely pointing out there are 100 different cities better to live in then Cleveland. I lived there 20 out of the 35 years on the planet. I have earned the right to say what I want about it.

And I believe that none of those 100 other cities are any better overall than Cleveland to live in.

A place is what you make of it. If Cleveland is not right for you, it is because of your attitude, not because of Cleveland's amenities....most of which are first rate....from music to restaurants to entertainment to outdoor activities to etc. etc. etc. whatever you want.

And actually....yes, you CAN surf in Cleveland USA.

Come to the Outer Banks brother. I have never locked my car doors here. Snowed a total of 3 times this year and they don't expect you at work, even though I went. 70 and sunny this weekend.

p.s. Took me 5 months to find a job in Cleveland, they hired me out of state here. College degree and 15 years experience. Yea I am not a fan. Proud that I am from there, just don't want to live there. Job market is a joke.

Russian chicks tend to have bad teeth and poor hygiene. But they are low on morals, if that is what you are looking for.

Cleveland has some nice healthy American women. Of course, half of them moved to Florida because of the climate, so I'm banging them.

I wasn't raised in Cleveland, but I love the city. It's a better place to visit than nearby cities such as Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Deroit, etc...

The people are down to earth and friendly. The women are warm and real and have their own choppers.

Every place has negative people with mundane lives, every place has cool people that you'd like to hang out with.

I could live in Cleveland but it's too damn cold. I'm a pussy when it comes to cold now. So keep sending down those red-blooded American women.

Zombo

But you miss my point.

It isn't about any right, unless we are talking about right and wrong.

Come to the Outer Banks brother. I have never locked my car doors here. Snowed a total of 3 times this year and they don't expect you at work, even though I went. 70 and sunny this weekend.

p.s. Took me 5 months to find a job in Cleveland, they hired me out of state here. College degree and 15 years experience. Yea I am not a fan. Proud that I am from there, just don't want to live there. Job market is a joke.

I am coming to the Outer Banks for vacation this summer...yae, its a place to go on vacation (Its great that you got that job as a bell hop at my resort with your college degree.)

As far as the job market, here is the list of the Top 10 worst cities in the country for finding a job per the U.S. Bureau of Statistics:

10. Pittsburgh

9. Kansas City

8. Virginia Beach

7. Los Angeles

6. Riverside CA

5. Louisville

4. Miami

3. Rochester NY

2. Buffalo

1. New Orleans

I am coming to the Outer Banks for vacation this summer...yae, its a place to go on vacation (Its great that you got that job as a bell hop at my resort with your college degree.)

Bell hop, lol. Web/Creative Director a million dollar company, nice try Gip. Let me know when you come down, I'll buy you a beer.

Archived