THE BROWNS BOARD

Hundreds Turn Out To Pay Respects To Ryan Trewin

peterbell

Hundreds turn out to pay respects to Ryan Trewin

IndeOnline.com / Glenn B. Dettman

Mourners, including former Browns coach Eric Mangini, leave Swigart-Easterling Funeral Home after paying their final respects to the family of Ryan Trewin, who lost his battle with cancer Tuesday.

Area police and fire departments and former Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini were among the hundreds who stopped Friday to pay their respects to 10-year-old Ryan Trewin, who died Tuesday following a courageous battle with cancer.

Safety forces performed an honor guard at Ryan’s casket during calling hours at the Swigart-Easterling Funeral Home. Last fall, Ryan was named an honorary member of the Canal Fulton Police Department.

Ryan, who died Tuesday at his home, inspired many with his brave spirit during a five-month fight with inoperable brain and spinal cancer. Ryan was diagnosed with the disease six years ago.

Beach City Police Officer Colin Trout, who grew up in Canal Fulton, said he never had the privilege of meeting Ryan, but wanted to participate in the honor guard.

“It was an honor to come here and do it. Being from Canal Fulton, this is a small town. We stick together,” Trout said. “... We’re more than happy to be here.”

Ryan’s funeral is set for 11 a.m. today at Sts. Philip & James Church, 412 High St., Canal Fulton, with Rev. Pat Ferraro officiating. Burial is to follow in Canal Fulton Cemetery. Dozens of police and fire departments are expected to form a procession following Ryan’s funeral.

Canal Fulton police Lt. Doug Swartz volunteered to direct traffic at Ryan’s calling hours.

“(Honor guard) is definitely a tribute to him. What he did helped to bring a community together. It was the least we could do,” Swartz said.

Mangini, who met Ryan over Thanksgiving and Christmas along with several Browns players, arrived at the funeral home shortly after 2 p.m. Afterward, Mangini went to the Trewin residence to play video games with Ryan’s brother, Andrew, according to Canal Fulton police officer John Barabasch, who developed a close friendship with Ryan over the last several months.

“He asked to see Andrew at the house and they played video games. He was sitting Indian-style on the couch,” Barabasch said. “... Nobody understands how great a guy he is. That guy is for real.”

Barabasch said he was proud of how his community had rallied around Ryan and his family.

“There is no other place that I’d rather be,” he said.

Family friends Herb and Gladys Archer, of Canal Fulton, said they lifted up many prayers on Ryan’s behalf and helped organize several benefits.

“It makes you think life is so short,” Gladys said.

Adam Knowles allowed Ryan to practice at his shooting range, the Midwest Gun Club, after hearing his story from Barabasch.

“He seemed to be having a blast. He came in twice,” Knowles said. “He was singing and laughing and they were taking all kinds of pictures. It’s a tough thing, but we wanted to help the family out.”

Jean Ann Vandenberg, of Canal Fulton, also came by Friday to give words of encouragement to the family.

“This is a very tight-knit community. If one calls, we all come running,” Vandenberg said.

Stinson Elementary School teacher Pam Kurz agreed.

“The community has all come together for show support for his family. It’s been great,” said Kurz, adding that counseling will be available to students when they return to school Monday following spring break.

Copyright 2011 The Independent. Some rights reserved

Nothing harder than burying your child. Prayers and condolences for the Trewin family.

While I hope for the best for Coach Shurmur, I know I am going to miss Eric Mangini and probably already do. This story only adds to that feeling. He is a guy that is easy to admire for his values. He is no longer employed by the Cleveland Browns which is how he met this brave young man, yet he feels compelled to travel hundreds of miles to pay his respects to the family and spend some time with the family's other child.

Why does he do it?

Maybe it's because EM is a father of young children. Maybe.

Definitely because EM has character. Definitely.

Good luck with your future coaching career, Eric. You've already got life figured out.

Nothing harder than burying your child. Prayers and condolences for the Trewin family.

While I hope for the best for Coach Shurmur, I know I am going to miss Eric Mangini and probably already do. This story only adds to that feeling. He is a guy that is easy to admire for his values. He is no longer employed by the Cleveland Browns which is how he met this brave young man, yet he feels compelled to travel hundreds of miles to pay his respects to the family and spend some time with the family's other child.

Why does he do it?

Maybe it's because EM is a father of young children. Maybe.

Definitely because EM has character. Definitely.

Good luck with your future coaching career, Eric. You've already got life figured out.

Perfectly said. The world needs more men like Eric Mangini.

Prayers go out for Ryan's Family & loved ones.

God Bless,

Mike

This is tragic. I live and grew up in the town next to Canal Culton and for the past year I saw "Pray for Ryan" signs everywhere I went and never knew what they meant. Know I do and it saddens me. Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

I was just down by Canal Fulton earlier today and saw those "Pray for Ryan" signs. I didn't know exactly what it was all about, but now I do. Thanks.

Archived