THE BROWNS BOARD

Citing From Reputable Sources: Bowers Is Declared Out Of Running For Sixth Pick

dawgpound3

Grossi also said that if Green is there at sixth spot where the Browns are at, they will take him. But if AJ Green isn't there, Julio Jones will be strongly be in consideration for the sixth pick.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=6475&line=202489&spln=1

^Here's a link

Here's what I have to say about this. Due to how deep the draft is in defensive ends and tackles, the Browns may very well take Marvin Austin from UNC, and Greg Romeus in the third or fourth round and take Jones with the first round pick.

Tony Grossi said that Bowers is not considered for the Browns sixth pick. Robert Quinn, Julio Jones, and J.J. Watt are considered for the first pick for the Browns now.

I would rather trade down than take any of those guys at 6. However, for commical reasons I hope Shurmer/Heckert/Holmgren's draft board goes 1. Jones 2. Watt 3. Quinn. I just want to here the Walrus say: Julio's on first, Watt's on second.

that's horrible reasoning.

yo man, you go to uncc as in unc charlotte? that'd be really tight if that's the case, I'm at school here too.

as for all this, I never listen to Grossi. It's just his job if he hears a whisper from anyone to report it as though it's a fact. But I have to admit, I don't think what he said is necessarily "horrible reasoning". If Heckert really does like Julio that much and really does see it as a lock washington will take him, the possibility to reach to get your guy is perfectly possible. However, I don't believe any of that to be true, at all. Heckert has shown to basically never do that, so there's nothing that leads me to believe that will change.

I wouldnt reach for Jones and i know Washington will probaly grab him,maybe if we traded back a few spots then take him....

I also love the depth at DT in the early second round id love Marvin Austin,Drake Nevis,Cam Heyward or even Stephen Paea, also i think Raheem Moore would be a steal in the early second and would be a perfect fit next to Ward

He is getting it from a video on cleveland.com. It's just speculation like all other people who are doing mock drafts. Grossi is not a very credible source of things actually happening right now in the from office. He is just a sports writer making his weekly video.

Probably so, but I wouldn't say Grossi is totally out of the loop.

As the Sr. beat writer, I think some with the team give these guys a bit of a scoop from time to time. The team needs the writers, especially if they want to have a little sway in how a story is written if it isn't good news...

Seeing Bowers injury concern, it isn't a big reach Heckert or someone told Grossi we weren't considering the guy.

It keeps the writer happy and doesn't really tip our draft plans.

He also says that he doesn't think that they will pick Peterson if he is there at 6, even though Heckert has said they are more than open to the idea. He is just a beat writer and can not be taken as a credible source every time he says something.

Well, there's a lot of other folks (such as myself) who also think the Browns won't draft Peterson @ #6 either. For a team with a glaring need for a stud wr, or a top shelf DL, I can't rationalize the Browns going to the CB well two years running in the first round.

So we have Joe Hayden and Peterson trying to guard wrs for 10 seconds while the opposing qb has lunch and waits for someone to break open.

Well, there's a lot of other folks (such as myself) who also think the Browns won't draft Peterson @ #6 either. For a team with a glaring need for a stud wr, or a top shelf DL, I can't rationalize the Browns going to the CB well two years running in the first round.

So we have Joe Hayden and Peterson trying to guard wrs for 10 seconds while the opposing qb has lunch and waits for someone to break open.

Well there are three guys that I know of who are more than open to the idea (me, Heckert, and Holmgren). Every year you have a few guys come out that are great to elite pass rushers, it's not every year a corner like Peterson is available.

secondwave....we dont have the 10-15th pick. we have the sixth....so u take the BPA on the board. if that guy is watt, jones....u take him.

way too much emphasis on draft slotting....considering a rookie cap will be in place.

secondwave....we dont have the 10-15th pick. we have the sixth....so u take the BPA on the board. if that guy is watt, jones....u take him.

way too much emphasis on draft slotting....considering a rookie cap will be in place.

I think you misunderstood my post. Let me rephrase:

Why would this team draft guys projected (Jones, Watt) 10-15? That would 1. be a waste of money and 2. we can simply trade down if need be to get said players.

I'm not saying not to take BPA (in fact, i've been an advocate of that philosophy), but why reach for guys we can draft if we simply traded down?

With that said, AJ Green or Patrick Peterson please.

didn't misunderstand u....u make trading down seem like its as easy as making the pick. what happens if there is no one to trade down with? then u have to pick someone.

its very possible green and peterson will be gone....if/when they are, u go down the board. whereas u think jones is overrated, others think the same of green. JJ watt seems top be a jack of all trades, master of none kinda guy. imo, he may be the one high DE left with the least bust potential.

waste of money? lol...rookie cap. say it with me.....ROOKIE CAP. these guys are still making ching but its not like they're getting 40 mil guaranteed anymore. which would be more a waste of money....paying another bust or overpaying a productive player.

sorry...just seems very myopic imo.

It won't be quite that bad if we do go the Peterson route. Look at the impact Haden had last year. We probably saw him bat down more passes last year then we saw the 3 previous combined.

Do that on the other side and it is improvement any way you cut it.

We may not have sacked the QB much, and maybe we won't this year, but we get in close enough the QB has to deliver the ball.

I doubt Peterson is there when we pick, so you won't have to worry about it.....but if he is, then worry because it would be foolish to take a lesser talent....and I don't think Heckert will pass.

Again, I just don't see him there. Bowers is out as a top pick and I just don't see any QB being taken that high, so the list starts to shrink.

Peterson might be the #1 player in the draft, so by pick 3 he is at the top on nearly everbodys list. Three teams will have to pass on BPA and draft for a need...I don't think it happens.

didn't misunderstand u....u make trading down seem like its as easy as making the pick. what happens if there is no one to trade down with? then u have to pick someone.

its very possible green and peterson will be gone....if/when they are, u go down the board. whereas u think jones is overrated, others think the same of green. JJ watt seems top be a jack of all trades, master of none kinda guy. imo, he may be the one high DE left with the least bust potential.

waste of money? lol...rookie cap. say it with me.....ROOKIE CAP. these guys are still making ching but its not like they're getting 40 mil guaranteed anymore. which would be more a waste of money....paying another bust or overpaying a productive player.

sorry...just seems very myopic imo.

Ah, gotcha. And yes, seeing as how it's also very possible the rookie cap won't be set in place this year, it would be a waste of money. But thanks for the condescending reassurance.

But on that note, I guess it's best we agree to disagree especially when it comes to an opinion such as player A vs. player B. But just to drop more insight--i'm not saying my opinion merits more weight to it-- I've seen every Alabama game since 2006, I can pretty much tell you that Julio Jones, isn't as sure of a thing as Green.

Yeah ive watched alot of both Green and Jones, and i give Green the nod by a pretty big margain..Granted Jones will always show more of Physical freak in terms of Speed and Size combanation as we all saw at the Combine,but where Green excels is in his route running and his seperation from CBs..I also think Green is a very smart recevier as when ive watched alot of Georgia games when a play breaks down he seems to know where to run two to get to the open spots for the QB to find him....

You gotta remember these two have been competeing since coming outta High School where Scouts where arguing whos the better Prospect, they were essentially 1a. and 1b. going into College..

Yeah ive watched alot of both Green and Jones, and i give Green the nod by a pretty big margain..Granted Jones will always show more of Physical freak in terms of Speed and Size combanation as we all saw at the Combine,but where Green excels is in his route running and his seperation from CBs..I also think Green is a very smart recevier as when ive watched alot of Georgia games when a play breaks down he seems to know where to run two to get to the open spots for the QB to find him....

You gotta remember these two have been competeing since coming outta High School where Scouts where arguing whos the better Prospect, they were essentially 1a. and 1b. going into College..

Green is the better prospect, by a lot.

In this draft of WR it's tier 1: Green, tier 2: Julio Jones, tier 3:Hankerson, Baldwin etc.

And in response to speed. Watch the game tape. Seriously, watch the game tape. Julio Jones may run a 4.39, but not in pads. Green is quicker and better with the hips, in pads. He's got out-of-this-world body control. He's a quicker, poor man's Calvin Johnson, which is still a stud.

Julio Jones is an excellent long strider, with a godly vertical, but he's not as quick or fast when you put on the pads and cleats. And most of all, if you were to rate their hands, Jones would be a 6 while Green is a 9.

The only WR i've ever seen with hands better than Green are Fitzgerald and Randy Moss.

Green is the better prospect, by a lot.

In this draft of WR it's tier 1: Green, tier 2: Julio Jones, tier 3:Hankerson, Baldwin etc.

And in response to speed. Watch the game tape. Seriously, watch the game tape. Julio Jones may run a 4.39, but not in pads. Green is quicker and better with the hips, in pads. He's got out-of-this-world body control. He's a quicker, poor man's Calvin Johnson, which is still a stud.

Julio Jones is an excellent long strider, with a godly vertical, but he's not as quick or fast when you put on the pads and cleats. And most of all, if you were to rate their hands, Jones would be a 6 while Green is a 9.

The only WR i've ever seen with hands better than Green are Fitzgerald and Randy Moss.

Compeletly agree with you Jones hands are very questionable as oppossed to Greens hands are just special, he will catch anything you throw his way...

I remember reading an article from a well respected writer from Atlanta who said he watched each game that Calvin Johnson(Ga Tech)and AJ Green (Georgia)both played and said that Green is even better than Johnson coming outta College...Which i think is pretty special

Compeletly agree with you Jones hands are very questionable as oppossed to Greens hands are just special, he will catch anything you throw his way...

I remember reading an article from a well respected writer from Atlanta who said he watched each game that Calvin Johnson(Ga Tech)and AJ Green (Georgia)both played and said that Green is even better than Johnson coming outta College...Which i think is pretty special

Ohhh sorry. You had me til you mentioned Calvin Johnson and AJ Green. AJ Green is Calvin johnson lite. He's quicker off theplay, and has better body control with SLIGHTLY better hands, but that's it.

Megatron was bigger, more physical, better vertical, faster in pads, and was just a nasty freak coming out of college. Best wide receiver in college since Randy Moss. Can't say the same for AJ Green.

Ohhh sorry. You had me til you mentioned Calvin Johnson and AJ Green. AJ Green is Calvin johnson lite. He's quicker off theplay, and has better body control with SLIGHTLY better hands, but that's it.

Megatron was bigger, more physical, better vertical, faster in pads, and was just a nasty freak coming out of college. Best wide receiver in college since Randy Moss. Can't say the same for AJ Green.

I didnt say i thought Green was a better prospect than Calvin Johnson,i said an Atlanta Beat writer whos watched both of them there entire career did...Also heard very many people talking about how Calvin had a hard time when he first came to Detriot about running certain routes and reading certain defenses...Its alot easier when you can just throw the ball up and go up and get it at his size

Archived