THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Attendance

OSU Kid

The big issue for me is that Baseball as a whole has taken such a huge hit ala "steroids" and other "enhancing" drugs that the commissioner has to take a stand on fixing the league. Stack on top of that, our owner is the cheapest SOB in the MLB and you are giving your fans very little to get excited about. Hence its showing up in attendance and sales as a whole. Giving todays financial circumstances, if the owner doesn't lower prices, or start paying for talent, he is as good as dead as an owner in this league. You go to the games for enjoyment and fun. What they put on the field yearly is neither enjoyable or fun. Add also the great talent they keep trading off (2 consecutive CY YOUNG winners?) and it seems like we are living the Major League movies for real...

Steroids and the phony records they produced are one issue- if there was any integrity, those "records" should be stuck. As others said, I'll start following baseball when there's a salary cap and floor. I'm sick of seeing the Yankees and Rex Sox treat other franchise like Farm Clubs. From a SW Ohio perspective Joey Votto is outta Cinti as soon as he's eligible for FA.

And Ghoolie has it right- back in the Muni days, there were games where the Tribe didn't draw 1,000. Never happen but the season is too long- let's have snowouts the first week in April, and play the World Series in 30 degree football weather. I'm not going to pay $25 bucks to freeze my ass off watching a totally meaningless early season game- and at least in this case the fans are voting with their feet. As Jacobs proved, put talent on the field, and the seats WILL fill back up.

Well, I don't know about policy unless you are talking personal policy...then I agree.

As a citizen you should support the teams/arts in your community at least every now and then.

I see the local orchestra 3-4 times a year, and it isn't my thing. Hell, I even attend a Opera once in a while, and I hate that.

When in Cleveland in recent years I have caught The Cleveland Symphony a few times and been to 2-3 plays on the Square. The Art Museum has been closed the last few years but I think it's open again. You can bet that will fill up one of my Saturday afternoons.

In my opinion, you need to support what is going on in your community. It's where you live and one way or the other, these venues help make where you live a better place.

I'd love if a MLB team was here in Chattanooga, but, we have a AA team of the Dodgers.....but it's the Lookouts....our team, so I go a good number of games a year even if I leave come the 5th inning.

I don't care about UTC Moc's sports, but I buy tickets even if I don't go.

Heck....when is the last time you went to the zoo???

Maybe I'll do that another Saturday afternoon.

While I agree with most of what your saying, there is still the same holes in your arguement. Say the McDonalds you own(ed) has crappy service, but creates revenue and jobs within a local community. Should I force myself to eat there for the sake of the community or boycott it until something is done about the service? I know, I know....McDonalds and the Indians have 2 different connections to people, but they are both businesses trying to earn a living off the locals. Its not really a very different arguement than anyone else presented but more related to you.

The fact that the Indians have a monopoly on the baseball market doesn't necessarily mean they should get special treatment. If its crap you don't buy it, but at the same time I agree with you that you shouldn't cut off your nose to spite your face. If you don't go support the team you leave the owner little means to ever improve the team.

However, as you know, owning a business involves risk. If its not working you either cut your losses or create a means to improve your product. Maybe Dolan should risk investing in some real talent in hopes that people will come watch them play. I know Mcdonalds takes risks all the time investing in new items that the public may like or not like. It made them one of the most successful franchises in the world. Jmo.

Right now they are not playing THAT bad and deserve to have a crowd in front of them. Its not time to throw in the towel. So for now your arguement is holding its weight for sure, but it is hard to convince people to spend their money on a 20-50 team if it comes to that. And I can't blame them.

Everyone just needs to settle down - the Tribe had just gotten blown out the day before and it was a packed house for Opening Day. The day after everyone was nursing their hangovers and didn't feel like heading back out to 30 degrees and rain. Same thing for Sunday.

There's a fair share of blame on City "leaders" as well. They've taken what was a GREAT downtown atmosphere not too long ago and allowed it to be completely ruined. Thus, many people don't make weekends of it like they used to.

In the 90's, you would often see fans at the stadium not only because they were winning, but also because they would head downtown after the game, grab some dinner and head to the Flats for a good time. Catch a hotel, and do the same thing on Saturday. Another hotel, catch the Sunday game and then head home.

Nowadays people make the trek to the game and head home afterward. Once they're home, it's too easy to find reasons not to head back up to C-town.

Face it, our City is run by THE worst leaders of any somewhat major city. Our 'Mayor' is a friggin' idiot as is all of Council.

Everyone just needs to settle down - the Tribe had just gotten blown out the day before and it was a packed house for Opening Day. The day after everyone was nursing their hangovers and didn't feel like heading back out to 30 degrees and rain. Same thing for Sunday.

There's a fair share of blame on City "leaders" as well. They've taken what was a GREAT downtown atmosphere not too long ago and allowed it to be completely ruined. Thus, many people don't make weekends of it like they used to.

In the 90's, you would often see fans at the stadium not only because they were winning, but also because they would head downtown after the game, grab some dinner and head to the Flats for a good time. Catch a hotel, and do the same thing on Saturday. Another hotel, catch the Sunday game and then head home.

Nowadays people make the trek to the game and head home afterward. Once they're home, it's too easy to find reasons not to head back up to C-town.

Face it, our City is run by THE worst leaders of any somewhat major city. Our 'Mayor' is a friggin' idiot as is all of Council.

amen brother, seriously. The sad truth is if a Cleveland sports team were to win a championship I think things would open up SO much too.

I think it is absurd to think that because there may not be decent bars and restaurants downtown that that hinders the Tribe's attendance. First off, there are tons of decent bars and restaurants downtown.

Secondly, the regional economy is very poor and that affects a person's choices of entertainment such that, as someone said,they are not going to pay for crappy entertainment. Why should someone pay to see Ishtar when they can see The Godfather instead? And anyone is a fool if they don't recognize that Dolan has completely alienated the fan base. I don't know much about local Cleveland City politics, but I will wager that whatever is going on with the local government is barely a factor at all in the Tribe's attendance problems.

I agree, there are plenty of nice bars in the downtown area, but then again, I am kind of a redneck boy....the good type....as long as the beer is cold, there are a few good looking women in the place, and there are at least a few country music selections on the juke box, life is good.

Archived