THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns First Round Draft Trivia

The Gipper

Here is some trivia all dealing with past Browns First Round draft picks, since 1950 when they joined the NFL. See how you do:

Final Answers:

1. This year the Browns have the #6 overall selection. In the past, the Browns have had the #6 position twice. Name the two players they took with those #6 overall picks:

Jim Brown in 1957 and Kellen Winslow Jr. in 2004

2. My daughter wants to attend college at a small school in San Antonio Tex. called Trinity Univ. It only has about 2500 students. However, once upon a time the Browns First round draft pick came from Trinity Univ. Who was that player? (Hint: he had a NFL brother who made the HOF).

Marvin Upshaw, drafted in 1968 is correct.

3. What 3 players from Ohio State have the Browns picked in the first round of the draft?

Jim Houston, Paul Warfield, Craig Powell. Two worked out well, one did not....but even if he did it would not have mattered as he would have been shipped off to Baltimore and the Ravens. His contract may in fact have been assigned to the Ravens when that team was formed. Don't know (don't care)

4. What 5 players from Michigan have the Browns picked in the first round of the draft?

Ron Johnson, Thom Darden, Derek Alexander, Steve Everitt, and Braylon Edwards. The Browns have had more first round picks out of Michigan than any other team

5. Besides Ohio State and Michigan, there are 3 other schools from which the Browns used their First Round picks on 3 or more different times. Name those 3 schools.

Purdue, USC, and Florida

###CORRECTION: Purdue only had 2 first rounders. Phipps and Mike Pruitt. I had Jim Garcia, who was the Browns first pick...but in the 2d round.

6. On two occasions the Browns used their First round draft pick on Linebackers from Duke. Who were these 2 players?

Bob Matheson in 1967 and Mike Junkin in the late 80s.

7. The Browns have used their First Round pick on Centers 4 times. Name these 4 centers.

Kurt Burris 1955, Steve Everett 1993, Jeff Faine 2003, Alex Mack 2009

8. Not including Bernie Kosar, who was taken in a Supplemental Draft for which the Browns traded a first round pick, they have selected a QB 5 times in the First round. Name these 5 QBs.

Harry Agannis, Bobby Garrett who was the overall #1 pick in 1954. Mike Phipps, Tim Couch and Brady Quinn.

Garrett was the worst selection. He never played a down with the Browns. Because of a stutter, he simply couldn't call the plays as a QB. He played his one year with the Packers.

9. The Browns have picked 9 RBs in the First Round. Name as many of the 9 as you can:

Ken Carpenter 1950, Jim Brown 1957, Leroy Jackson 1962, Ron Johnson 1969, Mike Pruitt 1976, Charles White 1980, Eric Metcalf 1989, Tommy Vardell 1992, William Green 2002

10. Of these positions: QB, RB, WR/TE, OL, DL, LB, DB which position have the Browns selected the most with their first round picks. Hint: see the previous 3 questions to help you eliminate a couple of positions.

The Browns have drafted a WR/TE 12 times, more than any other position. Next was DB with 10, RB 9, LB 8, DL 6, QB 5, OL 2

11. As the conferences are currently constituted, from which conference(s) have the Browns selected the most First Round draft picks?

The Big Ten with 13 choices, the SEC with 12, Pac-10 with 11, ACC 5, Big 12 4, Big East 2, Conf-USA 3, Misc. small schools 4, Notre Dame 1.

12. Name the players selected by the Browns in the First round since 1950 that have made the Hall of Fame.

Doug Atkins, 1953, though he played most of his career with the Bears. Jim Brown 1957. Paul Warfield 1964. Ozzie Newsome 1978.

Bonus: Opinion question. No right or wrong answer. Of the Browns first round draft picks since 1990 only, which one has had the biggest impact on the team?

Probably Tim Couch for either positive or negative reasons. The best player selected has been Joe Thomas.

Here is some trivia all dealing with past Browns First Round draft picks, since 1950 when they joined the NFL. See how you do:

1. This year the Browns have the #6 overall selection. In the past, the Browns have had the #6 position twice. Name the two players they took with those #6 overall picks:

2. My daughter wants to attend college at a small school in San Antonio Tex. called Trinity Univ. It only has about 2500 students. However, once upon a time the Browns First round draft pick came from Trinity Univ. Who was that player? (Hint: he had a NFL brother who made the HOF).

3. What 3 players from Ohio State have the Browns picked in the first round of the draft?

4. What 4 players from Michigan have the Browns picked in the first round of the draft?

5. Besides Ohio State and Michigan, there are 3 other schools from which the Browns used their First Round picks on 3 or more different times. Name those 3 schools.

6. On two occasions the Browns used their First round draft pick on Linebackers from Duke. Who were these 2 players?

7. The Browns have used their First Round pick on Centers 4 times. Name these 4 centers.

8. Not including Bernie Kosar, who was taken in a Supplemental Draft for which the Browns traded a first round pick, they have selected a QB 5 times in the First round. Name these 5 QBs.

9. The Browns have picked 9 RBs in the First Round. Name as many of the 9 as you can:

10. Of these positions: QB, RB, WR/TE, OL, DL, LB, DB which position have the Browns selected the most with their first round picks. Hint: see the previous 3 questions to help you eliminate a couple of positions.

11. As the conferences are currently constituted, from which conference(s) have the Browns selected the most First Round draft picks?

12. Name the players selected by the Browns in the First round since 1950 that have made the Hall of Fame.

Bonus: Opinion question. No right or wrong answer. Of the Browns first round draft picks since 1990 only, which one has had the biggest impact on the team?

5)derek alexander (maybe 2nd rd), steve everett..

7) steve everett and jeff faine dont know the other two

8) tim couch, brady queen

9) william green, eric metcalf, jim brown, the express (damn forgot his name)

5)derek alexander (maybe 2nd rd), steve everett..

I think you meant this as an answer to #4, not 5. And there are 3 more Michiganders.

7) steve everett and jeff faine dont know the other two

Those two are correct. But there are 2 more.

8) tim couch, brady queen These two are correct, but there are 3 more.

9) william green, eric metcalf, jim brown, the express (damn forgot his name)

You are thinking about Ernie Davis....and no, the Browns did not draft him but traded for him from the Redskins. The other 3 are right, but there are 6 more..

Marvin Upshaw played at Trinity.

The biggest impact since 1990.....Tim Couch.

That guys impact put us behind by 12 years and counting.....we have yet to recover from that botched pick.

Running Backs: Charles White, Touchdown Tommy Vardell, Mike Pruitt, Ron Johnson, are we counting Kevin Mack in the supplemental draft?

Michigan guys: How could anyone forget Braylon Edwards, Thom Darden, Ron (RJ) Johnson

OSU: the GREAT Paul Warfield, the BUST Craig Powell, Jim Houston

Center: Alex Mack

This is why I hate your damn trivia questions Gip... they keep gnawing at me...

Jim Brown was a #6 in the first round, and Butch traded up one spot to take Winslow with the #6 as well (tricky my friend!)

Enough!!!!!!

Marvin Upshaw played at Trinity.

The biggest impact since 1990.....Tim Couch.

That guys impact put us behind by 12 years and counting.....we have yet to recover from that botched pick.

I disagree that taking Tim Couch, the player, was a botched pick. It may have been a botched pick because of the organizations belief that they had to have a name QB.

Believe it or not, I believe that the pick of Couch may have had the most impact on the Browns....on the positive side.

As we all know, the team hung him out to dry because they got no OL help for him....and because so many of their subsequent choices went bust: C. Brown, Warren, Green

By the way, check on Upshaw..

Running Backs: Charles White, Touchdown Tommy Vardell, Mike Pruitt, Ron Johnson, are we counting Kevin Mack in the supplemental draft?

Michigan guys: How could anyone forget Braylon Edwards, Thom Darden, Ron (RJ) Johnson

OSU: the GREAT Paul Warfield, the BUST Craig Powell, Jim Houston

Center: Alex Mack

I was not including Supplemental draft picks. (That's why I didn't include Kosar in the QBs)

But thanks for pointing that factoid out however.

This is why I hate your damn trivia questions Gip... they keep gnawing at me...

Jim Brown was a #6 in the first round, and Butch traded up one spot to take Winslow with the #6 as well (tricky my friend!)

Enough!!!!!!

Check. (I wasn't trying to be tricky...I only went by the lists I researched.)

STATUS REPORT on this trivia: Qs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 have been answered completely correctly.

The following remain to be answered:

#5. 3 schools from which the Browns have taken 3 or more 1st round picks besides OSU and Mich.

#7. We have 3 of the 4 centers. For the last one, think early years, the 50s.

#8. We have 3 of the 5 QBs. Same here for the others, think 50s.

#9. We have 7 of the 9 RBs. Again the 2 missing are 50s guys.

#10. What position have the Browns taken most with their first round picks

#11. What conference have the Browns taken the most 1st round picks from

#12. Name the HOFers that were Browns 1st round picks.

Actually Al, I think the nickname give Junkin was "The Mad Dog in a Meat Market".

thanks for the correction Gip... actually he just played like he was on junk.

Oh, and how could I have overlooked that the Browns drafted four players from my own alma mater: Pete Adams, Charles White, Chip Banks and Clay Matthews...

The WRs/TEs the Browns have drafted over the years in the first round are:

1956 Preston Carpenter

1959 Rich Kreitling

1961 Bobby Crespino

1962 Gary Collins

1964 Paul Warfield HOF

1966 Milt Morin TE

1973 Steve Holden

1978 Ozzie Newsome TE HOF

1979 Willis Adams

1994 Derrick Alexander

2004 Kellen Winslow Jr.

2005 Braylon Edwards

the 13 Big Ten Players the Browns have drafted in the first round are:

John Bauer, Illinois

Rich Kreitling, Illinois

Jim Houston, OSU

Paul Warfield, OSU

Ron Johnson, Mich.

Mike Phipps, Purdue

Thom Darden, Mich.

Mike Pruitt, Purdue

Steve Everett, Mich.

Craig Powell, OSU

Courtney Brown, Penn St.

Braylon Edwards, Mich.

Joe Thomas, Wisconsin

If the Browns draft either A.J. Green or Julio Jones, the SEC would tie the Big Ten with 13 picks.

These are the schools from which the Browns have taken their first round draft picks:

Michigan 5

So. Cal 4

Ohio St. 3

Florida 3

Kentucky 2

Alabama 2

Stanford 2

UCLA 2

Duke 2

Houston 2

Purdue 2

Tenn. 2