THE BROWNS BOARD

The Adjustment Bureau Review

The Adjustment Bureau

Universal

PG 13 99 min

OK This one was a pleasant surprise.

I'm usually impressed when the trailer doesn't give the whole movie away and that's the case here.

Oh we can tell that there's some kind of superhuman group of nefarious men who seem to control everything that goes on here on earth.

We also know that congressional candidate David Norris (Matt Damon) and hot dance prodigy Emily (Elise Sellas) have fallen in love against the sinister cartels wishes and they'll be dodging these guys throughout the film.

Fair enough.

But here's what surprised me. I'd figured on a noisy action packed thrill ride as the lovers elude the bad guys for 99 minutes.

As it turns out this flick is a lot less heavy handed and a lot less action oriented than is is romantic and even a little fun. And there's still action.

Along the lines of a couple of my favorites HEAVEN CAN WAIT and DEFENDING YUR LIFE the powers that be are actually the powers that be.

I won't give out a spoiler but the story is a lot less deadly and the antagonists more prone to error than one might have guessed.

Granted you'll need a good does of suspension of belief but hey, it's worth it.

It's a lot less like INCEPTION than I feared and that's a good thing.

Not a bad choice for date night either as the romance will (and you knew it would) wins out in the end.

B

WSS

email westsidesteve@aol.com

Archived