THE BROWNS BOARD

Late Round Qb's

CLEVELandMILIDH

This article makes me very happy, I've been on the Stanzi bandwagon since before his 2010 season. I also compared him to Tom Brady and actually said The Patriots would probably draft him rd.2. Its good to see somebody else see's what I see.

NFL Draft 2011: Could Cleveland Browns Draft Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi?

By Dan Tylicki (Featured Columnist) on April 7, 2011 - Cleveland

Ricky Stanzi is Divisive Pick, But Mel Kiper Sees Him as Great Fit for Cleveland Browns

The Cleveland Browns will likely draft a quarterback at some point in the draft. Whether Browns fans would prefer Mike Holmgren to do that or not, it seems rather certain it will happen.

As for which quarterback may be drafted, that's currently up in the air. It won't be one of the top four, which is fine since all four of them are high-risk. As for the next group of four, Colin Kaepernick or Ricky Stanzi could be potential options for the Browns.

In Stanzi's case, he seems to be rather highly regarded, even though he's only projected as a fourth-round pick currently, partially due to a bad combine. In fact, Tony Pauline says of Stanzi's chances in the NFL, "Forget about it. As far as I'm concerned, he's a career back up."

Other draft experts seem to regard Stanzi much more highly. Mel Kiper says that Stanzi could be the best value quarterback in the draft, and Nolan Nawrocki says Stanzi "bears an eerily similar semblance to a young Tom Brady." Both have him projected in the fourth round.

Having said all that, should the Browns draft him? I'm not sold on that, actually. He does have fairly good arm strength, which is nice, but there are questions about his accuracy. I don't trust Nawrocki's note of Stanzi looking like Tom Brady either, as Stanzi has his share of problems in the pocket.

I'm not sure how well Stanzi will develop at the NFL level, so if Heckert and Holmgren want to take a shot on him, as long as it doesn't cause quarterback controversy number 15, then it's fine

He doesn't look bad, but I think it would be uncalled for to even consider spending anything higher than the 5th round pick on a QB this year, and even then I would prefer if we used one of our 6th rounders or our 7th rounder. I like McElroy who at worse would be able to dissect the defensive game tape really well to help out Colt, or the QB from Idaho who has good accuracy and got consistently stronger and better all four years he started. I also like Tyrod Taylor. I know alot of people are saying he will only be a wild cat QB and special teamer, but I think he is probably one of the biggest boom bust QB's right next to Mallet, only taking him in the 6th or 7 really doesn't make him a bust and more of a oh well.

Didn't we pick up another QB at the end of 2010, Jarret Brown from WVU... So we have McCoy, Wallace, Delhomme and Jarret Brown.... I think we have too many needs to just waste one on a practice squad QB when we can bring one in from the undrafted pack.

Both excellent points. The Browns picked up Brown in January after he spent last year with the 49ers....so apparently he may have some North Coast Offense training in him. And, if and when the labor BS gets settled who knows what QBs may be out there in the FA market.

Taylor Potts Texas Tech would be a good pickup after the Draft, just like McCoy ran the spread and would be ok in the West Coast Offense.6-4 218

Agreed. QB's that come from Texas Tech come from an offense where they are not pro ready, but they had to be really good leaders, decision makers, and very accurate. These guys can make good backups and it really kind of makes we mad that we let Grahm (the Texas Tech QB that had 3 really good season with Texas Tech) go after he tried out for the team twice when he could have made a way better back up than Ratliff. I feel like if the guy is good enough to be Greenbay's #3, then he should have been more than good enough for us. I think this Pott's guy and Brown could have a nice duel for the 3rd spot on the team if Delhomme doesn't take his pay cut.

Both excellent points. The Browns picked up Brown in January after he spent last year with the 49ers....so apparently he may have some North Coast Offense training in him. And, if and when the labor BS gets settled who knows what QBs may be out there in the FA market.

Agreed. Was with a WCO team for a few weeks, was know for being accurate and being able to move around the pocket and scramble well, but in known for also being injury prone. Maybe a guy who could be groomed into being a future Wallace.

These guys can make good backups and it really kind of makes we mad that we let Grahm (the Texas Tech QB that had 3 really good season with Texas Tech) go after he tried out for the team twice when he could have made a way better back up than Ratliff.

good point.

Archived