THE BROWNS BOARD

Rate The Wrs In Top Ten Picks

The Gipper

So, the Browns are contemplating taking a WR with their top pick, #6 overall. The following is the list of the WRs and TEs taken in the Top 10 picks of the draft since 1999. Please rate these picks for whether they have been a good choice or not:

2010: None (first WR taken was Demarius Thomas by Denver at #22)

2009: #7 Darius Heyward-Bey, Oakland; #10 Michael Crabtree, San Fran

2008: None (first taken was TE Dustin Keller #31)

2007: #2 Calvin Johnson, Detroit; #9 Ted Ginn, Miami

2006: #6 Vernon Davis, San Fran

2005: #3 Braylon Edwards, CLE; #7 Troy Williamson, Minn; #10 Mike Williams, Detroit

2004: #3 Larry Fitgerald, Ariz.; #6 Kellen Winslow Jr., CLE; #7 Roy Williams, Detroit; #9 Reggie Williams, JAX

2003: #2 Charles Rogers, Detroit; #3 Andre Johnson, HOU.

2002: None (first taken: Donte Stallworth #13 by New Orleans)

2001: #8 David Terrell, Chicago; #9 Koren Robinson, Seattle

2000: #4 Peter Warwick, CIN; #8 Plaxico Burress, PITT; #10 Travis Taylor, BALT

1999: #6 Torry Holt, St. Louis; #8 David Boston, Ariz.

So, figure out who have been the Bangs or the Busts from this group and what the Browns chances are if they take a WR.

Odds look very good. Only Da Bungles, Bears, and Lions (who happen to have had crummy scouting at the time) totally busted with their picks.

Way more Pro Bowlers than busts.

Odds look very good. Only Da Bungles, Bears, and Lions (who happen to have had crummy scouting at the time) totally busted with their picks.

Way more Pro Bowlers than busts.

My impression of the list was quite the opposite. I saw more busts and guys who didn't live up to potential.

The only top drawer guys I see are Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Fitzgerald, and Holt. Vernon Davis is on the edge. The Browns picks, Edwards and K2 certainly haven't lived up to expectations.

Am I missing something here? Perhaps, since there must be 5 Williams on this list and 3-4 Johnsons. Hard to keep track of who has been good or bad.

So, the Browns are contemplating taking a WR with their top pick, #6 overall. The following is the list of the WRs and TEs taken in the Top 10 picks of the draft since 1999. Please rate these picks for whether they have been a good choice or not:

2005: #3 Braylon Edwards, CLE; #7 Troy Williamson, Minn; #10 Mike Williams, Detroit

2004: #3 Larry Fitgerald, Ariz.; #6 Kellen Winslow Jr., CLE; #7 Roy Williams, Detroit; #9 Reggie Williams, JAX

So, figure out who have been the Bangs or the Busts from this group and what the Browns chances are if they take a WR.

I have put the Bangs in Green and the Busts in Red. The others are so so, or I am not that familiar with or are too soon to tell.

Just draft A.J. Green..........done

Heyward Bey does look like a bust but being in the league only two years how can he be consider a bust already??

David Boston id consider a bust to but had a pro bowl season..

I know that top 10 recivers arent ever a Sure thing but you could make a list of any positions in the draft and do the same thing,do one on D-Lineman and you'll get an idea..

With all that being said i could look at this list and still pick AJ Green with no problem what so ever

View PostThe Gipper, on 11 April 2011 - 11:58 AM, said:

I have put the Bangs in Green and the Busts in Red. The others are so so, or I am not that familiar with or are too soon to tell.

You have 9 years of drafts- 4 pro-bowlers, + one potential HOFer in Fitzgerald. I like those odds.

Robinson had a couple of good years, and flamed out, ditto David Boston. You're underestimating Edwards and Winslow- they both made the Pro Bowl, so they hardly can be considered busts. Burress was OK until he decided to shoot himself and landed in jail.

Heyward-Bey hasn't done much to date, and too early to make a judgment on Crabtree. The real stinkers- Terrell, Rodgers, and Warrick. So drafting a wr high isn't as risky, IMHO as say, drafting a a qb high.

View PostThe Gipper, on 11 April 2011 - 11:58 AM, said:

You have 9 years of drafts- 4 pro-bowlers, + one potential HOFer in Fitzgerald. I like those odds.

Robinson had a couple of good years, and flamed out, ditto David Boston. You're underestimating Edwards and Winslow- they both made the Pro Bowl, so they hardly can be considered busts. Burress was OK until he decided to shoot himself and landed in jail.

I didn't list Braylon, K2, or Plaxico in the bust category....but in the "middle" category. They didn't become stars (except perhaps in their own minds), but they weren't flops either....though Winslow came close to being a star.

Heyward-Bey hasn't done much to date, and too early to make a judgment on Crabtree. The real stinkers- Terrell, Rodgers, and Warrick. So drafting a wr high isn't as risky, IMHO as say, drafting a a qb high.

OK, right. As one person said, you could take every position on the field and if you took the TOP TEN picks from them you would find your fair share of busts and bangs. I simply did it for WR because that seems to be a focus for the Browns.

I dont think that to many on the list can even hold Larry Fitgerald's jock strap.

Maybe a few of them would like to get a hold of his package, however. I mean, if there is one position where you would expect to find a gay football player it would be amongst the array of prima donna wide receivers, fair to say?

Not that there is anything wrong with that. (courtesy Jerry Seinfeld)

Archived