THE BROWNS BOARD

Players For The West Coast Offense - And Not.

calfoxwc

Beats me....

but it's an interesting article.

He lists players are are not a good fit -

His picks for the WC offense are:

Greg McElroy, Alabama 3rd QB

Randall Cobb,Kentucky 2nd, WR

Niles Paul WR 4th round

D.J. Williams, Arkansas 3rd/4th round TE

Lance Kendricks 3rd, TE

Jones Brewer, 3rd round, OT

Benjamin Igalave sp?, late 2nd round, OG

OG Mike Person, 6th/7th round, OG

http://bleacherrepor...offense#page/19

To rap up the list, I put together a list of players that don't fit the West Coast System for a variety of reasons (QB's that have poor accuracy, WR's that don't run precise routes, RB's that can't catch, etc). Mike Holmgren should steer clear of these players when the draft rolls around.

Quarterbacks: Cam Newton (Auburn), Jake Locker (Washington), and Christian Ponder (Florida State)

Running Backs: Mikel LeShoure (Illinois), Kendall Hunter (Oklahoma State), and Taiwan Jones (Eastern Washington)

Wide Receivers: Julio Jones (Alabama), Torrey Smith (Maryland), and Leonard Hankerson (Miami)

Tight Ends: Jordan Cameron (Southern California) and Andre Smith (Virginia Tech)

Offensive Tackles: Joseph Barksdale (LSU) and Marcus Cannon (TCU)

Guards: Clint Boling (Georgia) and Zach Hurd (Connecticut)

McElroy seems to me to be the kind of QB that a team like the Browns should take a flyer on in the late rounds. I think he has some Brian Sipe in him. Undersized, underrated but can lead a team.

I agree. McElroy has won at a top level, has a good brain, and has the intangibles you look for if the skill set just doesn't blow you away..

I'd start thinking about him maybe in the 5th, and jump all over him in the 6th.

He is one of those guys you draft and hope.

Give it a few years and see what you've got....if not much, cut him and move on to the next project QB.

Also agree on McElroy, ive been saying it since earlier he'd be a nice fit in the later rounds...

I mean at worst he could hold a clipboard and have a great understanding of the Playbook, extremely smart and that goes along way at the QB postion.Not only for himself but for other QBs on the team as well ala McCoy

the one thing you guys have to get is a TE

not every good tight end is on a west coast team, but every good west coast team has a good tight end

its the best option for the underneath dump off routes to get out of trouble. im surprised the browns didnt pursue jeremy shockey although he is injured a lot.

not a ton of talent at the TE position this year in the draft, but the browns need a big WR and a tight end before they can have any success with a west coast offense

the one thing you guys have to get is a TE

not every good tight end is on a west coast team, but every good west coast team has a good tight end

its the best option for the underneath dump off routes to get out of trouble. im surprised the browns didnt pursue jeremy shockey although he is injured a lot.

not a ton of talent at the TE position this year in the draft, but the browns need a big WR and a tight end before they can have any success with a west coast offense

Evan Moore and Ben Watson>Jeremy Shockey

The guy is always hurt and seems to be more of a pain then hes truly worth, reminds me alot of K2

In all honesty i think Evan Moore is gonna have a breakout season next year and shock alot of people,and Ben Watson just had a Career year

The guy is always hurt and seems to be more of a pain then hes truly worth, reminds me alot of K2

In all honesty i think Evan Moore is gonna have a breakout season next year and shock alot of people,and Ben Watson just had a Career year

Exactly. I think if they take any TE it's because they fell to a point where they were a steal, or they draft that TE/FB out of N. Carolina in the 7th.

in all honesty i like what i saw from moore last season before he got hurt. a few very impressive catches

ben watson is not the TE the browns need tho. he had a career year because there was nobody else to throw to. hillis and watson had to catch all the balls. with a good WR and a good TE the browns wouldnt have been 31st in scoring last year.

and not many TEs are actually better than shockey. he is hurt a ton but his talent shouldnt be in question. and the media had a field day with just about anything he said negative in new york because.....well, it was new york. in new orleans he was a leader just like he was in new york and he added a lot of fire to the team that was much needed. im not saying hes the best in the league but for a team that needs a TE, im just surprised the browns didnt even take a look at him

in all honesty i like what i saw from moore last season before he got hurt. a few very impressive catches

ben watson is not the TE the browns need tho. he had a career year because there was nobody else to throw to. hillis and watson had to catch all the balls. with a good WR and a good TE the browns wouldnt have been 31st in scoring last year.

and not many TEs are actually better than shockey. he is hurt a ton but his talent shouldnt be in question. and the media had a field day with just about anything he said negative in new york because.....well, it was new york. in new orleans he was a leader just like he was in new york and he added a lot of fire to the team that was much needed. im not saying hes the best in the league but for a team that needs a TE, im just surprised the browns didnt even take a look at him

He dosent fit what this organzation is looking for in the case that he is more trouble than he is worth, we have shyed away from any players who have charcater concerns ala Moss etc..

Plus at this point in Shockey's career with his injury history and his production I don't think of him as better than Watson. Watson is a good pass catcher and blocker, the type of TE that Shurmer likes for his WCO. Besides as stated the Browns have much larger needs than a TE at this point. It's something that doesn't need to be focused on until next year at the earliest and if Ben performs like he did last year and Moore keeps improving it could be 3-4 years before the Browns need to take a serious look at TE again.

D. J. Williams would be a great fit for the Browns in the fourth round, but he will probably go before that, in the third.....

I think Green and Peterson are the choices. If both are gone, look for a Browns trade down, in the top fifteen,

and look for Cameron Jordan to be the pick.

Then the number one rated safety... in the second, or Randall Cobb.

But that's probably all wrong... LOL.

Come on, NFL draft !

Archived