THE BROWNS BOARD

Steve Smith?

USFBrown

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/26/steve-smith-cleaned-out-locker-suite-in-carolina-before-lockout/

Steve Smith cleaned out locker, suite in Carolina before lockout

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 26, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT

It’s safe to say Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith won’t be among the handful of players that show up to team facilities on Tuesday.

Eric Edholm of ProFootballWeekly reports that Smith cleaned out his locker and luxury suite at Bank of America Stadium before the lockout ended.

Smith has a luxury box as part of his contract, which contains pictures and momentos from his career. He had them all removed, which is a strong sign that Smith doesn’t plan to return to the team. Edholm also confirms Smith has requested trades in the past.

As pointed out by Pat Yasinskas of ESPN.com, Edholm and Smith have been working on a book together for a while. So it’s probably safe to say his sources are on point here.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera has admitted that Smith’s future with the team was unsure this offseason, and the team sounds open to a possible trade if trades are ultimately allowed once again.

I know he's probably been discussed here before, but what do you guys think about us picking him up? I hope we go after him. We know he is productive and can play. I'm just not sure he'd want to come here after leaving an Carolina.

If we go with Defense early, I saw we try to pick this lil guy up.

He is getting up there in age but he still has some left in the tank. He most likely will go to a contender, but he would straight up be dominating in the slot for us.

I know he's probably been discussed here before, but what do you guys think about us picking him up? I hope we go after him. We know he is productive and can play. I'm just not sure he'd want to come here after leaving an Carolina.

If we go with Defense early, I saw we try to pick this lil guy up.

I live in Charlittte and Steve Smith is a high maintenance dude. And injury prone in recent years and not a youngster anymore. And he is very short, like 5 "8" if that. I cannot remember many short receivers that lasted well into their thirties. I would much rather invest in a young guy and BTW, invest in an offense in the draft since defense never won much in terms of championships

I live in Charlittte and Steve Smith is a high maintenance dude. And injury prone in recent years and not a youngster anymore. And he is very short, like 5 "8" if that. I cannot remember many short receivers that lasted well into their thirties. I would much rather invest in a young guy and BTW, invest in an offense in the draft since defense never won much in terms of championships

I thought you lived outside of Youngstown.

As I understand it, Smith is still under contract with the Panthers, isn't he? Or is he pulling a Carson Palmer and saying that he demands a trade? The Ps however may not be as opposed to a trade as the Bengals however.

Also, I could see this scenario happening: A. The court has instituted a stay of the lockout. B. However, the NFL says they are going about essentially as if the lockout is still in effect, except for allowing the players to come into the team facilities and wander the hallways. C. BUT.....you have a "rogue" owner such as Mike Brown who says to hell with the NFL dictates, it is against the court order for them to do anything to me if I don't "stick to the plan", ergo, I am going to go ahead and trade Carson Palmer and get the best offer I can for him...probably much better than I could have gotten if the lockout had not occurred. (of course he would have to have another team also be willing to buck the system by doing the trade)

Does anyone think this sort of thing could occur?

high maintenance may be the all time understatement. the dude is a diva, and one with a piss poor attitude at that. he's a me-first type of guy AND now he's past his prime so you can't even cover for him by saying "yeah, but damn is he good.".

oh, and he LOVES to sucker punch his teammates if they make a comment about him slacking in practice. ever see that bitch punch he cheap shotted his teammate with? may be the biggest "punk-bitch" thing i've ever seen. for one, don't slack in practice. two, don't get angry if you're slacking and someone calls you on it. and three, don't handle your anger at being called out by ambushing your teammate with a suckerpunch from behind while he's kneeling on the ground listening to a coach speak.

I know that unless something happens tomorrow, players will not be able to be traded. But reports have been that Steve Smith wants out of Carolina and will likely be traded at some point. He is 31 and is coming off of the worst year of his career. How much of that was do to the team? Probably a great deal. This guy likely has 3-5 years left and he has been one of the best over his career. I cannot count the number of time he has put of huge numbers while being double and even triple teamed in games. If we can't get julio jones or AJ. Green I wonder if the browns will make a play for Steve Smith, and what the offer would have to be? To bad we couldn't just swap him straight up for Delhomme. LOL

We need to find a veteran WR.

i hear there is a guy named plexico that might need a job this year. i'm just sayin.

Taking anything but a WR or RB in the first round is akin to accepting another 6 - 10 caliber year.

Not if the RBs you select are like William Green and the WR is like Willis Adams.

Give me Richard Seymour over Braylon Edwards any day. It all just depends on if the guy pick pans out.

We need a REAL WR. Steve Smith is a utility reciever. He is not going to cause chaos on the opposing D.

Just like HIllis is not going to create any havoc without help in 2011.

The Browns need playmakers who can change a game at any given moment, every single week. We don't have any of those guys on offense.

The Browns needs a killer WR, a shifty, slashing, RB, a pass rusher and a bad ass DB, in that order.

Taking anything but a WR or RB in the first round is akin to accepting another 6 - 10 caliber year.

Tell all of the corners and safeties that have never been able to contain him that he is just a utility WR. He is not a real WR? This guy have been one of THE best in the league for years. Who do you think made Delhomme look good for all those years? Double teamed all the time. triple teamed and couldn't be stopped sometimes. You must be smoking something strong if you think this guy isn't a real WR. And for anyone who would take Plaxico over SS, well that is just CRAZY! SS may not be at his best but I bet he will look pretty good when he doesn't have a loser QB throwing him the ball.

I thought you lived outside of Youngstown.

As I understand it, Smith is still under contract with the Panthers, isn't he? Or is he pulling a Carson Palmer and saying that he demands a trade? The Ps however may not be as opposed to a trade as the Bengals however.

Also, I could see this scenario happening: A. The court has instituted a stay of the lockout. B. However, the NFL says they are going about essentially as if the lockout is still in effect, except for allowing the players to come into the team facilities and wander the hallways. C. BUT.....you have a "rogue" owner such as Mike Brown who says to hell with the NFL dictates, it is against the court order for them to do anything to me if I don't "stick to the plan", ergo, I am going to go ahead and trade Carson Palmer and get the best offer I can for him...probably much better than I could have gotten if the lockout had not occurred. (of course he would have to have another team also be willing to buck the system by doing the trade)

Does anyone think this sort of thing could occur?

I grew up in Ytown and Steve Smith is a FA and cleared his locker as said.................and I want no part of him..........and yeah I saw him just a few weeks ago here in Charlotte..............

We need a REAL WR. Steve Smith is a utility reciever. He is not going to cause chaos on the opposing D.

Just like HIllis is not going to create any havoc without help in 2011.

The Browns need playmakers who can change a game at any given moment, every single week. We don't have any of those guys on offense.

The Browns needs a killer WR, a shifty, slashing, RB, a pass rusher and a bad ass DB, in that order.

You got your wish so to speak.......we again trusted a brain trust who made a brain dead decision in round one ten years running........except one

We need to find a veteran WR. Smith is not ideal just because of his age. But he will be able to teach and work in an offense that he is comfortable in.

you obviously never heard Steve Smith speak........he could not teach a flea to jump on a dog

Archived