THE BROWNS BOARD

Trade Talk

CLEVELandMILIDH

Cleveland Browns-Minnesota Vikings Discussing Potential First Round Trade

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

By Bob Evans

Writer

Get ready NFL fans, the lockout has been lifted for less than 24 hours and trade rumors are already starting to swirl.

A league source close to the situation confirmed to National Football Authority that the Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings have had ongoing discussions regarding Minnesota’s No. 12 pick in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft.

According to this source, the Browns have expressed high interest in obtaining two certain players in the first round of this year’s NFL Draft. If the Browns can draft the first player they are interested in with the No. 6 pick and the other player is still available at the No. 12 pick, the two teams plan to make the deal.

While the complete terms of the deal were not discussed; the current talks are centered around the Vikings sending their No. 12 pick in the first round to Cleveland for the Browns' 2012 first round pick and their No. 37 overall pick in the second round of the 2011 Draft.

Targeted prospect names have not been revealed and only actual draft picks have been discussed thus far.

I believe these discussions could potentially mean the Browns are targeting cornerback Patrick Peterson from LSU with the No. 6 pick and could be angling to acquire the No. 12 pick to draft wide receiver Julio Jones from Alabama, if he is still available. Or the Browns could be targeting any number of other prospects too.

If these are indeed the targeted players, it would allow the Browns to insert two opening day starters at areas of need from the first round right away.

This potential deal also could mean that Minnesota is not sold on a quarterback or defensive lineman with the No. 12 pick, and could be looking to draft those positions (and save money in the process) at the top of the second round.

Perhaps the Vikings are looking at picking up Jake Locker at the top of the second, since he has been trending to fall out of the first round altogether, but that could change if there is a run on quarterbacks at the bottom of the first round too.

A risky play by the Vikings, but they could be thinking they would get a Top 10 pick from the Browns in the first round of the 2012 Draft too. On the flip side, the Browns might think having two first round picks this year can make a huge impact for the team in 2011.

Either way you look at it, both teams are in talks and these talks are real right now.

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/04/2011-nfl-draft-cleveland-browns-and_26.html

"I believe these discussions could potentially mean the Browns are targeting cornerback Patrick Peterson from LSU with the No. 6 pick and could be angling to acquire the No. 12 pick to draft wide receiver Julio Jones from Alabama, if he is still available. Or the Browns could be targeting any number of other prospects too."

Sounds good to me!

Zombo

Hell to the yes, thats probaly what it would be grab Peterson at 6 and then wait to see if Washington takes Jones...Thats the only problem i see with the deal is Washington may grab Jones....But if Fairley slipped to 12 he wouldnt be a bad choice to trade back in and grab him as well...

Cant wait for the Draft

I wouldn't mind if the guy we wanted to take at 12 is Ryan Kerrigan.

Agreed i also like Cam Jordan, i know alot of people on here like JJ Watt better but id take Kerrigan first because he fits are scheme alot better...Hes smaller and quicker and is what we are looking for in this 4-3

There are a lot of options at 12 there. I like that they are already in talks. If we come away with Peterson and Jones I may cream my pants.

We may also come out with Green and Amukamara.

I would also be excited with a Green/Peterson and Kerrigan, Watt, Jordan, Fairly, Tyron Smith, or Wilkerson.

Basically I would be excited If we got Green or Peterson and traded back up and got someone else.

I really don't like this idea.

Pick #37 is a really good pick. In essence we are giving up a first round pick to trade up from 37 to 12.

The prospect we get at number 12 isn't going to be significantly better than the players available when we pick next year.

Everyone has stared at the draft board for so long that it starts to feel like there are all these great players but it really isn't any better than any other year.

Unless Heckert truly believes he is getting TWO top five talents, then I don't see this happening.

I think the only player this might involve is Bowers. The Browns might think other teams will pass on him due to injury concerns when it sounds like he has checked out okay with our doctors.

No way Fairley falls that far.

Don't want this to happen, don't think it has much of a chance of happening.

Guys, calm down. Look who wrote this story. i looked up Bob Evans. He's a Cleveland State grad trying to break into writing for one of the major sports teams. Two questions..........

1. Why would anyone in the Browns organization leak this story, much less to the famous Bob Evans?

2. Why would the Vikings do this deal? Do you really think the Vikings brass could face their fans after the head coach and Favre fiascos and then pass on making a selection at #12?

C'mon. i'm ashamed.

I really don't like this idea.

Pick #37 is a really good pick. In essence we are giving up a first round pick to trade up from 37 to 12.

The prospect we get at number 12 isn't going to be significantly better than the players available when we pick next year.

Everyone has stared at the draft board for so long that it starts to feel like there are all these great players but it really isn't any better than any other year.

Unless Heckert truly believes he is getting TWO top five talents, then I don't see this happening.

I think the only player this might involve is Bowers. The Browns might think other teams will pass on him due to injury concerns when it sounds like he has checked out okay with our doctors.

No way Fairley falls that far.

Don't want this to happen, don't think it has much of a chance of happening.

Why don't you do a deal like this? Let me refresh your memories kids. Remember way back in 2007 the Browns did a deal like this to take Brady Quinn? That first round pick we gave to the Cowboys in 2008 could have landed the Browns Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, or Chris Johnson- take your pick. And to add insult to injury- get a load of this- that #36 pick in 2007 traded to the Cowboys to move up to get Quinn wound up in the hands of the Eagles- wanna know who it was? Kevin Kolb. Just extra special.

Add in you don't trade away future picks unless you think you're a player or two away- not in a rebuilding mode like the Browns are. And Heckert was quoted as saying the Browns still have holes all over the place. The Steelers probably draft better than anyone, and I can't recall the last time they traded away a future pick to move up.

"I believe these discussions could potentially mean the Browns are targeting cornerback Patrick Peterson from LSU with the No. 6 pick and could be angling to acquire the No. 12 pick to draft wide receiver Julio Jones from Alabama, if he is still available. Or the Browns could be targeting any number of other prospects too."

Sounds good to me!

Zombo

Yeah, and our DL, LBs, and RT will be? Rubin, Fujita and? Kindly take the rose colored glasses off before you reply. Bernard? Roth? Gocong? Schafering? Not exactly Pro Bowl material. Can Tony Pashos stay healthy? Ditto D'quel Jackson- and even if 100% he's far from an elite MLB.

I can't see the logic of the Vikes trading out of the #12 slot anyway- natural spot to take Amukamara, and then go qb shopping for whichever one falls to the second round. If Gabbert or Newton are still around, they go no farther. In fact, if either of the two are still on the board when the Browns are on the clock @ #6, the swap may well go the other way around!

I'd say if there are discussions on trading with the Vikings, it would be them moving up to #6 and us getting more picks.

I am not going to look it up on the chart, but that would probably mean us getting their #2 and #4 this year, and next years #2 or #3.

As much as I would like to add a stud like Peterson, I also like the odds Heckert can take those extra picks and bring in core type players, and we are a team who could stand to add a few more players like that.

Also, the writers logic is flawed. The lockout doesn't impact the teams ability to trade draft picks....only players, so the lifting of the lockout has nothing to do with these "true" discussions.

As to the validity of the article ... I don't believe any trade rumors, they never happen the way they are imagined before the draft. These team's camps are too tight. I don't know who the author is, I don't care ... what I'm saying is I love any draft that gets us both Peterson and Jones ... this franchise doesn't need a gentle push, it needs a kickstart.

Yeah, and our DL, LBs, and RT will be? Rubin, Fujita and? Kindly take the rose colored glasses off before you reply. Bernard? Roth? Gocong? Schafering? Not exactly Pro Bowl material. Can Tony Pashos stay healthy? Ditto D'quel Jackson- and even if 100% he's far from an elite MLB.

I can't see the logic of the Vikes trading out of the #12 slot anyway- natural spot to take Amukamara, and then go qb shopping for whichever one falls to the second round. If Gabbert or Newton are still around, they go no farther. In fact, if either of the two are still on the board when the Browns are on the clock @ #6, the swap may well go the other way around!

As to the quote above, yes I can live with some of those guys you named for another season if it means grabbing that kind of talent. And then there is free agency ... no reason not to think we won't be major players ... we picked up four or five starters through free agency last year, I'm sure Heckert has the same designs this year. And some of those guys you named above are actually pretty good players. No team has Pro bowlers at every position. I think a guy like Gocong might be a real nice fit in a 4-3.

Zombo

Guys, calm down. Look who wrote this story. i looked up Bob Evans. He's a Cleveland State grad trying to break into writing for one of the major sports teams. Two questions..........

1. Why would anyone in the Browns organization leak this story, much less to the famous Bob Evans?

Because the dude makes damn good sausage?

2. Why would the Vikings do this deal? Do you really think the Vikings brass could face their fans after the head coach and Favre fiascos and then pass on making a selection at #12?

C'mon. i'm ashamed.

I agree. I think it is more likely for the Vikings to trade up with the Browns to get a QB with our #6 pick. We take the #12, plus their 2d rounder, plus more, whatever that may be.

It's also possible, that the Pats will trade up to get Von Miller, the lb they want.

Their first pick is at 17, and they have the picks to give up in a trade.

This draft is going to be crazy. Tomorrow night !

Let's say this deal is real. Im a little hesitant to wanna do this. The only problem is what if somebody gets hurt (McCoy or Hillis) and our season goes downhill. We lose our 2012 1st round pick and miss out on talent.

But i like it, especially if we get Peterson at #6 and then hope Julio Jones is there at #12

Along another trade talk line, the Panthers have been reported to want to get back into the 2nd round (since they dont have a 2nd round pick)http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6438623. they own the 1st and the last (a compensatory pick) picks in the 3rd round.

Purely hypothetically, would you give the panthers #37 (our second round pick) for their 2 3rd round picks (#65 and #97), and their 4th and 5th round picks (98 and 132)?

This is the compensation that adds up on the draft point value chart that would make sense. (http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm)

Just curious...

Along another trade talk line, the Panthers have been reported to want to get back into the 2nd round (since they dont have a 2nd round pick)http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6438623. they own the 1st and the last (a compensatory pick) picks in the 3rd round.

Purely hypothetically, would you give the panthers #37 (our second round pick) for their 2 3rd round picks (#65 and #97), and their 4th and 5th round picks (98 and 132)?

This is the compensation that adds up on the draft point value chart that would make sense. (http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm)

Just curious...

sounds like something interesting and it wouldnt surprise me if H&H would do that

I wouldn't do the deal. The player in second round, that they could get, is too important, to just

try to get a similar player in the third - speaking of wr's...@@

IOW's, the drop off from Randall Cobb, and Titus Young, is pretty significant.

Archived