THE BROWNS BOARD

Undrafted Free Agents

daddybull1

I realize that the players we select in the upcoming draft become the property of the Browns. Although we drafted them, as I understand it, we cannot sign them to a contract until after a new CBA has been reached..

However, what is the status of the undrafted college free agents.. Can we offer them a contract?? Can we have contact with them.. Can we somehow get a futures deal with them??

What is the status dealing with undrafted college free agents...

Thanks in advance for any and all information..

Peace

T.Dawg

We might not have to wait until there is a new CBA because of the ended lockout, the owners will have to come up with a temporary set of rules or adopt last years CBA for the time being. We won't be able to sign anyone until that happens, but the owners should get started on it when the Judge denies the owners a stay in her ruling. Also since the lockout is over, teams should be able to contact undrafted guys and gauge interest, but really that doesn't do much for anyone.

We might not have to wait until there is a new CBA because of the ended lockout, the owners will have to come up with a temporary set of rules or adopt last years CBA for the time being. We won't be able to sign anyone until that happens, but the owners should get started on it when the Judge denies the owners a stay in her ruling. Also since the lockout is over, teams should be able to contact undrafted guys and gauge interest, but really that doesn't do much for anyone.

My guess is, should the stay not be granted and the Appeals Court takes too long to get things moving for appeal, the owners institute the last beast offer made, which was on the one in March that got the players to walk away from the table.

The problem is this, without a union, it is against labor law to have a uniform set of rules across all teams (indeed the draft is not legal either). So if the owners institute a set of rules, expect that the players will create another lawsuit saying that the set of rules breaks federal labor anti-trust laws. So basically the "new set of rules" would be a "no-rules" environment. No salary cap, no salary floor, no draft, no free agency, nothing.

Whether you like Mike Florio on PFT or not, one thing he's good at, is explaining these legal things in lay mans terms. He's a lawyer by trade, so he's pretty good at translating the legalese.

My guess is, should the stay not be granted and the Appeals Court takes too long to get things moving for appeal, the owners institute the last beast offer made, which was on the one in March that got the players to walk away from the table.

The problem is this, without a union, it is against labor law to have a uniform set of rules across all teams (indeed the draft is not legal either). So if the owners institute a set of rules, expect that the players will create another lawsuit saying that the set of rules breaks federal labor anti-trust laws. So basically the "new set of rules" would be a "no-rules" environment. No salary cap, no salary floor, no draft, no free agency, nothing.

Whether you like Mike Florio on PFT or not, one thing he's good at, is explaining these legal things in lay mans terms. He's a lawyer by trade, so he's pretty good at translating the legalese.

But it's still something the players are not likely to do. While they are not a Union, owners could get away with paying players what ever they want. Since the players don't want that they will agree to a set of rules, like say the rules from the old CBA, in order to keep making good money while a new CBA is worked on. The players will also not reform the Union until after there is a new CBA so they wouldn't be able to just hold off on it if they wanted to have their wages permanently protected.

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated..

One more thing though. Are the teams allowed to talk with the undrafted free agents??

As I understand it, teams are not allowed to have contact with players that are already in the league during this period of time... Do the same rules apply to the draft picks in addition to the UFA's???

Damn I wish this labor thing could be settled soon.. With the amount of money involved you'd think both sides would have a sense of urgency...

Thanks again for the info..

Peace

T.Dawg

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated..

One more thing though. Are the teams allowed to talk with the undrafted free agents??

As I understand it, teams are not allowed to have contact with players that are already in the league during this period of time... Do the same rules apply to the draft picks in addition to the UFA's???

Damn I wish this labor thing could be settled soon.. With the amount of money involved you'd think both sides would have a sense of urgency...

Thanks again for the info..

Peace

T.Dawg

As of right now teams are being advised to not talk to players because of the stay that owners are proposing. Technically it is illegal for the NFL leaders to force teams to not have contact with people. That is why the facilities are open and people in the front office where the ones to talk with most players who came in, also why the Giants really didn't get in trouble to letting players work out and talk to coaches. The fine the Giant's or to say they are in trouble in any way is illegal since the lockout has ended.

But it's still something the players are not likely to do. While they are not a Union, owners could get away with paying players what ever they want. Since the players don't want that they will agree to a set of rules, like say the rules from the old CBA, in order to keep making good money while a new CBA is worked on. The players will also not reform the Union until after there is a new CBA so they wouldn't be able to just hold off on it if they wanted to have their wages permanently protected.

The problem is, without a union, and without a lockout, it is illegal for the NFL to institute a set of rules that applies to all teams. And without a union, how do they negotiate a new CBA?

Most likely, what will happen is what happened in 1987 and then there will be CBA purgatory through 2017 (1987 to 1993 there was no CBA)

I realize that the players we select in the upcoming draft become the property of the Browns. Although we drafted them, as I understand it, we cannot sign them to a contract until after a new CBA has been reached..

However, what is the status of the undrafted college free agents.. Can we offer them a contract?? Can we have contact with them.. Can we somehow get a futures deal with them??

What is the status dealing with undrafted college free agents...

Thanks in advance for any and all information..

Peace

T.Dawg

The answer is no one quite knows for sure at this point.

The problem is, without a union, and without a lockout, it is illegal for the NFL to institute a set of rules that applies to all teams. And without a union, how do they negotiate a new CBA?

Most likely, what will happen is what happened in 1987 and then there will be CBA purgatory through 2017 (1987 to 1993 there was no CBA)

You negotiate a new CBA the way they did last week. There was no Union, but they were still at the bargaining table. Really what this does is it give the players the edge. The owners are now really going to want to get a deal on the table (signed saying no NFL plays can sue for Anti Trust laws with the new CBA) so that they don't have to deal with a free for all. I think now if owners get any of the extra 1 billion that they wanted, they are only getting around 100 million at best, if any of it at all. You will also see retired players getting more health insurance, maybe still the rookie cap that both sides already agreed on agreed on. I also see the players wanting something like a council set up for fines and suspensions, instead of Goodell having all the power on decisions like that.

Archived