THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Trade #6 Overall To Atlanta

ATENEARS

Unfortunately, too many people suffer from revisionist history...where they believe we could go back (knowing now what we didn't know then) and make better decisions.

I was excited about the Couch pick back then...though I realized (shortly afterwards) that we really desperately needed to fix our O-line. I loved KJ as a WR...but he was better suited for a #2 role...and not the #1. I wouldn't have minded having Donovan McNabb..because his athleticism might have allowed him to survive our O-line issues (well, at least he would have survived longer.)

Regardless, Couch as a pick wasn't necessarily a mistake, but the teams plan for building was.

Even knowing what we know now I still would rather roll the dice and try and draft a franchise QB then select Damien Woody with the ONE overall.

Even knowing what we know now I still would rather roll the dice and try and draft a franchise QB then select Damien Woody with the ONE overall.

I don't disagree in the least bit. I think that the Browns should have worked their O-line immediately after that...whether it's trading for lineman using draft picks, or drafting them.

Like I said earlier...I don't think that drafting Couch was a mistake...I think that McNabb would have been a smarter pick...and that Couch would have been a success had he been drafted by the Eagles. McNabb's mobility would have given us a much greater chance at success.

but mcnabb wasn't even in the top 5 discussion that year. wasn't it between couch and the guy that played for the ducks (can't remember his name right now but he swore vengeance on the browns for not picking him #1 and he didn't even last a couple of years in the league)?

i loved the couch pick. i'll never forget watching the hall of fame game in that incumbent year where couch floated the over the shoulder pass to kj in the end zone. thought we had something there. but you who say you build from the center out (on both sides) are correct. i would've thrown everyone except couch in there for a couple of years and drafted a sure fire c, nt, then rb and safety when available in those first couple of years back. not a jeff faine or a william green.

but mcnabb wasn't even in the top 5 discussion that year. wasn't it between couch and the guy that played for the ducks (can't remember his name right now but he swore vengeance on the browns for not picking him #1 and he didn't even last a couple of years in the league)?

i loved the couch pick. i'll never forget watching the hall of fame game in that incumbent year where couch floated the over the shoulder pass to kj in the end zone. thought we had something there. but you who say you build from the center out (on both sides) are correct. i would've thrown everyone except couch in there for a couple of years and drafted a sure fire c, nt, then rb and safety when available in those first couple of years back. not a jeff faine or a william green.

You are referring to Akili Smith. This was also the same year that Edgerrin James and Ricky Williams were drafted. Torry Holt, Champ Bailey, David Boston (the OSU homer in me wanted him pretty bad, hehe) Overall, it was actually a pretty good draft (in the first round). I was a bit intrigued by McNabb's mobility. But Couch was the consensus #1 guy in that draft.

Still wish the Browns had given more thought to their offensive and defensive lines...but we were so late to the game putting a team together...that it's hardly surprising.

You are referring to Akili Smith. This was also the same year that Edgerrin James and Ricky Williams were drafted. Torry Holt, Champ Bailey, David Boston (the OSU homer in me wanted him pretty bad, hehe) Overall, it was actually a pretty good draft (in the first round). I was a bit intrigued by McNabb's mobility. But Couch was the consensus #1 guy in that draft.

Still wish the Browns had given more thought to their offensive and defensive lines...but we were so late to the game putting a team together...that it's hardly surprising.

yes, thanks. and i think he was drafted by cincy? i kinda remember him coming into cleveland and pretty much being irrelevant in that game. yes they had good players in that draft and yes our FO back then went for glam instead of building around and looking forward to future drafts which we've been trying to fix the last ten years. i believed in mangini and heckertt. now it's the doughboy and heckertt. at least i see the relevance in these last couple of years' picks.

hey things can only get better, i guess. let's hope so anyways!

We spent 2 top 5 picks on D-Line in years 2 and 3. They obviously just didn't work out.

I always wondered what Couch would have been with a good line. He always struck me as a guy with big heart which is a great thing and he has some glimpses where he did look like he was on the right track. I am also curious to see what would have happened to Kurt Warner if for some reason we would taken him in the expansion draft (St. Louis left him unprotected) Would he have had any sort of success with us??

All those second round picks we wasted on WR's is honestly what I think killed us.

Faine wasn't a bad pick either. It isn't like we took him top 10. We took him the draft after we actually made the playoffs and he has had a pretty decent career.

Unfortunately, too many people suffer from revisionist history...where they believe we could go back (knowing now what we didn't know then) and make better decisions.

I was excited about the Couch pick back then...though I realized (shortly afterwards) that we really desperately needed to fix our O-line. I loved KJ as a WR...but he was better suited for a #2 role...and not the #1. I wouldn't have minded having Donovan McNabb..because his athleticism might have allowed him to survive our O-line issues (well, at least he would have survived longer.)

Regardless, Couch as a pick wasn't necessarily a mistake, but the teams plan for building was.

Revisionist history can kill you- and I've done the "what if" post way too many times- but the Browns were they were in the early 2000s due to terrible drafting. Those "consensus' picks didn't mean diddly- the guys couldn't play. LOL, we wouldn't have needed Willie Green if we had drafted LaDanian Tomlinson the year before, but it was brought up just how well Kurt Warner would have fared if Clark had ESP and taken him in the expansion draft.

20\20 hindsight says we should have taken the Ditka trade- but not if we drafted guys like Rahim Abdullah.

Revisionist history can kill you- and I've done the "what if" post way too many times- but the Browns were they were in the early 2000s due to terrible drafting. Those "consensus' picks didn't mean diddly- the guys couldn't play. LOL, we wouldn't have needed Willie Green if we had drafted LaDanian Tomlinson the year before, but it was brought up just how well Kurt Warner would have fared if Clark had ESP and taken him in the expansion draft.

20\20 hindsight says we should have taken the Ditka trade- but not if we drafted guys like Rahim Abdullah.

The Ditka deal to me would have been a no brainer. We needed so much help at that point it would have made too much sense to do that deal. Obviously scouting is a huge key to the draft and our staff in charge of drafting wasn't the best ... but the draft is also a numbers game to a certain extent and I am sure we would have gotten something out of all those extra picks. It would have been pretty cool to to see us with the 1 and 2 overall picks in the 2000 draft also.

• 4 years later...

stop with the JT hate. Just because the Browns swung and missed horribly on so many other draft picks that we couldn't build a decent team doesn't mean the JT pick was bad. I'm thoroughly convinced that had we drafted Luck a few years ago he'd be another sad chapter in Cleveland QB history cause we couldn't build dick for a team around him. Oh and we change coaches every year. Like that doesn't affect anything right? The team as a whole is a disaster but JT is one of the few bright spots, as bright as an OL can be in any case.

stop with the JT hate. Just because the Browns swung and missed horribly on so many other draft picks that we couldn't build a decent team doesn't mean the JT pick was bad. I'm thoroughly convinced that had we drafted Luck a few years ago he'd be another sad chapter in Cleveland QB history cause we couldn't build dick for a team around him. Oh and we change coaches every year. Like that doesn't affect anything right? The team as a whole is a disaster but JT is one of the few bright spots, as bright as an OL can be in any case.

Curious why you dredged up this thread after 5 years....a thread that has nothing to do with your current post. Interesting.

Archived