THE BROWNS BOARD

Pro Bowl Change? Huh?

nobuo

From NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

NFL athletes already really dislike risking injury in a meaningless game, so now they want to put it in a less appealing location AND have it right before the Super Bowl? Yeah I can really see a QB looking at the Super Bowl just jumping at the chance to play in this game. I'd "come down with the 24 hour flu" that day.

From NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

NFL athletes already really dislike risking injury in a meaningless game, so now they want to put it in a less appealing location AND have it right before the Super Bowl? Yeah I can really see a QB looking at the Super Bowl just jumping at the chance to play in this game. I'd "come down with the 24 hour flu" that day.

Under the new format, players involved in the Super Bowl don't play in the Pro Bowl.

I like the move. It's not like anyone takes the Pro Bowl seriously anyway, so nothing will be lost when it comes to the non-competition. Show of hands here, folks: how many of us watch the Pro Bowl? For that matter, how many of us even know that the Pro Bowl is even taking place? I usually find out that they played the game a week and a half later or so.

I think it would be cool to scrap the "game" altogether, or at least minimize it--treat it like the NBA All-Star Break, where the no-defense absurdity is largely ignored in lieu of the cool skills competitions they have the day before. That way the guys could showcase their skills without an even diminished risk of injury, and fans could be entertained without pretending to be outraged by getting short-changed by a game they watch for free on television anyway.

Dennis

And WHY would the NFL even consider something like this?!

Wow, you want to talk about the death kneel for the Pro Bowl, this would be it.

They need to just dump the game.

Name the all-pro team, give them and a guest a week in Hawaii or somewhere else(maybe move it around) for a fanfest type deal.

Football can't play a real game. It's like hockey and basketball...people go through the motions, not to mention risk injury.

Baseball is the only sport that can actually play a game that resembles a real game.

Archived