THE BROWNS BOARD

The Economy

Mr. T

Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Wal-Mart's core shoppers are running out of money much faster than a year ago due to rising gasoline prices, and the retail giant is worried, CEO Mike Duke said Wednesday.

"We're seeing core consumers under a lot of pressure," Duke said at an event in New York. "There's no doubt that rising fuel prices are having an impact."

Wal-Mart shoppers, many of whom live paycheck to paycheck, typically shop in bulk at the beginning of the month when their paychecks come in.

Lately, they're "running out of money" at a faster clip, he said.

"Purchases are really dropping off by the end of the month even more than last year," Duke said. "This end-of-month [purchases] cycle is growing to be a concern.

Source

People and businesses ability to pay their bills are getting worse. The trend reminds me of January 20th 2009 when the whole depression started.

The inflation we talked about months ago, is hitting harder now.

Soon, I'll start a thread about recipes. Like, making your own pickled eggs, your own mayonaise, a really outstanding

bread recipe using barley malt syrup and others, etc.

Things get worse, it will be good to know how to do and make some things on your own.

Hey, T - we've planted 103 trays of veggie seeds so far, 90 percent of the trays have sprouted...

that's well over 3-00 plants growing...

We've tentatively picked out a good chicken coop design and location, hope to build it some weekend about

two weeks away - right before we start putting in the entire garden....

While I do feel sorry for the people who are facing difficult times in this economy, I hardly feel sorry for Walmart - It has bankrupted small owners when the economy was good.

FWIW in my hometown Carrollton Ohio the village successfully kept Walmart out.

Downtown is just as dismal as ever.

Worse actually.

One of the leaders of that resistance was the owner of the biggest grocery in town.

Seems we forget that he'd put Als Supermarket out of business as Al had put Ferrell's Market out who'd likely undercut the guy who rode into topwn to sell eggs or milk.

Sure we miss Mayberry but it's just a natural cycle of business in an expanding world.

WSS

Walmart sales are used to measure how well the economy is doing since they are one of the #1 department stores across the nation.

If they say that their sales are declining because of inflation, it is worth mentioning.

What do you pay on average "today" on food alone compared to what you were paying 2 years ago? Let alone lets add in the cost of electric, natural gas, insurance? Or lets take a look at how much you are taxed, local, city, county, state and federal taxes.

Its time for a real change and we need to vote out all of the RINOS along with all of the Democrat LIBS and start this thing over. Its time to de-regulate and lower taxes. Its time for Big brother wether it be your local city council or state rep to your congressman or woman to get off our backs and let us live the american dream without interfering in the name of fairness.

You work hard, you deserve to keep what you earn.

Byah!

Soon after Democrats took over the houses.

:D

WSS

Steve, Lefty's dont want anyone to know that.

Here is something worth noting.

The co$t of Gold has doubled over the past 2 years like everything else.

And we can blame that on the Lefty's since they had absolute power.

Walmart sales are used to measure how well the economy is doing since they are one of the #1 department stores across the nation.

If they say that their sales are declining because of inflation, it is worth mentioning.

What do you pay on average "today" on food alone compared to what you were paying 2 years ago? Let alone lets add in the cost of electric, natural gas, insurance? Or lets take a look at how much you are taxed, local, city, county, state and federal taxes.

Its time for a real change and we need to vote out all of the RINOS along with all of the Democrat LIBS and start this thing over. Its time to de-regulate and lower taxes. Its time for Big brother wether it be your local city council or state rep to your congressman or woman to get off our backs and let us live the american dream without interfering in the name of fairness.

You work hard, you deserve to keep what you earn.

Byah!

FWIW, deregulation killed my father's business (moving & storage). Naturally, I'm opposed to that concept.

Gas is on the average at $4 per gallon and the cost of energy continues to keep rising.

As we remember this is what helped drive us into this recession in the first place. Will we have a double dip recession?

Archived