THE BROWNS BOARD

Buster Skrine

TheClevelandSound

BUSTERRR

I actually met this dude a few times at track tournaments (and we have a few mutual friends), especially when I was a freshman and sophomore at UNCC. I'm not sure about his football skills all too much, but having sized him up on a personal level, he's a great personality who's fiery competitive.

He's a tiny dude though, I'm around 6 feet and he looked to be around 5'9'. Wished he possessed more size, but I guess if that were the case, he'd be higher up on many draft boards.

Welcome to the Browns Buster!

A guy with that size and speed could be a punt returner and nickel\dime back. Nice late round stab.

Z

Gerald McNeil II

Yeah, like the bio on him said, he'll get destroyed if matched up against the 6'4" guys- they'll just out jump him for the ball.

He'll be a very dangerous returner and nickle back. he's a freakin kick arse football player. His speed is fantastic, but

he has the heart of a football player.

Fantastic role player in the future. Possible game breaker. Nice pick.

I like how Heckert pointed out that he had 4 different DB coaches is 4 years. This guy has all the physical skills to actually be a good starting CB (his size is the only knock in the category) he just needs the ability. He doesn't have great numbers as a corner who started all 4 years (except for tackles) but I think having a good coach could pay dividend. I feel like at worst this guy will be a good nickel CB and return man after Cribbs is gone.

can't say I have been to many Moc games the last few years....two to be exact, but each time Buster was clearly one of the better players on the field.

Speed can't be coached, and he has that no doubt.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56412&draftyear=2008&genpos=CB

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=103388&draftyear=2011&genpos=CB

Here is a comparison of Buster and Leodis Mckelvin, Buster is like 3 lbs lighter and 1/2 in shorter. Not once was Leodies metioned as being in need of getting bigger, like Buster has. Buster has better all around number also, but Leodis went number 11 in the 1st round. Im thinking we have gotten amazing value with this kid and one of the possible steals of the draft.

Buster says he was .... disappointed in his 37.5 verticle leap. He said he's done 40-41 several times. The times he gets outjumped on a high ball,

by a taller, jumping wr... will be far outweighed by Buster being in the perfect place to intercept a ball, or knock a ball down, or prevent

a pass to the receiver's direction in the first place.

I love this draft bigtime.

Buster says he was .... disappointed in his 37.5 verticle leap. He said he's done 40-41 several times. The times he gets outjumped on a high ball,

by a taller, jumping wr... will be far outweighed by Buster being in the perfect place to intercept a ball, or knock a ball down, or prevent

a pass to the receiver's direction in the first place.

I love this draft bigtime.

He also said that he was mad with his official 4.37 40 time at the combine because he slipped at the 10 yard line.

But still he has a fantastic vertical to make up for it, and in the 5th he brings great value.

No argument there. He certainly can beat Cribbs in a 40 yard dash. If he turns into a solid nickle back, we got value- more than that- we got a steal.

Yeah, and I had to look it up- if the combine measurements are correct- Buster is an inch taller, and 5 pounds heavier that a former Browns cornerback you might remember- Frank Minnifield. :)

No argument there. He certainly can beat Cribbs in a 40 yard dash. If he turns into a solid nickle back, we got value- more than that- we got a steal.

Yeah, and I had to look it up- if the combine measurements are correct- Buster is an inch taller, and 5 pounds heavier that a former Browns cornerback you might remember- Frank Minnifield. :)

Thanks. I hadn't yet looked it up, but I had thought that this kid was same size as Mini.

This was a very good draft with a LOT of "upside".

Mike

He also said that he was mad with his official 4.37 40 time at the combine because he slipped at the 10 yard line.

This sentence baffles me, haha. I love it.

The thing that you guys are all forgetting about his size, and being out-jumped by bigger receivers is that the QB still has to place it extremely well. I mean now if he is going against Reggie Wayne ((which i doubt would happen)) Peyton Manning is one of a few QBs that can hit right where he wants to most of the time.

I would say his height only effects him if he is going against a big WR with a good QB. Think Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Ryan. Even those guys are going to miss. With his elite speed, he isn't going to be outrun which means there will need to be a damn near perfect pass for a completion against.

Thrilled with this pick.

Lets worry about covering WRs like ANQUAN BOLDIN!

Sure.....but then you aren't going to find those guys in the 5th round unless you totally luck out.

The height doesn't bother me that much, but it doesn't really help to bring in corners from 20 years ago.

Sure, you had a few guys like Harold Carmichael, but by and large, receivers have gotten taller and thicker in the legs over the last 20 years.

It just depends on the corners skills.

To defend a pass, it isn't always about tipping the ball away.

Samual is not from twenty years ago. Each guy spans generations from the 80's, 90's and 2000's.

As I said, just three off the top of my head. Corner height is way overrated, there is so much more to playing the position. If Skrine makes it, it's going to be because he can play football, it really has nothing to do with his height.

When we start seeing 6'5 corners, I'll buy into height being such a determining factor in coverage matchups.

Archived