THE BROWNS BOARD

Now That The Draft Is Over... 2012 Draft Prospects.

I know it's early, but based on this draft, I got a few players that I want already in next years draft.

Vontaze Burfict - MLB, Arizona State. Note: 1:53

Fills a need at MLB, and is the best MLB in the draft. Dude is a beast, and packs the punch. Looks like the attitude of the players we drafted this year. Was surprised to not see any LBs taken in this years draft.

Alshon Jeffery - WR, South Carolina

Gives Colt McCoy another great option alongside Greg Little. At 6-4 and 231 he has elite size for the position. Like Little, he doesn't have elite speed, but will out-power you for the ball. And most likely out-jump you. Would have challenged AJ Green for that top spot at WR this year. Woulda prolly been ahead of Julio Jones had he been eligible to come out.

Mark Barron - S, Alabama

His highlight tape (not posted, it said no room) does not really show his best moments, but it was from 2009 as a Sophomore. It does show he has great instincts and has a knack for being around the ball.

Nate Potter - OT, Boise State

No videos

Best OT in the draft, as of now. If we wanna shore up the line, we gotta do it through the draft. I think Pinkston projects better as a RG than a RT, and we can't count on a late 5th rounder to be the answer at RT anyways. Our line could look like Thomas-Lavau(sp?)/Steinbach-Mack-Pinkston/Lavau-Potter in the near future. that would be an All-Pro caliber line.

Jared Crick - DT, Nebraska

Gives us another DT if we feel Rubin can't get the job done (no I am not counting him out, but he may be a better NT than DT so may not fit the scheme). Crick has been great the past 2 seasons, and underrated IMHO.

Brandon Jenkins - DE, Florida State

At 6-3 and 234, he prolly fits better as a 3-4 OLB, but he could be that smaller quick rush DE that we are looking for a la Trent Cole. May need to fill out some, but after some research he is a tad taller and about the same weight as Cole was coming out, so I don't doubt that he can't do it.

I am sure there are others, but these are the early leaders for my wish list.

That MLB is nasty. I would wait and see how our current WR's plus Little do next season in the WCO before you get your hopes up over a WR. A interchangeable G/T would make sense because Steinbach is getting up there in age. Also when it comes to DE, I don't think we take a guy that small in the 1st. I know that might be the type of guys Heckert wants for DE, but you don't take a guy that small for that position in the first. There is a reason Heckert has never drafted a DE in the first round.

You mention Burfict but fail to mention Manti te'o? Tsk tsk. Both linebackers are extremely beast linebackers. We're talking Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis-ceiling type linebackers.

Anyways, I already know the guys I want for next year's draft.

Alshon Jeffrey, Vontaze, Manti Te'o, and if Colt McCoy regresses: We trade for Andrew Luck. That guy is as sure of a thing at QB since Peyton. He reminds me of a much better Matt Ryan w/mobility.

You mention Burfict but fail to mention Manti te'o? Tsk tsk. Both linebackers are extremely beast linebackers. We're talking Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis-ceiling type linebackers.

Anyways, I already know the guys I want for next year's draft.

Alshon Jeffrey, Vontaze, Manti Te'o, and if Colt McCoy regresses: We trade for Andrew Luck. That guy is as sure of a thing at QB since Peyton. He reminds me of a much better Matt Ryan w/mobility.

This year for supplemental -

Janoris Jenkins - CB/Jackass - Florida... Get him cheap, cut him lose if he acts stupid... Sign him for big bucks if he performs... WIN / WIN

Noel Devine - HB WVU -

+ Surprised this guy didn't go in the 6th or 7th. He is speedy and cheap at this point... albeit small.

Jeff Demps - HB Florida

+ I love Hillis, but his running style is dangerous to his longevity. Demps is a legit HB that also happens to be a 100m olympic style speedster. Could be a nice compliment to Hillis. He isn't an every-down HB, but who is these days?... minus Hillis.

Manti Te'o - MLB Notre Dame

+ Watched his highlights and he is ALWAYS around the ball. A genuine MLB that reminds me a lil of Urlacher/R. Lewis.

Dre Kirkpatrick - CB Bama

+ Not really a speedster as his 40 is 4.49... While it is fast, he is 6'2", 190 lbs... He could beef up and play safety.

Blair Walsh - K Georgia

+ Absolute CANNON for a leg. This guy can kick it a mile. I like Dawson, but his time has come and gone.

Chris Owusu - WR Stanford

+ While I feel like he is the product of having the best college QB throwing to him (see Massaquoi), I really like this guy's upstanding nature and his toughness... not to mention his hands. 6'2" 4.47 in the 40 isn't the BURNER I want but I like the intangibles.

I think next year's linebacking core is the special exception where there are 2 candidates for the "best". Trust me, Manti Te'o is as every bit of a monster as Burfict. Both will be pro bowlers.

That's even better, because I highly doubt those two guys will go 1-2, which gives us a chance to grab one.

Dre Kirkpatrick - CB Bama

+ Not really a speedster as his 40 is 4.49... While it is fast, he is 6'2", 190 lbs... He could beef up and play safety.

I probably know more about Alabama, their schemes, their coaching style and their players than anyone else on this board and I can safely say, Kirkpatrick is being severely overrated because of his size. Trust me, he won't switch to safety. I wouldn't go near him with any of our picks next year. To be fair, he's also a lot faster than his 4.49 speed. He plays at about Amukamara's speed (4.37).

I also want to bring to people's attention Knile Davis. That kid could be something special. He's just a straight up beast. I wouldn't draft a RB in the first round unless it's the late 1st round (we could use our Atlanta pick) and he's this special of a runningback. I also like Richardson out of Alabama. He's a much better prospect than Ingram.

I probably know more about Alabama, their schemes, their coaching style and their players than anyone else on this board and I can safely say, Kirkpatrick is being severely overrated because of his size. Trust me, he won't switch to safety. I wouldn't go near him with any of our picks next year. To be fair, he's also a lot faster than his 4.49 speed. He plays at about Amukamara's speed (4.37).

I also want to bring to people's attention Knile Davis. That kid could be something special. He's just a straight up beast. I wouldn't draft a RB in the first round unless it's the late 1st round (we could use our Atlanta pick) and he's this special of a runningback. I also like Richardson out of Alabama. He's a much better prospect than Ingram.

Good to know... Personally I am wary of Bama products... Much as I am wary of anyone from my Buckeyes.

He is too smart... I like my QBs to be fast, Retarded and have a taste for codeine.

haha i like. But in seriousness I'm a browns fan first and a colt mccoy fan second. If he does not do well this year, we are a top ten or top five pick team in next years draft. Many say Luck is going #1 next year..why? That's assuming the team holding the number 1 pick has no QB of the future. This draft saw 6 teams take 1st or 2nd round Qbs for the future (Carolina, Titans, Vikings, Jaguars, 49ers, Cincy) so thats 6 less teams that will take Luck at #1 or even in the top five. I totally see Luck on our radar this year and at least in one of our many draft scenario possibilities depending on Mccoy and our season. We have two 1st rounders next year. If we had to use that second 1st to jump a team to get up to grab him I would totally pull that trigger. Of course this is in the scenario of us tanking our season, McCoy doing bad, and Luck having his usual great college season.

Well yeah, I wanna see how McCoy does this yea. If he does well, we probably wont be in position to draft Luck anyways, but if he does poorly we are probably in position to draft him or move up for him.

Right now a QB is not so much a "need," so I didn't post Luck, but he would obviously be our top prospect if McCoy should falter. Right now, without the FA, and season showing us who is where and how they are progressing and playing together, our quote-unquote "needs" probably look about like this not necessarily in this order:

LB - middle and/or outside. LBs are premium in the NFL, so we would have to way overpay for a solid one, might as well try and get it through the draft next year

DE - This one is definitely a wait-and-see type of position. Roth and/or Benard could suffice, but I am not gonna hold my breath. We may be able to get Edwards or something in FA.

OT - Would be nice to see what we got in Pinkston, but I hope it's not because we are doing poorly and wanna get the young guys reps. We could also get like Clabo or something in FA.

WR - Call it a need or call it a luxary I am not gonna hold my breath for Massaquoi, Cribbs, Robiskie, Mitchell. We may be able to take a rd 2 guy but we need a No1/No2 WR as of now. Greg Little will hopefully be able to fill one of those roles.

DB - We could use another corner and/or safety. Either one or both.

Still looks like a lot of needs, but right now I would say it is LB and OT in that order. The other positions we got one guy in place, just need to make sure to find another.

Courtney Upshaw from Bama with Atlanta pick, he is a damn beast also. He is almost 6'3" and he is 260, he would be sweet as our mlb. Alshon is a bad mofo too, and I would love to get him.

Remember boys and girls that at some point...hopefully....before the season starts there will be a "free agency" period where the Browns can pick up talent at these other various positions of need, like linebacker, maybe even WR.

Well yeah. I pointed that out with my last post as well. Without the FAs I think these are our needs. Unless we pick up some younger(ish) type "stud" a la Vincent Jackson or Sidney Rice or Tyson Clabo these will still be areas of need after the draft. Holmgren is a strong believer in building a team through the draft, and I agree. First of all we would really have to overpay and a lot of free agents are stop gap type players. Think Scott Fujita, while solid was never our answer at LB, nor should he ever be. Plus most players in FA are at least in their 4th 5th or 6th year. It is tough to find a really good young RT, RB, WR, QB, LB, CB, ok well any position. If they were that good teams wouldn't let them go, or if they were asking for a decent amount of money.

Archived