THE BROWNS BOARD

Will The Browns Trade For Kolb

Browns57

56 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Browns Trade For Kolb?

• Yes
    • No

The Browns have two first round picks in next year's draft and the price for Kolb is likely to be a first round pick. We could easily trade the pick we just got from Atlanta for Kolb. I think this is a definate possibility. Remember Heckert drafted Kolb and I am sure he knows just about everything there is to know about him. Also the talk was that the Browns would take a QB somewhere later in the draft but that didn't happen either. Maybe they are waiting to trade for Kolb?

dude, we are going with McCoy this year. He's taking the reins, he's healthy, he's teaching the offense the playbook... we aren't going to go get another QB, especially with the labor situation as it is.

If McCoy chokes this year, then next year we will draft a QB.

Can we STOP the talk of Colt failing & wish for him to be surrounded by others that will help him succeed? The kid has a lot of ability & now we are making a legitimate effort to put the pieces & systems in place to take advantage of his talents.

I would much rather use those 2 1st rounders next year to acquire TWO more solid pieces to this puzzle. The HELL with Kolb (who, if you check his career stats, ain't exactly a Hall of Famer!).

Mike

Can we STOP the talk of Colt failing & wish for him to be surrounded by others that will help him succeed? The kid has a lot of ability & now we are making a legitimate effort to put the pieces & systems in place to take advantage of his talents.

I would much rather use those 2 1st rounders next year to acquire TWO more solid pieces to this puzzle. The HELL with Kolb (who, if you check his career stats, ain't exactly a Hall of Famer!).

Mike

I don't really see anybody bashing McCoy here just discussing the fact that the Browns are one of the few teams who may be in the running for a qb. We do not know what the Browns really think of McCoy. I loved him the first few games but he scared me a little towards the end of the season when he went all testaverde with the picks all over the place. He was a rookie and he might develop into a star. I think everybody wants that. But more then that we want a winning team. And if Heckert believes Kolb gives him a better chance to win I think they jump into the mix. They can always cut one loose next year and get a pick back. And we are not going to finish in a spot to get luck next year so people can just stop with that crazy talk right now.

I don't really see anybody bashing McCoy here just discussing the fact that the Browns are one of the few teams who may be in the running for a qb. We do not know what the Browns really think of McCoy. I loved him the first few games but he scared me a little towards the end of the season when he went all testaverde with the picks all over the place. He was a rookie and he might develop into a star. I think everybody wants that. But more then that we want a winning team. And if Heckert believes Kolb gives him a better chance to win I think they jump into the mix. They can always cut one loose next year and get a pick back. And we are not going to finish in a spot to get luck next year so people can just stop with that crazy talk right now.

Perhaps you dont know that Colt played through an injury he accquired back in college...he said hes completely healed now...Give the kid his shot...Besides Kolb wants to start and would not be happy here...

If they trade for Kolb and then cut one loose next year we are at best getting a 6th round pick back. If they brig him and in make them do a QB competition, then the loser isn't going to be very highly regarded. It is a waste of a pick and Kolb isn't even worth a 1st, let alone the 2nd that the Phillies used on him in the first place.

And we are not going to finish in a spot to get luck next year so people can just stop with that crazy talk right now.

You realize that we have two first next year, right? That alone puts us in a position to go after Luck. It really will depend on who finishes with the #1. If it is Carolina, which is a great possibility, they will really want to trade out of the 1 hole. In all likelihood, we will have a 25-30 and a 7-17 to move up with. I'm not big on mortgaging your draft for a player but a player like Luck doesn't come along that often.

When the Browns did not draft Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Ryan Mallet, Kaepernick, or Andy Dalton in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft, especially in this labor dispute when its iffy on whether any free agency or player trading is going to happen in time for it to even matter, says huge things about what they think of McCoy.

When the Browns did not draft Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Ryan Mallet, Kaepernick, or Andy Dalton in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft, especially in this labor dispute when its iffy on whether any free agency or player trading is going to happen in time for it to even matter, says huge things about what they think of McCoy.

I think it says more about the those QBs than it does about McCoy. I think they were intending to see what they have in McCoy this year and none of the names you mentioned were obvious upgrades. Not too mention that their were a lot more pressing needs that needed to be filled moreso than QB. I hope McCoy works out and the Browns can use their picks next year in other areas but if he doesn't, don't be surprised if we go after Luck next year.

i totally get your reasoning but nowadays every pick you have in the draft is sooo important that we can't duplicate the same positional players every year in and out.....(hence detroit wr's every year for how long?)

kolb would come at too big a price and as most have stated here we need to see mccoy for a whole year with at least a half way decent OL in front of him.

i really was not happy with the pick at first (mccoy) but to see him start that game in pitt and play the way he did.......i think he's got a great chance to be 'the one'.

Constantly trading away draft picks is one reason the browns are the browns....break the cycle, change the mindset....u do not build thru FA, u build thru the draft. Its impossible to do if ur giving away high picks on gambles.

Seriously....this idea should never cross ur mind.

You realize that we have two first next year, right? That alone puts us in a position to go after Luck. It really will depend on who finishes with the #1. If it is Carolina, which is a great possibility, they will really want to trade out of the 1 hole. In all likelihood, we will have a 25-30 and a 7-17 to move up with. I'm not big on mortgaging your draft for a player but a player like Luck doesn't come along that often.

I posted this elsewhere a couple of times and I'll say it again here. The Browns would have to be drafting in the top three spots to even have a prayer (assuming he doesn't break an arm or leg in the meantime) of drafting Luck. Elsewise, you'd have to come up with a Ditka give away the entire draft to move up. Luck ain't worth it. Consult the many on line draft value charts if you don't believe me.

REPOST The other problem is the first overall pick has such a high point value- you're going to have to give away the ranch to get it. Here's what it would cost- if next year was this year. The Browns have their own pick #6, and Atlanta's #24. To move up to first overall, it will cost both those picks, plus our second and fourth round picks. AT LEAST. Still interested?

Plus if a qb needy team is sitting @ #1, (almost a certainty) they're not going to trade away the rights to Luck for even that.

This sounds like a fantastic idea. Let's spend multiple picks (including a first rounder) on an unproven guy who has never been in the Browns locker room. Let's not give a chance to the guy who we only spent a third round pick on, is already stepping up to be a team leader, has a good track record of winning, wants to be here, gels with the guys in the locker room, and did pretty well last year considering the circumstances.

This sounds like a fantastic idea. Let's spend multiple picks (including a first rounder) on an unproven guy who has never been in the Browns locker room. Let's not give a chance to the guy who we only spent a third round pick on, is already stepping up to be a team leader, has a good track record of winning, wants to be here, gels with the guys in the locker room, and did pretty well last year considering the circumstances.

He is going to get his chance and if he proves to be all that you think he is, we won't be shopping for a QB next year.

Constantly trading away draft picks is one reason the browns are the browns....break the cycle, change the mindset....u do not build thru FA, u build thru the draft. Its impossible to do if ur giving away high picks on gambles.

Seriously....this idea should never cross ur mind.

Constantly missing on draft picks is why the Browns are the Browns. It really doesn't matter if you have 20 picks or 2 if you can't evaluate talent. Also, you do build through FA as well as the draft.

If Holmgren and Heckert see him as the next Manning/Ryan/Rivers? Absolutely.

You might, but I can guarantee you Holmgren and Heckert won't. Realistically, the Browns won't be drafting high enough to have a legitimate shot of trading for him anyway & and any team other than the Panthers sitting at #1 isn't going to trade away the rights to Luck for TWO entire drafts.

Yeah, Luck is that good, and will command that high a trade value. The Patriots are where they are by accumulating future picks, not giving them away, and they rarely trade up in the first round.

Those that don't remember the Hershel Walker trade are condemned to repeat the same mistake.

You might, but I can guarantee you Holmgren and Heckert won't. Realistically, the Browns won't be drafting high enough to have a legitimate shot of trading for him anyway & and any team other than the Panthers sitting at #1 isn't going to trade away the rights to Luck for TWO entire drafts.

Yeah, Luck is that good, and will command that high a trade value. The Patriots are where they are by accumulating future picks, not giving them away, and they rarely trade up in the first round.

Those that don't remember the Hershel Walker trade are condemned to repeat the same mistake.

9/10 I agree with your sentiment of not mortgaging your draft for one player but there are always exceptions. The RB position not being one of them (ie. Walker, R.Williams).

You are also correct that we may not have enough ammo to move up but some of that depends on what others would have to offer as well. Here is to hoping that the Panthers get the #1 overall to at least give us better options.

Just like how you "guaranteed" the Bengals won't draft Green? ;)

Seriously, no one here is saying that we're gonna trade the farm for Luck; however, if McCoy does flop (which, there's still a chance) then we have a good hand to show. And if McCoy flops, we'll probably have a high draft pick.

And the Kolb to Browns rumors are dumb. We're riding McCoy this year, we live or die with him. Either way, I'm happy.

no.

stupid poll.

You are also correct that we may not have enough ammo to move up but some of that depends on what others would have to offer as well.

pretty sure they got the ammo...and then some. if they want Luck, is there another team that can match three 1st rd picks? two in 2011 and one in 2012?

may sound like a lot to give up but if McCoy ain't the future, not only would i be ok with it...i would applaud it.

Archived