THE BROWNS BOARD

My Take On The 2011 Brown's Draft

Canton Mike

First off, at least in my opinion, there were only 2 players who really separated themselves from the pack, Peterson & Green, then (possibly) Darius. I felt there was a pretty big dropoff of GAME PROVEN (more than a year) & healthy talent worthy of an early pick after them. Obviously, I felt the Brown's trade with Atlanta was wonderful.

Here's my take (just MY opinions!):

1) The addition of Taylor allows our DEs & LBs to REALLY get aggressive & also dramatically helps our run defense.

Impact?- Immediate & significant.

2) Sheard gives us quickness, strength, & aggressive play, exactly what we need on the outside.

3) Little is my favorite pick in this draft. He just may end up being the best WR taken (note that I said "end up"-he's not totally polished yet)

Impact?- Immediate & how significant will be determined by his learning curve. I DO believe he will be utilized in year one.

4) Cameron, if healthy, may be a faster TE than Moore with an EXTREMELY high vertical leap for his size.

Impact?- He's somewhat of a project, but IMHO he is Watson's successor.

5) Marecic is not JUST a blocker...he can catch & is a bulldozer.

Impact? Immediate as an ST player, blocker, & he may be able to spell Hillis..THAT is a positive.

6) Skrine will be a ST player & eventual nickel back. In videos, I saw him "drop" (not forced) a couple balls during returns & also play somewhat inconsistently. Constant focus will need to be coached "up" but his speed is a definite PLUS. Could be extremely valuable, but I see a lot of "ifs" here.

Impact-He could go either way....boom or bust.

7) Pinkston is a guy I see getting playing time pretty early in his career on the right side & also serving as a backup to Thomas. I also like this pick.

Impact- Early on the right side & solid for a long time.

8) Hagg is also a nice pickup as he will probably not start immediately, but has progressed every year. I like that growth pattern.

Impact- Solid as a backup & may surprise, ESPECIALLY if we lose Elam.

What I REALLY like about this draft in the later rounds is that Heckert & co (unlike previous draft "gurus" here) didn't go looking for "fill dirt", but actually put thought & research into it looking for some diamonds in the rough with huge upsides. With folks like this running things, the Brown's future looks pretty bright. Granted, I'm viewing this through a Fan's rose colored glasses & some may fail miserably, but I like their thinking. We may also see some vets rise & fall with the new systems being implemented.

Mike

Agreed the first 5 picks were all picked as starters (exception Cameron who has LOADS OF POTENTIAL). Skrine has all the speed in the world, definitely one of the players that if they can't catch the ball and be WR they are CB. could be solid if developed. Not sure how Pinkston lasted till then looking at his info. 2 time All-Big East LT, second team all-American as a Junior according to Rivals.com. Played as a DT Freshman year, so I am assuming he still has a lot of room to grow as a RT/RG/LG. I think his size was scaring people away, at 6-3 not a typical RT size, that's why I feel he will be moved to guard and be a backup RT. Hagg could be solid, as you said he has progressed yearly, and an All-Big12 Safety last year. Not sure how he lasted either but I think I am going to be glad he did.

First off, at least in my opinion, there were only 2 players who really separated themselves from the pack, Peterson & Green, then (possibly) Darius. I felt there was a pretty big dropoff of GAME PROVEN (more than a year) & healthy talent worthy of an early pick after them. Obviously, I felt the Brown's trade with Atlanta was wonderful.

Here's my take (just MY opinions!):

1) The addition of Taylor allows our DEs & LBs to REALLY get aggressive & also dramatically helps our run defense.

2) Sheard gives us quickness, strength, & aggressive play, exactly what we need on the outside.

3) Little is my favorite pick in this draft. He just may end up being the best WR taken (note that I said "end up"-he's not totally polished yet)

Impact?- Immediate & how significant will be determined by his learning curve. I DO believe he will be utilized in year one.

4) Cameron, if healthy, may be a faster TE than Moore with an EXTREMELY high vertical leap for his size.

Impact?- He's somewhat of a project, but IMHO he is Watson's successor.

5) Marecic is not JUST a blocker...he can catch & is a bulldozer.

Impact? Immediate as an ST player, blocker, & he may be able to spell Hillis..THAT is a positive.

6) Skrine will be a ST player & eventual nickel back. In videos, I saw him "drop" (not forced) a couple balls during returns & also play somewhat inconsistently. Constant focus will need to be coached "up" but his speed is a definite PLUS. Could be extremely valuable, but I see a lot of "ifs" here.

Impact-He could go either way....boom or bust.

7) Pinkston is a guy I see getting playing time pretty early in his career on the right side & also serving as a backup to Thomas. I also like this pick.

Impact- Early on the right side & solid for a long time.

8) Hagg is also a nice pickup as he will probably not start immediately, but has progressed every year. I like that growth pattern.

Impact- Solid as a backup & may surprise, ESPECIALLY if we lose Elam.

What I REALLY like about this draft in the later rounds is that Heckert & co (unlike previous draft "gurus" here) didn't go looking for "fill dirt", but actually put thought & research into it looking for some diamonds in the rough with huge upsides. With folks like this running things, the Brown's future looks pretty bright. Granted, I'm viewing this through a Fan's rose colored glasses & some may fail miserably, but I like their thinking. We may also see some vets rise & fall with the new systems being implemented.

Mike

I really agree with you on most. Cameron is fast that Moore any time of the day and has a much better vertical (Moore jumped something like 22-25 inches while Cameron jumped a 37) and there hands are about even with probably Cameron having the edge in that category too. I only saw Skrine drop one ball on a return and it was the blocked kick return, other tahn that I hadn't see him fumble on a return (and I don't think returning is his strong suit anyway, a nice back up option though) and he actually had 4 different DB coaches in 4 years meaning that once he gets here he could really develop into a dime/nickel guy, if not the eventual #2 CB. Hagg constantly progressed through all 4 years at Nebraska and was such an important piece in their defense that he was named team MVP over Prince. I really think all of our picks our solid. Taylor might not be flashy and Sheard might not produce alot of pro bowls (even though I expect him to have some) but all of the picks are solid starts and are set to make immediate impacts on this team.

Anyone think our line looks like...

Thomas, Lauvao/Pinkston, Mack, Lauvao/Pinkston/Womack, Pashos/Womack/Pinkston in some combination? With Yates as a serviceable backup at all spots... I honestly think Steinbach is gone, if not this year, next.

Although the Walsh/Holmgren version of the WCO actually likes smaller faster linemen, so Steinbach might stick around for awhile. If so, then Lauvao, Pinkston, Womack, Yates and Pashos are fighting over only two spots.

Anyone think our line looks like...

Thomas, Lauvao/Pinkston, Mack, Lauvao/Pinkston/Womack, Pashos/Womack/Pinkston in some combination? With Yates as a serviceable backup at all spots... I honestly think Steinbach is gone, if not this year, next.

Although the Walsh/Holmgren version of the WCO actually likes smaller faster linemen, so Steinbach might stick around for awhile. If so, then Lauvao, Pinkston, Womack, Yates and Pashos are fighting over only two spots.

Stienbach isn't going anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns are the team he retires with. He is getting up there in age (what is he 32) but he is still a really good lineman (especially for his size) and I think even if Mangini was still coach Steinbach would still be here.

Archived