THE BROWNS BOARD

Post Draft Fa Thread

jnuh

Now that the draft has come and gone lets hear what everyone wants to see us do via free agency ....

I would love to see any of the following

Mathias Kiwanuka (NYG)- we need another DE. This kid has been good over his first few years in the league, and I think he could get better if he can stay healthy. He shouldn't demand a crazy amount of money and could really give us some bang for our buck.

Michael Bush (OAK) - I am probably going to get flamed for this .... we NEED a legit second running back to spell Hillis and Hardesty could very well be that. Lets be real though Hardesty seems to have injury problems that carried over from his college days to his pro days and Bush could have us prepared for the worst. Plus can you ever really have to many good backs? Bush is a powerful runner and if he spells Hardesty the O would barely skip a beat. Again this kid gives us some good bang for our buck.

Nnamdi Asomugha (OAK) - We would have to break the bank for him. Could imagine how sick our secondary would be with him playing opposite Haden ... If Wright could fall back to form of 2 yrs ago (if we resign him) he would make a really good nickel back and Sheldon would be a beast of a dime back/ back up free safety.

Logan Mankins (NE) - This is a long shot because he would cost some nice coin and I am hoping that coin goes to Nnamdi. Mantkins would sure up the interior line for sure though and we could never have to many good lineman.

Vernon Gholston (NYJ) - Another one I am going to get flamed for (I am not a OSU homer ... I can care less about the buckeyes) I feel like he has always been asked to play out of position with the JETS. Lets sign him on the real cheap and put him where he belongs. Worst case scenario is he is a bum and we cut him ... I think he has some upside though and if putting him back in his original position works we get a good reserve/spot starter with some nice upside.

I would also like to see us add another WR ... but there are a few I like so I won't get into them.

I also want to see us retain Abe Elam, Evan Moore, Dqwell Jackson, E. Wright, and Billy Yates.

Now that the draft has come and gone lets hear what everyone wants to see us do via free agency ....

I would love to see any of the following

Mathias Kiwanuka (NYG)- we need another DE. This kid has been good over his first few years in the league, and I think he could get better if he can stay healthy. He shouldn't demand a crazy amount of money and could really give us some bang for our buck.

Michael Bush (OAK) - I am probably going to get flamed for this .... we NEED a legit second running back to spell Hillis and Hardesty could very well be that. Lets be real though Hardesty seems to have injury problems that carried over from his college days to his pro days and Bush could have us prepared for the worst. Plus can you ever really have to many good backs? Bush is a powerful runner and if he spells Hardesty the O would barely skip a beat. Again this kid gives us some good bang for our buck.

Nnamdi Asomugha (OAK) - We would have to break the bank for him. Could imagine how sick our secondary would be with him playing opposite Haden ... If Wright could fall back to form of 2 yrs ago (if we resign him) he would make a really good nickel back and Sheldon would be a beast of a dime back/ back up free safety.

Logan Mankins (NE) - This is a long shot because he would cost some nice coin and I am hoping that coin goes to Nnamdi. Mantkins would sure up the interior line for sure though and we could never have to many good lineman.

Vernon Gholston (NYJ) - Another one I am going to get flamed for (I am not a OSU homer ... I can care less about the buckeyes) I feel like he has always been asked to play out of position with the JETS. Lets sign him on the real cheap and put him where he belongs. Worst case scenario is he is a bum and we cut him ... I think he has some upside though and if putting him back in his original position works we get a good reserve/spot starter with some nice upside.

I would also like to see us add another WR ... but there are a few I like so I won't get into them.

I also want to see us retain Abe Elam, Evan Moore, Dqwell Jackson, E. Wright, and Billy Yates.

I'll start off by saying that I agree with all the people you want us to resign. The big money guy I want us to go after is Asomugha. We could get away with out signing him for sure, maybe picking up a lesser CB in FA who can start, but we actually have alot of cap room now that Rodgers was cut and Williams has been gone for and Brady is getting paid by Denver. The problem would be would he come here, and I don't think he would. I think we have a better shot at Mankins and signing a lesser CB (even a FA CB from an AFCN team). I think bring in Gholston would be a good idea. Not only could be pay him very little, but he would be moved back to the position that he is most comfortable in and would be playing in Ohio again which could be a good mental boost. You always bring in a bunch of guys to training camp anyway and then cut players as camp progresses. If he isn't good enough to be on the team then he's gone and its over. As for RB I would actually like to see us sign one of the RB's from the Dolphins, who ever they don't resign. They are are not the quick scat backs like alot of people want, but they are legit power options with hands which we still need behind Hillis since Hardesty is a question mark at this point. I would prefer Brown to be the one, but Williams would do good as well, and both a used to splitting time playing for a sub par team so nothing would really be new for them.

I'll start off by saying that I agree with all the people you want us to resign. The big money guy I want us to go after is Asomugha. We could get away with out signing him for sure, maybe picking up a lesser CB in FA who can start, but we actually have alot of cap room now that Rodgers was cut and Williams has been gone for and Brady is getting paid by Denver. The problem would be would he come here, and I don't think he would. I think we have a better shot at Mankins and signing a lesser CB (even a FA CB from an AFCN team). I think bring in Gholston would be a good idea. Not only could be pay him very little, but he would be moved back to the position that he is most comfortable in and would be playing in Ohio again which could be a good mental boost. You always bring in a bunch of guys to training camp anyway and then cut players as camp progresses. If he isn't good enough to be on the team then he's gone and its over. As for RB I would actually like to see us sign one of the RB's from the Dolphins, who ever they don't resign. They are are not the quick scat backs like alot of people want, but they are legit power options with hands which we still need behind Hillis since Hardesty is a question mark at this point. I would prefer Brown to be the one, but Williams would do good as well, and both a used to splitting time playing for a sub par team so nothing would really be new for them.

Good look on pinning this.

I also think WIlliams and Brown would be good options. The reason I went with Bush is he is a little Younger then Brown, and way younger the Williams. I also think at this stage Bush has a higher ceiling. I definitly want to see another defensive back added even if we retain Wright.

Well I think the reason you go after Brown and Williams is because you are not exactly looking for your 3rd RB to be with the team for the next 5 years. They will more than likely try to bring in one of the scat back guys that didn't get drafted because those are the only 3rd string RB types that you want around for an extended period of time because they do contribute quite a bit. If they don't go that route then they are going to want a guy who can back up Hillis for the next 2ish years in case Hardesty keeps with his case of "OH GOD MY xxxxING KNEE!".

Well I think the reason you go after Brown and Williams is because you are not exactly looking for your 3rd RB to be with the team for the next 5 years. They will more than likely try to bring in one of the scat back guys that didn't get drafted because those are the only 3rd string RB types that you want around for an extended period of time because they do contribute quite a bit. If they don't go that route then they are going to want a guy who can back up Hillis for the next 2ish years in case Hardesty keeps with his case of "OH GOD MY xxxxING KNEE!".

I agree with that 100%. I think all 3 of those guys would be perfect as a back up for the next 2 years. Another guy who could fill that role who I think is a free agent, but am not sure 100% about is Tim Hightower.

As far as scat back/third down back kind of a guy we really don't have that at all now and bringing in an undrafted rookie free agent and expecting him to contribute might be unrealistic. I also don't personally see the need for that to much because Hillis does catch the ball so well and can pick up up a blitz so him being in on third down isn't a problem. The only benefit would be that a scat back would obviously keep a defense on there toes knowing that a quick shifty back could take it to the house at any time. (but again finding an undrafted FA like that is unrealistic.) If the front office felt we needed a scat back I think Sproles is the one to target.

The scatback runner I wanted them to take was Taiwan Jones, but he was picked up in the 5th or 6th round by somebody.

The scatback runner I wanted them to take was Taiwan Jones, but he was picked up in the 5th or 6th round by somebody.

I was hoping for Dion Lewis and The Eagles grabbed him in the 5th....God damn Eagles also took Casey Matthews as well

Good look on pinning this.

I also think WIlliams and Brown would be good options. The reason I went with Bush is he is a little Younger then Brown, and way younger the Williams. I also think at this stage Bush has a higher ceiling. I definitly want to see another defensive back added even if we retain Wright.

Raiders | Michael Bush receives highest tender

Fri, 04 Mar 2011 16:37:05 -0800

The Oakland Raiders have placed a first-round and third-round tender offer on impending free-agent RB Michael Bush, a source told Jerry McDonald, of ANG Newspapers.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/13565/NFL/Michael-Bush#ixzz1Mf7N0AMh

Raiders | Michael Bush receives highest tender

Fri, 04 Mar 2011 16:37:05 -0800

The Oakland Raiders have placed a first-round and third-round tender offer on impending free-agent RB Michael Bush, a source told Jerry McDonald, of ANG Newspapers.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/13565/NFL/Michael-Bush#ixzz1Mf7N0AMh

As much as I like Bush he is definitly not worth that tender. Hopefully we can pick up another back.

• 2 weeks later...

Darren Sproles wouldnt be a bad option if he came with the right price, he be the perfect scat back we need in are offense

Id love Nnamdi as well but he'll probaly go to a higher bidder or more of a SB contender Probaly the Ravens knowing are luck.

Jonathan Joseph wouldnt be a bad option though id love for us to steal him away from the Bungles..

And yes im all for bringing in Ghoulston just to see him he can at least play with his hand in the ground and let him do what he was suppossed to do when he was drafted,some players just are meant to be stood up and drop back.

He needs a change of place and where else then Cleveland and best off we could get him for cheap so if he sucks just Release him and it wouldnt hurt us much..

Id like to make a play for Eric Weddle and if we couldnt land him i would wanna see us make a play for Michael Huff or another saftey.

I honestly think if we can sign a CB and DL that can start and play well (not pro bowl level, but a shade under that level) we could have a very good defense. I also can not stress enough how badly I want to see us roll the dice on Gholston. I just have a gut feeling it will be a good gamble.

• 1 month later...

Some places we can use some help:

RB: Le'Ron McClain - Two fold for getting him...gets him away from Baltimore...and gives us another power back in the event that either of our starting FB/HB gets injured.

Derrick Ward (Houston) Played well with limited carries (6.3 average for 50 carries.) He's a good 3rd down back (without a lot of mileage on his legs) who shouldn't command a lot of money.

WR: I don't want to break the bank here...so maybe

Malcolm Floyd (6'5 225lbs WR from San Diego) to bring a solid big prospect. At 30, he shouldn't command too much money around the league...and he could be intrigued by playing as a #1 with a Browns team that just might have some serious upside coming.

Steve Smith (Giants) would be another guy to take a flyer on.

OT: Tyson Clabo (Falcons) Would LOVE to see us fix the right side of our offensive line...and I think that if we can manage to pull him away from the Falcons...we'd be in a great position to contend for the AFCN next year.

Marshal Yanda (Baltimore) can play G/T...which we can use either one on the right side.

DE: Charles Johnson (Panthers) I think that he'd be a great addition to play the weak side for a Browns front line that looks to be on the up and up.

Jason Babin (Panthers) Another guy that could very well improve our DL play. Obviously I don't think it'd be smart to sign both, but getting one would help out tremendously.

Ray Edwards - He's a guy you line up strong side and let him work both the run and pass defense. Maybe getting him allows you start Mitchell on the weakside and let Sheard back up both guys.

LB: Chad Greenway - Our starters (when healthy) form a pretty good trio...but health is the big question. Greenway would be an improvement over any of them.

Paul Poslunzy and Stephen Tulloch would also be nice additions, but I just don't see us signing them away from their current teams.

CB: Carlos Rogers (Washington) He won't command near as much money as Jonathan Joseph, Namdi or even Ike Taylor, but he's a very solid CB. Making him our #2 could allow Sheldon Brown to move to the FS spot and alleviate our concerns there. Especially if Eric Wright can return to form from a few years ago as a NB.

FS: Eric Weddle - Young and studly. Don't think we pull him away from SD...but he'd be a dream pairing with TJ Ward. Michael Huff (Oakland) had improved pass coverage skills last year (his first year where he actually looked serviceable.) He's got the athleticism to play like Ed Reed...but hasn't put those tools together (and probably won't ever be nearly that good.) Still, I don't need a bunch of pick-6's to be happy, just don't want to see Deep-6's given up.

Some places we can use some help:

RB: Le'Ron McClain - Two fold for getting him...gets him away from Baltimore...and gives us another power back in the event that either of our starting FB/HB gets injured.

Derrick Ward (Houston) Played well with limited carries (6.3 average for 50 carries.) He's a good 3rd down back (without a lot of mileage on his legs) who shouldn't command a lot of money.

WR: I don't want to break the bank here...so maybe

Malcolm Floyd (6'5 225lbs WR from San Diego) to bring a solid big prospect. At 30, he shouldn't command too much money around the league...and he could be intrigued by playing as a #1 with a Browns team that just might have some serious upside coming.

Steve Smith (Giants) would be another guy to take a flyer on.

OT: Tyson Clabo (Falcons) Would LOVE to see us fix the right side of our offensive line...and I think that if we can manage to pull him away from the Falcons...we'd be in a great position to contend for the AFCN next year.

Marshal Yanda (Baltimore) can play G/T...which we can use either one on the right side.

DE: Charles Johnson (Panthers) I think that he'd be a great addition to play the weak side for a Browns front line that looks to be on the up and up.

Jason Babin (Panthers) Another guy that could very well improve our DL play. Obviously I don't think it'd be smart to sign both, but getting one would help out tremendously.

Ray Edwards - He's a guy you line up strong side and let him work both the run and pass defense. Maybe getting him allows you start Mitchell on the weakside and let Sheard back up both guys.

LB: Chad Greenway - Our starters (when healthy) form a pretty good trio...but health is the big question. Greenway would be an improvement over any of them.

Paul Poslunzy and Stephen Tulloch would also be nice additions, but I just don't see us signing them away from their current teams.

CB: Carlos Rogers (Washington) He won't command near as much money as Jonathan Joseph, Namdi or even Ike Taylor, but he's a very solid CB. Making him our #2 could allow Sheldon Brown to move to the FS spot and alleviate our concerns there. Especially if Eric Wright can return to form from a few years ago as a NB.

FS: Eric Weddle - Young and studly. Don't think we pull him away from SD...but he'd be a dream pairing with TJ Ward. Michael Huff (Oakland) had improved pass coverage skills last year (his first year where he actually looked serviceable.) He's got the athleticism to play like Ed Reed...but hasn't put those tools together (and probably won't ever be nearly that good.) Still, I don't need a bunch of pick-6's to be happy, just don't want to see Deep-6's given up.

I don't know if anyone saw the sporting news a couple weeks back ... They did an article about a bunch of the better free agents and w where they predicted they were going. They had the Browns grabbing Mark Clayton (reuniting him with Shurmer) Barret Rudd and Chris Spencer.

If Spencer can slide over from center to right guard that could be a very interesting move. Personally I like Yates a lot if we can retain him I would love to see what he can do over a full year. I also think there is a ton of upside with the tackle we drafted late. I would like to see a guy come in via free agency to sure up the right side of the line. I would kind of prefer to see a legit tackle come in then a center trying to play guard (although he can probably adjust just fine)I just feel with Yates and Pinkston one of them can fill in at guard and be at the very least servicible.

As far as Rudd and Clayton ... I would pass on Clayton and I actually kind of like Clayton. Rudd could definitly be a good player. I just kind of have a good feeling about our backers. I would really like us to address out defensive line, defensive backs (could never have to many good ones) and our back up running back needs to be solidified as I do not trust Montario.

I would like a younger QB to come in if we cut Delhomme, but not a real term long project like a Jarrett Brown. I would like to see either a Matt Moore or Josh Johnson just in case. I believe in Colt, but he is young and could be a bust or get hurt. JJ and Moore wouldn't threaten to an extent that it would stir up a QB controversy ... but they could come in and have a ton of upside. I know people love Seneca, but he is just a good back up. Nothing special and nothing more. Those guys are young enough to step in and potentially be a late bloomer type of QB that takes a little while for it to click (IE Gannon, Fitzpatrick, Trent Green, or Kyle Orton) I also kind of like Gradkowski ... we should have kept him back in the day. I do feel like them going after a QB is unrealistic, but I wouldn't hate a little insurance policy on the season with a little bit of upside that could be a long term solution.

Back up running back wise - I actually wouldn't hate McClain. I would prefer going the route of Michael Bush if he wasn't tendered and becomes unrestricted or even Ronnie Brown or Caddy on a very short term deal for the right price (preferably Ronnie Brown)

If we do bring in a vet WR I would love to see Danny Amendola. I dont know if he will be restricted or unrestricted. I wouldn't touch him if we had to give up anything significant (if he is a RFA)He is a fun kid to watch and could be a steal. He is also an overachiever and that could be infectious in the locker room.

RB - Kevin Jones from DET would be great if he stayed healthy, or Brandon Jackson from GB, and of course i'd like Sproles

DE- Edwards, Kiwanuka, or Johnson and Gholston

S- Mikell from PHI or Weddle from SD

I don't see any other positions where we'll get any big-name FAs but I do see us getting more depth at OLine, DT, LB, and possibly CB.

And...

I will almost guarantee that IF we take a WR in FA, other than UDFAs, the only one we will take is Mark Clayton due to his success last yr in Shurmur's system b4 his injuries

Claytons success might be more attributed to his great raport with Sam Bradford then Shurmers system. Before Bradford and Clayton were even on the Rams the would workout together in the offseason at Oklahoma (CLayton was an alumni while Bradford was there) and they developed a tight friendship. I had even heard that Bradford asked the Rams to go after him.

Archived