THE BROWNS BOARD

The Bcs

How would you design it?

I'd say keep the Bowl game structure (negates the revenue complaints from the schools/NCAA) but the teams that finish in the final four play it out in a bracket: #1 v #4, #2 v #3, both neutral sites, then winner vs. winner in the Championship game.

The semifinal games start the bowl season. The national title game ends it. All the other bowl games are played in between.

How would you design it?

I'd say keep the Bowl game structure (negates the revenue complaints from the schools/NCAA) but the teams that finish in the final four play it out in a bracket: #1 v #4, #2 v #3, both neutral sites, then winner vs. winner in the Championship game.

The semifinal games start the bowl season. The national title game ends it. All the other bowl games are played in between.

That sounds about right. My guess would be that pressure to expand to include more teams would build relatively rapidly. I could see 4 mega-conferences emerging, with auto bids for each champion (which would probably have won a conference final 4 to get the bid), and then 2 wild cards which could be from the big conferences or not. 2 teams get byes and we get 3 rounds of playoffs. Sounds fantastic.

Using the existing bowls and adding 1 more to BCS status....maybe the outback bowl as an example.

Do it the way it is done now, then add 1 game as the championship. Just rotate that game on a yearly basis between the 5.

So yes Rose Bowl, that means if you want to be a part of the big game, once every 5 years you'll have to your parade one day and your game the other.

I think you need more of a playoff system than simply adding another BCS bowl game. You need to find a way to keep the existing bowl system, but separating out the top teams who'll play in the bracket. I don't think it should be more than 4-8 teams. And I'd say you should do it by conference champions, like Tupa suggests, but in the past few years that wouldn't give you the best bracket. You'd have a team like Alabama playing Cincinnati or UConn, who may not have beaten anyone else. I'd rather use the BCS formula, or something like it, to get the real top teams into the dance, even if it meant 3 teams from the SEC, Oregon, Texas, and Ohio State, for example.

I think you need more of a playoff system than simply adding another BCS bowl game. You need to find a way to keep the existing bowl system, but separating out the top teams who'll play in the bracket. I don't think it should be more than 4-8 teams. And I'd say you should do it by conference champions, like Tupa suggests, but in the past few years that wouldn't give you the best bracket. You'd have a team like Alabama playing Cincinnati or UConn, who may not have beaten anyone else. I'd rather use the BCS formula, or something like it, to get the real top teams into the dance, even if it meant 3 teams from the SEC, Oregon, Texas, and Ohio State, for example.

By giving autobids to conference champs, conference championships become the first round of the playoffs. I think that could work. And if not, we just add a couple at large bids to the mix.

Yeah, I wouldn't discount the conference championship games. It might not be a bad way to go. But if you take last season, my version would have featured a Auburn-Stanford and Oregon-TCU semifinal to start the bowl season. A team like Wisconsin would lose out in that scenario, but you're going to have to leave some team off no matter what you do.

But I think as soon as you make it six (with byes) eight you're asking the top two teams to play for three extra games. That might be a bit much. This way you get one game in mid-December, then bowl season, then the national championship in mid-January.

Archived