THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Colt Ii

admin

CLEVELAND -- Browns players are beginning their second player-organized "minicamp'' today at Baldwin-Wallace College in Berea, a league source told The Plain Dealer.

The first one, organized by quarterback Colt McCoy, was last month at the University of Texas, McCoy's alma mater. The camps are designed to prepare the players for the season despite the NFL lockout.

McCoy told The Plain Dealer last week that a second camp was coming soon, but that he wanted to keep the date and location quiet. The first one lasted about three days.

About a dozen offensive players attended "Camp Colt'' in Austin, and McCoy said he focused mainly on teaching the players the fundamentals of the Browns new West Coast offense. He received a playbook from the Browns several months ago and is well-versed in the new scheme.

The initial camp included receivers Brian Robiskie, Mohamed Massaquoi, Josh Cribbs, Jordan Norwood, running back Peyton Hillis and tight end Evan Moore.

McCoy said he contacted the Browns draft picks and invited them to the second camp. He said they were expected to attend, including receiver Greg Little and tight end Jordan Cameron. He said fullback Owen Marecic might not be able to come because he's still in classes at Stanford.

The first session included workouts, meetings, position drills and passing situations. The players also bonded in other ways, dining together and visiting a ranch.

The current camp, which is a players-only session, will probably also last about three days. Mohamed Massaquoi tweeted Monday that he was back in town, but didn't mention the camp.

That kind of thing is only possible when you draft the same kind of mentality towards football, and team work, and work ethic.

Talent doesn't matter if ya don't have the drive to work at it. It's fun knowing that these guys love football like this, and it's really great

to see this Camp Colt II thing going on, especially with the draftees on offense. I'll have to get a group together, and go watch them in

training camp. Haven't done that in many years.

I guess the question is: Is this really Colt himself taking the initiative to get all this together? I certainly would like to think so. I have no reason to think otherwise, but the question has to be asked if there is any "coaches" involvement in this that could get the Browns in trouble.....not that I care if the Browns get a fine for "improper contact" during the lockout. After all, it is just Randy Lerner's money, not mine or yours.

Also, it was very smart for Colt to have it at B-W. I don't know their facilities available, but I assume they are reasonably adequate.....and, how many blocks away from the Browns training facility is B-W? Who is to know what slips out the back door, in terms of playbooks or a few photocopies or whatever.

While its not like bonding in berea or getting on the same wavelength with the new coaches i still heavily dig the fact that the guys that are participating in these player sponsored camps love the game and the team enough to try and get all the edge they can get on the new offensive system under their current deprived circumstances..

Daniel Colt McCoy has unquestionable leadership ability and im really pulling for this kid to be the full metal jacket field general this team so desperately needs, however i am comfortable with this regime and their withstanding judgement and evaluation process which will leave few if any questions as to rather colt is or can be the guy..

Damn i cant wait for this craptastic lockout and faceoff to end as it is hurting the browns considerably more than most clubs..

When was the last time we had a QB, or any member of the Browns that would take it upon themselves to organize off season work outs for himself and the team? I can not remember anyone up to this point in the modern Browns era.

There hasn't really been a reason in the past for the players to organize workouts .... the team organizes plenty for them to attend in a normal year. Also its great that Colt is doing this, but put it in perpescitive ... a player on almost (if not every) team has stepped up and organized OTA's.

When was the last time we had a QB, or any member of the Browns that would take it upon themselves to organize off season work outs for himself and the team? I can not remember anyone up to this point in the modern Browns era.

Welllll none when you consider this is the first lock out (not a strike like back in the late 80's) which would actually cause a player to have to organize the teams work outs instead of having the coaches do it. But I get your point and I fully agree.

I guess the question is: Is this really Colt himself taking the initiative to get all this together? I certainly would like to think so. I have no reason to think otherwise, but the question has to be asked if there is any "coaches" involvement in this that could get the Browns in trouble.....not that I care if the Browns get a fine for "improper contact" during the lockout. After all, it is just Randy Lerner's money, not mine or yours.

Also, it was very smart for Colt to have it at B-W. I don't know their facilities available, but I assume they are reasonably adequate.....and, how many blocks away from the Browns training facility is B-W? Who is to know what slips out the back door, in terms of playbooks or a few photocopies or whatever.

I honestly think the reason they are having the camp at B-W is because if my memory serves me correctly they were originally supposed to have it at Kent State. Maybe the players got ahead of themselves and cancelled their reservation for the use of Kents fields but I do remember Cribbs saying he had everything set up with Kent State to not only practice on their fields and use their athletic team work out centers, but to actually stay in the dorms like a legit football camp. Maybe with all the players already have travel arrangement to come to NE Ohio this weekend they found the next best thing to go to.

Welllll none when you consider this is the first lock out (not a strike like back in the late 80's) which would actually cause a player to have to organize the teams work outs instead of having the coaches do it. But I get your point and I fully agree.

I honestly think the reason they are having the camp at B-W is because if my memory serves me correctly they were originally supposed to have it at Kent State. Maybe the players got ahead of themselves and cancelled their reservation for the use of Kents fields but I do remember Cribbs saying he had everything set up with Kent State to not only practice on their fields and use their athletic team work out centers, but to actually stay in the dorms like a legit football camp. Maybe with all the players already have travel arrangement to come to NE Ohio this weekend they found the next best thing to go to.

Maybe they realized Kent State is a dump and if they wanted real football facilities they should have gone to Akron

My simple response is..."Hats off to Colt & those who are joining him". How many players have we had in recent years taking this type initiative? Folks, we are experiencing the formulation of a TEAM!!!......'Bout time, isn't it?

I can't wait 'till the playing begins.

Mike

When I want to go somewhere for Soccor, I think Akron. Last place I think about for football is Akron.

Actually, Akron should be the first place you think about for football. Akron WAS first in football:

The very first NFL Champions were none other than the Akron Pros!!

I'm referring to facilities. You should think of Akron, for any sport. They are the best in Ohio, if not some of the best in the country...

The Princeton Review ranks these as the 20 best Athletic facilities in the country:

1. Maryland

2. Wabash College

3. Ga. Tech

4. Penn St.

5. Texas A&M

6. Alabama

7. Missouri

8. Ohio State

9. Georgia

10. Loyola, Maryland

11. West Virginia

12. Florida

13. Kenyon College

14. Alabama-Birmingham

15. Richmond

16. Lafeyette

17. South Carolina

18. Middlebury

19. TCU

20. Boston U.

I gotta say, I really hope Colt plays as good as he leads. He has all of the leadership qualities we could ever ask for in a QB. I hope that he truly is fully healed and ready for a breakout sophmore season!

For this young QB to display his leadership skills like this is got to be a great feeling for the future. I hope the OL can gell enough to protect him. He is getting more weapons around him so the sky is the limit for his chance to the take the Browns to greatness.

Archived