THE BROWNS BOARD

Old And New Trivia

The Gipper

Here is some trivia. Some old stuff, some new stuff from the recent NFL season and the like:

1. The Browns first round draft pick is from Baylor. Baylor has produced only 1 Pro Football Hall of Famer in history. Name him.

2. The Browns second pick, Jaball Sheard, is from Pitt. Pitt has produced 6 PFHOFers in its history. Name at least 4 of them.

3. What QB threw the most TD passes in the 2010 season?

Which one threw the most interceptions?

(hint: not the same person)

4. What was the name of the Pittsburg franchise in the NBA that played in the league's inaugural season in 1947?

5. What was the name of the Cleveland franchise of the NBA that played in the league's inaugural season in 1947?

6. What were the original names of the following MLB franchises in the year they were formed:

A. New York Yankees

B. Baltimore Orioles

C. Milwaukee Brewers

D. Chicago Cubs

E. Atlanta Braves

7. Peyton Manning is in 3rd place in the following career statistics: Completions, Yards, TD passes. Brett Favre is in first place in each of those categories. Who is in second place?

8. Which 2011 NFL division winning team was outscored for the season by nearly 100 points?

9. Which current NFL team began its existance by being named after a corn starch company?

10. Per Pro-football-reference, which 3 players scored the most Fantasy Football points in the 2010 season.

(note, I am not a fantasy football follower. I know there are a number of different fantasy football methods of keeping score. I am going by just this one that I researched.)

Bonus: No NFL or AFL team has folded since 1952. However, after each of the 1950, 1951, and 1952 an NFL franchise folded. Name these 3 teams.

Here is some trivia. Some old stuff, some new stuff from the recent NFL season and the like:

1. The Browns first round draft pick is from Baylor. Baylor has produced only 1 Pro Football Hall of Famer in history. Name him.

Mike Singletary

2. The Browns second pick, Jaball Sheard, is from Pitt. Pitt has produced 6 PFHOFers in its history. Name at least 4 of them.

Marino, Dorsett,Ditka drawing a blank...

Tom Brady TDs

Drew Brees Ints

4. What was the name of the Pittsburg franchise in the NBA that played in the league's inaugural season in 1947?

Pipers

5. What was the name of the Cleveland franchise of the NBA that played in the league's inaugural season in 1947?

Rebels

6. What were the original names of the following MLB franchises in the year they were formed:

A. New York Yankees Highlanders

B. Baltimore Orioles St. Louis Browns

C. Milwaukee Brewers Seattle Pilots

D. Chicago Cubs

E. Atlanta Braves Milwaukee Braves, Boston Braves

7. Peyton Manning is in 3rd place in the following career statistics: Completions, Yards, TD passes. Brett Favre is in first place in each of those categories. Who is in second place?

Dan Marino

8. Which 2011 NFL division winning team was outscored for the season by nearly 100 points?

Seattle Seahawks

9. Which current NFL team began its existance by being named after a corn starch company?

Chicago Bears/Decatur Staleys

10. Per Pro-football-reference, which 3 players scored the most Fantasy Football points in the 2010 season.

(note, I am not a fantasy football follower. I know there are a number of different fantasy football methods of keeping score. I am going by just this one that I researched.)

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Jamaal Charles KC

Bonus: No NFL or AFL team has folded since 1952. However, after each of the 1950, 1951, and 1952 an NFL franchise folded. Name these 3 teams.

A. New York Yankees New York Highlanders

B. Baltimore Orioles-Baltimore Orioles

C. Milwaukee Brewers-Milwaukee Brewers

D. Chicago Cubs-Chicago Orphans

E. Atlanta Braves-Boston Braves

Mike Singletary

Check

Those three are right, but there are three others.

Tom Brady TDs Check

Drew Brees Ints NO

Pipers No, the Pipers were their entry in the ABA in the late 60s

Rebels Check

A. New York Yankees Highlanders

B. Baltimore Orioles St. Louis Browns

C. Milwaukee Brewers Seattle Pilots Check

D. Chicago Cubs

E. Atlanta Braves Milwaukee Braves, Boston Braves

On the others, those were names that those franchises went by but they were not THE original name they were known by7. Peyton Manning is in 3rd place in the following career statistics: Completions, Yards, TD passes. Brett Favre is in first place in each of those categories. Who is in second place?

Dan Marino

Check

Seattle Seahawks

Check

Chicago Bears/Decatur Staleys

Check

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Jamaal Charles KC

None of those are right per my source.

Bob gets 5 right, plus several partials. Too easy?

A. New York Yankees New York Highlanders

B. Baltimore Orioles-Baltimore Orioles

C. Milwaukee Brewers-Milwaukee Brewers

D. Chicago Cubs-Chicago Orphans

E. Atlanta Braves-Boston Braves

None of these is right, though, again, some of these names like Highlanders, Orphans etc. were names of these teams at some point, they were not THE original name.

None of these is right, though, again, some of these names like Highlanders, Orphans etc. were names of these teams at some point, they were not THE original name.

Russ Grimm and Rickey Jackson just got in. Is Chris Doleman in the HoF?

Russ Grimm and Rickey Jackson just got in. Is Chris Doleman in the HoF?

Those are 2 more. Doleman is not in. He was a candidate, but they took Jackson instead.

Here are the Final Answers to this week's trivia:

Mike Singletary.

Mike Ditka, Tony Dorsett, Dan Marino, Russ Grimm, Ricky Jackson, Joe Schmidt

3. What QB threw the most TD passes in the 2010 season? Tom Brady with 36

Which one threw the most interceptions? Eli Manning with 25

They were the Pittsburgh Ironmen

The Cleveland Rebels.

A. New York Yankees they started their existance in 1901 as The Baltimore Orioles, later moved to NY to become the Highlanders then the Yankees

B. Baltimore Orioles they started their existance in 1901 as The Milwaukee Brewers, then became the St. Louis Browns, then the Baltimore Orioles.

C. Milwaukee Brewers They started as the Seattle Pilots..1969

D. Chicago Cubs They started in 1876 as the Chicago White Stockings

E. Atlanta Braves They started their existance as....not the Boston Red Sox, but the Boston Red Caps.

Dan Marino

The Seattle Seahawks at 7-9 were outscored in all their games by 97 points.

The Decatur Staleys became the Chicago Bears. The A.E. Staley Co. made corn fructose. They still make pancake syrup.

Arian Foster 330 points, Peyton Hillis 244 points, Adrian Peterson 242 points.

After 1950 the Baltimore Colts, which came over from the AAFC folded

After 1951 the New York Yanks folded

After 1952 the Dallas Texans folded

no team has folded since.

Note: the New York Yanks are not to be confused with the New York Yankees. The Yankees played in the AAFC but did not make the merge with the NFL. The New York Yanks began existance in 1949 as the New York Bulldogs, but changed name to The Yanks in 1950, then went belly up after 1951.

Thank goodness they terminated the policy of naming a cities football team after its baseball team. At one time the following were football teams:

St. Louis Cardinals

Brooklyn Dodgers

NY Yankees

Cincinatti Reds

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

New York Giants

Pittsburgh Pirates

Washington Senators

Boston Braves

all named after the local baseball team. Only the NY Giants survive with the name intact.

Archived