THE BROWNS BOARD

Espn Article About Colt Today

Juggernaut

Hi guys, I have been reading the forums for a long time but never had made a post before today. So I wanted to start off by saying HI. I didn't see anyone post this yet so I decided to post it. It's a artcile about Colt. I don't agree with it at all, I think he will shine in a WCO system and his arm will be just fine. I guess time will only tell. But I thought you guys would want to read it.

My link

A weekly look at a player whose performance must improve in 2011.

The Browns play in a difficult division. They have a new head coach and two new coordinators. They also have a second-year quarterback who needs all the offseason help he can get as he attempts to learn the new offensive system and get the Browns back to respectability. That is why Colt McCoy is the focus of this week's Pressure Point series.

There is a lot to like about McCoy. He won at the college level. He is intelligent, tough and scrappy. He is very accurate in the short-to-intermediate portions of the field. He moves well and kept the chains moving -- even as a rookie on an offense that was devoid of playmaking receivers. McCoy is an excellent fit in the West Coast offense, which the Browns are installing. Adding a talented, big-bodied wideout like Greg Little could certainly help the situation

But there is also a lot to worry about with McCoy. First, he isn't the biggest or most physical quarterback around. That could be a big problem in a division featuring the Steelers and Ravens. McCoy is going to take more than his fair share of hits. But what worries me more is that McCoy doesn't have physically overwhelming tools. Many think arm strength is overrated -- and I concede that some quarterbacks do increase their arm strength at the NFL level -- but McCoy is deficient in this category. Cleveland's coaching staff will always have to manage this young quarterback. We will see a lot of rollouts, play-action and three-step drops on an offense that features a power running game. All of that is fine, and I expect McCoy to do quite well with such play calls.

But there are times when the quarterback has to be able to make big-time throws. McCoy has to be able to put the ball into a very small area, and he needs to do so with velocity. There are times when he has to throw the ball with power behind it even though his feet are not set and the throwing conditions are not favorable. In Cleveland, and in this division, the quarterback must be able to handle wind and harsh conditions late in the season -- and perhaps even into the playoffs. We know that Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco can make those throws. I don't feel confident that McCoy can.

McCoy had some good outings last season, but as Peyton Hillis broke down late in the year and the weather became more challenging, McCoy and the Browns' offense fell apart. Apologists will say that he hit the rookie wall and that this year Cleveland should have two power runners (Hillis and Montario Hardesty) to lean on throughout the season. I still contend that this is not a good match between young quarterback and the city he plays in. McCoy threw three interceptions in Week 16 against Baltimore and three interceptions in Week 17 against Pittsburgh -- both games were played in Cleveland by the lake. I don't think that was a coincidence.

Im getting sick of all this crap about McCoys arm...its fine...Montana and Sipe didnt have cannons either...and Drew brees is another fine example...So I wish these numbfuks wpuld shuttup already and let the kid play for crying out loud.

Im getting sick of all this crap about McCoys arm...its fine...Montana and Sipe didnt have cannons either...and Drew brees is another fine example...So I wish these numbfuks wpuld shuttup already and let the kid play for crying out loud. Nickers

EXfreakin'zactly.

I remember reading a article not to long ago where Colt said he felt some fatigue towards the end of the year because is arm was still not at 100% after the injury he got from the hit by Dareus in the bowl game, and that his arm was 100% now and feeling stronger. Even though he can't work with the teams strength coach because of the lockout I can almost guarantee he's hired someone to help strengthen his arm. Add that to his determination to be successful as a NFL QB and I think he will be be just fine when the weather get bad. Hopefully

Typical off-season article. Questioning what a rookie QB can do in his follow-up year? Genius. I'm not entirely convinced that they didn't just copy portions of other articles published before and change the words around a little.

I agree totally. It's not always easy to find someone with an original thought.

Follow the link on this story and look at the other stories this guy has written. First, the nature of his series is by definition negative. He blasts Cassell, Flacco, Chris Johnson, and Crabtree among others. He is so far out in space that I don't think we can take seriously anything he says.

Just as long as he is accurate within 30 yards is all that counts. How many Hail Marys do you throw in a game?

Who remembers the first round pick jamarcus Russell? He had a cannon, but still sucked as a QB. there is more to the job than having a arm that can throw a football through a brick wall. You have to be a leader and have a pretty good IQ.

Yep, Russell could throw the ball 80 yards from his knees, but apparently couldn't lead a cow to be milked.

By the way: I will give away the answer to one of my trivia questions. In both 2008 and 2009 McCoy led the NCAA Division I (or FBS if you insist), in completion percentage. Hopefully that will translate to the pros.

Cleveland can never seem to get the QB thing right, but they may have it this time. I hope. Superb QB's are hard to come by. I really think Tebow will do well in Denver with Elway in the front office. He will work with him.

Agree too, this offseason is more painful than ever and these weak articles just make it worse. This writer says Colt is tough, scrappy, intelligent, accurate, keeps the chains moving, highly proven at college level, did well despite no star receivers, has passion for the game, will fit well with the WCO - but possibly maybe might not have a strong enough arm. Hmmm. Colt came into a season that he wasn't expected to see any playing time, dumped into a game Vs the Steelers (spit out window) and didn't dump his pants, went on to win against NE and NO. Lazy lazy stuff. Thank god we do have an intelligent guy behind centre this off season - he's going to need a pretty sizeable brain to absorb the new systme and lead the team to understand it in what is undoubtedly going to be a truncated timeframe.

Cleveland can never seem to get the QB thing right, but they may have it this time. I hope. Superb QB's are hard to come by. I really think Tebow will do well in Denver with Elway in the front office. He will work with him.

AHH, here we go. The ever critical rivalry challenge. Ali vs. Frazier, Magic vs. Bird, Bjorn vs. McEnroe, Holmes vs. Moriarty, Willie vs. Mickey vs. The Duke. Who is going to have the better career, Tebow or McCoy? I will put my money on McCoy on the belief that it will become more like the Peyton Manning vs. Ryan Leaf rivalry. Of course, at this point, you may have to say that the person that has had the better of it in this rivalry is Sam Bradford, and not McCoy or Tebow. (and throw Jimmy Clausen into the mix....but he has already been usurped by the drafting of Cam Newton by the same team)

Agree too, this offseason is more painful than ever and these weak articles just make it worse. This writer says Colt is tough, scrappy, intelligent, accurate, keeps the chains moving, highly proven at college level, did well despite no star receivers, has passion for the game, will fit well with the WCO - but possibly maybe might not have a strong enough arm. Hmmm. Colt came into a season that he wasn't expected to see any playing time, dumped into a game Vs the Steelers (spit out window) and didn't dump his pants, went on to win against NE and NO. Lazy lazy stuff. Thank god we do have an intelligent guy behind centre this off season - he's going to need a pretty sizeable brain to absorb the new systme and lead the team to understand it in what is undoubtedly going to be a truncated timeframe.

Bingo Howds!! This writer is named Matt Williamson. He says he watched film, but I have a feeling he simply regurgitated some pre-draft stuff to meet his deadline. It is a piss poor article. For one, he concludes Flaccof Seagulls as some sort of proven stud, where in reality, the same questions are being bandied about in Bmore about his downfield ability see here

Here is a snippet about our esteemed writer squid:

Matt Williamson

Chats | Football Today Podcast Matt Williamson has been scouting football players at different levels for six years. Before joining ESPN and Scouts Inc. in 2005, he was both an NFL and college scout for the Cleveland Browns. Before that, he spent three seasons as assistant recruiting coordinator at the University of Pit...

McCoy was a rookie last year who wasn't even supposed to play, the plan coming in was for him to redshirt. Because of injury to Wallace and Jake, he had to play, and he did so with very little prep time with the number ones. He spent most of the year working the scout team prior to starting against Pitt.

This Williamson guy needs to do a little more research rather than just throwing on some periodic game tape. He came to some pretty strong conclusions based on a few games by a rookie, against which he played some of the toughest defenses in the league. He also played with a high ankle sprain and a shoulder nerve that wasn't fully healed, plus in some nasty weather toward the end. This is all well documented, along with the fact that the Brown's right side of the oline was a mess and we were playing with the likes of Robert Royal in the passing game, not to mention Hillis was severely limited after Ed Reed cheap shotted him early in the Bmore game.

They were also missing Evan Moore and Hardesty was out the whole year, leaving the likes of Mike Bell as the feature back. A lot of floks are clinging to the downfield stats that Pluto quantified here, but many were the result of the game conditions and other factors such as playing from behind and guys like MoMass not fighting for the ball etc. He also didn't rank that badly per the league in some of those categories based on throwing downfield. Flacco threw for a whopping 102 yards against the Browns with a long of 22 yards. However, Matty W has Flacco a proven commodity already going long.

This just in: When the weather really sucks bad, (I was at the Bmore game), most QB's are not going to put up big numbers. It is one of the most overrated things that analysts talk about IMO, the old "Can he sling it when the winds are whipping in off the lake?" BS. Don't buy into it, it has so much more to do with a comfortable grip on the ball then it does the mythical "having a big arm and slicing it through the wind" theory. QB's that adapt to those conditions do so because they keep their arms loose and keep feeling in their fingers so they have a proper grip and release. The ball feels like a frozen rock to the bare hand and can be extremely slippery. Sure, there is a part of it that is playing the wind, but being prepared to play in it is the main thing. You never hear people discuss QB's who have great difficulty throwing a wet football, but that is a much bigger issue. The bottom line is not many QB's are going to put up 300 yard type games when the weather is atrocious, it just isn't going to happen very often. Ask some guys like Peyton Manning what life is like away from the dome. It is more about game planning and capitalizing on opportunities, which a guy like Colt, who is accurate and can make plays with his feet, can do.

It's funny, I just got done watching a tape delay of Shurmur on the Les Levine Show. A caller asked him about Colt being able to throw in those 25 yard windows and Pat said to a tee "We know he can make all the throws." He said it very confidently and knowingly, not just lip service.

Face it, a lot of guys who downgraded McCoy before the draft are still clinging to the lack of arm thing until he proves them wrong. I have no doubts about his arm, I've heard enough real experts proclaim it plenty good enough and have seen it for myself in college and last year.

Hi guys, I have been reading the forums for a long time but never had made a post before today. So I wanted to start off by saying HI. I didn't see anyone post this yet so I decided to post it. It's a artcile about Colt. I don't agree with it at all, I think he will shine in a WCO system and his arm will be just fine. I guess time will only tell. But I thought you guys would want to read it.

My link

A weekly look at a player whose performance must improve in 2011.

The Browns play in a difficult division. They have a new head coach and two new coordinators. They also have a second-year quarterback who needs all the offseason help he can get as he attempts to learn the new offensive system and get the Browns back to respectability. That is why Colt McCoy is the focus of this week's Pressure Point series.

There is a lot to like about McCoy. He won at the college level. He is intelligent, tough and scrappy. He is very accurate in the short-to-intermediate portions of the field. He moves well and kept the chains moving -- even as a rookie on an offense that was devoid of playmaking receivers. McCoy is an excellent fit in the West Coast offense, which the Browns are installing. Adding a talented, big-bodied wideout like Greg Little could certainly help the situation

But there is also a lot to worry about with McCoy. First, he isn't the biggest or most physical quarterback around. That could be a big problem in a division featuring the Steelers and Ravens. McCoy is going to take more than his fair share of hits. But what worries me more is that McCoy doesn't have physically overwhelming tools. Many think arm strength is overrated -- and I concede that some quarterbacks do increase their arm strength at the NFL level -- but McCoy is deficient in this category. Cleveland's coaching staff will always have to manage this young quarterback. We will see a lot of rollouts, play-action and three-step drops on an offense that features a power running game. All of that is fine, and I expect McCoy to do quite well with such play calls.

But there are times when the quarterback has to be able to make big-time throws. McCoy has to be able to put the ball into a very small area, and he needs to do so with velocity. There are times when he has to throw the ball with power behind it even though his feet are not set and the throwing conditions are not favorable. In Cleveland, and in this division, the quarterback must be able to handle wind and harsh conditions late in the season -- and perhaps even into the playoffs. We know that Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco can make those throws. I don't feel confident that McCoy can.

McCoy had some good outings last season, but as Peyton Hillis broke down late in the year and the weather became more challenging, McCoy and the Browns' offense fell apart. Apologists will say that he hit the rookie wall and that this year Cleveland should have two power runners (Hillis and Montario Hardesty) to lean on throughout the season. I still contend that this is not a good match between young quarterback and the city he plays in. McCoy threw three interceptions in Week 16 against Baltimore and three interceptions in Week 17 against Pittsburgh -- both games were played in Cleveland by the lake. I don't think that was a coincidence.

Welcome abord Juggernaut. Good artical on Colt. I'm not buying the Colt can't play in bad weather crap. Give the kid more weapons than he had last year and the installing of the WCO and then lets review how it's going. McCoy is going to be the man, what a great feeling not to have that Quinn-Anderson circus anymore.

Archived