THE BROWNS BOARD

Horsing Around Trivia

The Gipper

Here you go, some sports trivia for any postilians out there:

1. After the 1950 NFL/AAFC merger, the following teams were in the NFL that are still active:

Eagles, Steelers, Giants, Redskins, Bears, Cards, Lions, Packers, Browns, 49ers, Colts.

Which of these teams have won the most NFL titles since 1950?

2. What was the last now defunct franchise to win an NFL title?

3. The NFL has 32 teams located in 30 different metropolitan areas. Only 2 of those markets are what is often referred to as "One Horse" towns, i.e. that they only have one franchise located there in the 4 major league spectator sports (Now NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB). What are the two NFL One Horse towns?

4. Winnipeg is about to rejoin the family of North American major league cities with the impending relocation there of the Atlanta Thrashers. When was the last year that a team from Winnipeg won a major league sports title? (hint: NHL or WHA)

5. Three countries in history have won the most Olympic Gold Medals in Futbol (soccer), men's and women. Name the 3 countries.

6. Seven NBA Metro areas are "One Horse Towns" where the NBA is the only major league sport in town. Name the 7 cities.

7. What was the last horse to win the Triple Crown?

8. With Winnipeg coming on board in the NHL, they will have 8 one horse towns, but, understandably, 6 of those will be in Canada, but 2 are in the US. Name the 2 USA NHL "one horse towns".

9. Which NFL team nicknames come with wings?

Which NFL nicknames come with hoofs?

10. The Indy 500 is coming up soon. What horsepower does the IndyCar Race Series specify that it racers are to have?

Bonus: Our young horse, Colt McCoy, in his junior and senior years at Texas (2008 and 2009) finished 1st overall in a particular statistical category in NCAA Division I football (note: there are about 130 D-I schools) . What passing category was that?

In regard to this subject, I am giving you the following which is a photo that both the world's largest known horse which goes by the name of Goliath, and the world's largest known cow. However, I do not know the name of the cow:

World's Largest Horse

In case you couldn't tell, it is the cow that is in the foreground.

(sorry, it wouldn't let me reproduce it, so click the link)

3. The NFL has 32 teams located in 30 different metropolitan areas. Only 2 of those markets are what is often referred to as "One Horse" towns, i.e. that they only have one franchise located there in the 4 major league spectator sports (Now NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB). What are the two NFL One Horse towns?

Green Bay and Jacksonville

6. Seven NBA Metro areas are "One Horse Towns" where the NBA is the only major league sport in town. Name the 7 cities.

San Antonio, Memphis, Orlando, Portland, Utah, Sacramento, Oklahoma City

Bonus: Our young horse, Colt McCoy, in his junior and senior years at Texas (2008 and 2009) finished 1st overall in a particular statistical category in NCAA Division I football (note: there are about 130 D-I schools) . What passing category was that?

• 2 weeks later...

I have not yet given the answers to this trivia, here they are:

1. After the 1950 NFL/AAFC merger, the following teams were in the NFL that are still active:

Eagles, Steelers, Giants, Redskins, Bears, Cards, Lions, Packers, Browns, 49ers, Colts.

Which of these teams have won the most NFL titles since 1950?

The Packers with 7 have won the most titles since 1950

2. What was the last now defunct franchise to win an NFL title?

The Providence Steam Roller in 1928. All other titles won since 1928 have been won by current active franchises.

Green Bay and Jacksonville

4. Winnipeg is about to rejoin the family of North American major league cities with the impending relocation there of the Atlanta Thrashers. When was the last year that a team from Winnipeg won a major league sports title? (hint: NHL or WHA)

The Winnipeg Jets now known as the Phoenix Coyotes won the WHA title in 1979.

5. Three countries in history have won the most Olympic Gold Medals in Futbol (soccer), men's and women. Name the 3 countries.

Great Britain, Hungary and the USA. Of course it is the US women's futbol team that give us that total.

Orlando, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Portland, and Memphis are all NBA one horse towns.

Affirmed, 1978

8. With Winnipeg coming on board in the NHL, they will have 8 one horse towns, but, understandably, 6 of those will be in Canada, but 2 are in the US. Name the 2 USA NHL "one horse towns".

Columbus, Ohio and Raleigh NC.

The 6 Canadian cities are now Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Montreal

By the way NO MLB city is a "one horse town". All MLB cities have at least one other major league sport in town.

Cardinals, Seahawks, Falcons, Eagles, Ravens, Jets

Colts, Broncos and Rams

No Buffalo Bills you ask? Buffalo is the name of the city, not the team nickname. Buffalo Bill Cody shot a lot of animals with hoofs I'm sure, but he, himself, did not have hoofs.

10. The Indy 500 is coming up soon. What horsepower does the IndyCar Race Series specify that it racers are to have?

650 Horsepower is prescribed for Indy racers.

Completion percentage.

Archived