THE BROWNS BOARD

Free Agent Wide Receiver Availability List

Riffer X

FREE AGENT WIDE RECEIVER AVAILABILITY LIST

Predicated on no changes from the CBA for the tendered or franchised guys.

The below is a list of all the FA WR’s out there with descriptions of each and their relative value. Please tell me who you would like and why, plus what you are willing to part with to get them to come to the Browns.

Rice had 17 catches last year and is coming off hip issues. The Vikes are looking at extending him and have put a first round tender on him. He also was involved in a bogus credit card scandal for airline tix.

Vincent Jackson was tagged with the non-exclusive franchise player designation, which means he can still negotiate in free agency with other teams. But the team signing him to an offer sheet would have to surrender two first-round draft picks to San Diego. He is coming off a 14 catch season in which he played 5 games. His catches since his rookie year go 3, 27, 41, 59, 68 and 14.

Santana Moss is going on his tenth year, although he had 93 catches last season. Supposedly, the Danald wants to resign him and with his bucks, I am sure he will.

Breaston is not an upgrade anywhere, he is a 2nd or 3rd WR. That has thrived off of Fitz and Boldin his whole career. He will still demand too much.

Floyd requires a first and third and had 37 catches in 11 games.

Doucet was tendered but it's not known for what yet, plus coming off hernia surgery. 26 catches last year.

Amendola was just given an exclusive rights tender.

Brad Smith is another Cribbs, but not even as good.

Laurent Robinson was tendered and had a whopping 34 catches last year

Steve Smith coming off microfracture

Jacoby Jones had 51 catches last year but the Texans want to keep him, meaning he won't come cheap.

Sims-Walker had 43 grabs last year and has the dropsies, plus is a bit of a nob.

Holmes never leaves the Jets.

Edwards-----please

Rashied Davis has 88 catches going on his 7th year.

Aromashodu had 10 catches and wasn't tendered on a Bears team desperate for receiver help.

Hurd has 45 catches going into his 6th year.

Roby has 24 catches going into his 7th season.

Hagan has 85 catches going into his 6th season.

Renaud has 3 catches going into his 4th season.

Higgins has 57 catches going into his 5th season.

Obomanu just signed a 3 year extension.

Clayton is still not healed after patella injury yet and had 27 catches last year.

Stovall has 51 catches going into his 6th year.

Baskett has 77 catches going into his 6th year.

Curtis has 7 catches the last two years and signed with KC.

Finneran is going into his 10th year and has averaged 16 catches the last 3 years.

Plax Burress—no thanks. I don't want that guy just like TO and R Moss. I wouldn't want Ocho either.

Sweed is coming off Achilles shurgery and is a major bust.

Greg Lewis is past his prime

Legudu Naanee nobody that the Chargers didn't restrict and is coming off an arrest

Ryne Robinson is out of the league

Patrick Turner had two catches last year

Demetrius Williams sucked

We could always bring back Stallworth for another free meal or Northcutt to make his annual big drop against Pitt.

UDFA’s---Sanzenbacher, Maehl etc

I think Williams will be back for training camp, it's not that he doesn't have the ability, it's that he hasn't bee able to stay healthy. I'm not surprised he didn't do much with the time we had him last year since he didn't play or practice with any team for the first half of the season. One of those guys you bring into camp to see what he can do and if he can't do anything you just drop him. I honestly don't like hardly anyone on this list besides Holmes, but he isn't going to leave NY and if he does he isn't going to want to come to Cleveland. All the top guys either have questionable ability or health and most of been tendered for too high a draft pick. Having to spend anything higher than a 3rd rounder on any of these guys and most are going to require at least a 1st.

So my two guys on the list that I would try to go after if they do not resign with there team and at least test FA are

Moss: Solid production and a Vet who could be a good leader for the team.

Holmes: Good route running, catching, and speed combo. Would do well in a WCO. Has had very solid numbers over his career.

The only guy on the list I'd look into is Holmes like HIB said. I don't want Moss, either Moss.

Is Jordan Norwood still on the practice squad? Go with who we have, Robo, MoMass, Little, Mitchell, Cribbs, Norwood. We already used draft picks on those guys.

Plus, with Watson, Moore and Cameron added into that mix, Colt will have some pretty decent targets anyway.

Right now he is on the active roster considering the season hasn't started back up, along with Haggerty who did great in traing camp last year. Both Norwood and Haggerty were un drafted. I do like moss though, he is a solid producer, he has been able to perform as a #1 back and he has the experiance and knowledge that our current WR need. Considering all the cap room we finally have thanks to getting rid of Rodgers and Williams, we can afford to go after a guy like Moss with a 3 year contract. I could see him being like Watson was last year and possibly having a career season and being a good lockerroom guy.

Good point ^^

Wouldn't be surprised if Shurmur brought in a WR from the Rams who can help the others and who already "gets it".

I forgot about Haggerty, HIB. They're both on the active roster? Sounds good let's see what they've got this year. Afraid of continuing to hope they'll pan out though like Hubbard. Whatever happened to him, we cut him did he catch on anywhere?

Well it's the offseason active roster. I don't know how many people are allowed on it, I'm thinking somewhere around 75 at the start of the preseason and that needs to be cut down to something like 58 by active season (with only 53 dressing for games). All the players that are on the practice squad at the end of the season, or on IR, get moved back onto the active roster. Norwood came from the practice squad with something like 3 weeks left to go in the season and Haggerty came back from IR.

The only ting I am trying to figure out is what kind of injury Haggerty was on IR with. They sais foot injury but that was as far as they said. I feel like they new he was going to have to spend some of the season on the practice squad because of the amount of receivers we had and he had something minor that didn't necessarily require being put on IR in order to keep him from getting grabbed up by another team and allowing him another season to progress. I think he was in the building during the season with Mavia working out.

Not to be a negative Nancy, but last year we said similar things and halfway through the season were wishing they had done a little more to get us a quality reciever. I'm not saying the talent we have hasn't gotten better, but it would be nice to have the WR position locked down for whomever is QB (Colt).

A FA wr is not going to make or break this team....

very true, unless Andre Johnson, Larry Fitz, {insert top-tier WR} joins Cleveland and not only that talks so highly of the Browns and willingly speaks on bringing this team a championship, maybe then will they have an extreme impact for the Browns. And that's not going to happen. I don't see top-tiers running to Cleveland.

very true, unless Andre Johnson, Larry Fitz, {insert top-tier WR} joins Cleveland and not only that talks so highly of the Browns and willingly speaks on bringing this team a championship, maybe then will they have an extreme impact for the Browns. And that's not going to happen. I don't see top-tiers running to Cleveland.

As soon as we are able to begin talking football again I say we call the Cardinals and express our interest in Larry Fitzgerald. He is hands down the best complete package at WR in the NFL. He has the skills the brains and the character. As the Cardinals start sinking fast again this year they will be looking to get something for him before he leaves. So maybe at the trade deadline we give up our first round pick from atlanta and our second round pick for Fitzgerald.

As soon as we are able to begin talking football again I say we call the Cardinals and express our interest in Larry Fitzgerald. He is hands down the best complete package at WR in the NFL. He has the skills the brains and the character. As the Cardinals start sinking fast again this year they will be looking to get something for him before he leaves. So maybe at the trade deadline we give up our first round pick from atlanta and our second round pick for Fitzgerald.

No it's still not worth it. That's a move to make when you have a complete team and you just need to make that one more grab at a great player. It's what the Ravens did last year with Boldin, even though it didn't work out the best, they are a team that was in a position to grab a guy like him. The Browns at the end of next season will still have too many holes on the team to give up a first and a second on a WR.

I thought the browns should have made a play for Boldin last year, he is defentily worth a 2nd.

And where were we when the Steelers wanted to deal Holmes shit id given at least a 2nd for him and the Jets got him for like a 5th round pick...

Granted the Steelers probaly would never make a trade with us

I thought the browns should have made a play for Boldin last year, he is defentily worth a 2nd.

And where were we when the Steelers wanted to deal Holmes shit id given at least a 2nd for him and the Jets got him for like a 5th round pick...

Good trivia question: when was the last time the Browns and Steelers made a player trade?

I don't know the answer. Clearly, intradivision trades in the NFL are rare.

Well first off the Steelers would have never delt him to anyone in the AFC North unless they got at least a 1st out of it and second I wouldn't think Holmes would resign with the Browns this year if we had traded for him anyway.

The Chicago Bears have proven time and time again that you do not need a huge name QB and a stack of highly paid finesse players to go to the playoffs. They pride themselves on Defense and Special Teams and get it done almost every year.

Archived