THE BROWNS BOARD

Thor Review

Thor

Paramount

PG 13 115 min

Well I've mentioned my affinity for DC comics as well as my lesser familiarity of the Marvel group but it does seem the latter has a pretty interesting gang of heroes. They've also put out an impressive number of films, most of which at least passable and quite a few really good ones.

THOR is in the upper echelon.

Thor himself was to the Germanic pagans via the Norse gods, the son of Odin and the god of thunder.

The Marvel stories bear some resemblance to the Viking mythology but I wouldn't use the comics to study for your ancient history exam.

In this film, as in most super hero flicks, we get the origin of the main character.

We find Odin (Anthony Hopkins) about to pass on his kingdom to one of his two sons, arrogant Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and smarmy Loki (Tom Hiddleston) .

On an ill advised whim Thor goes against his fathers wishes and upsets a shaky truce between the ice giants and Asgard.

For that indiscretion the god of thunder and his hammer are tossed out of the heavenly realm and land here on earth.

Now without his hammer Thor is no more powerful than any fit human. He'll need to prove himself before he's able to retrieve his birthright. There's a touch of comedic relief as the “fish out of water” confronts an unfamiliar world.

Meanwhile back in Asgard, Loki is up to some mischief conspiring to usurp the throne and making nefarious deals with the ice giants.

A few things set this apart from many super hero flicks. First Hemsworth is perfect as the title character combining a Schwarzenegger physique with a Globe Theater voice.

As a matter of fact there's a Shakespearean tone to the whole production thanks to the world class talent of director Kenneth Branagh. He's achieved a nice balance of top notch scenery, acting and action. I even shelled out the extra couple bucks for the 3 D specs.

A-

WSS

email westsidesteve@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good movie, well done and the 3D wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. (I'm pretty cheap as well as having simple needs, so I don't know that it was worth the extra few bucks I shelled out...but if 3D is your thing, you probably won't be disappointed.)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived