THE BROWNS BOARD

Rubin And Taylor

Nw220

I was wondering do you think that Jauron may have the idea of having Rubin and Taylor as his DT's the way he used to have Keith Traylor and Ted Washington as his DT's in Chicago???

I mean that Defense was pretty nasty and they did nothing but clog the middle where no one could run up the gut on them..

Also read an Urlacher article that said he did so well in those years because he didnt have to shed nearly as many blocks because of those two and it was great for him...

My question is,is that the type of plan Jauron and Rhodes has for this Defense as well??

Of course it is. Baltiwhore's main front three are Ngata, Craig? and Cody. First rounder (stupid savage), sixth rounder, and 2nd rounder.

The big guys up front free the lb's to make plays. It's all about controlling the los. Ngata and Cody are the huge guys.

So are Rubin and Taylor in the middle of the 4-3. Should be a whole lot of fun to watch.

Of course it is. Baltiwhore's main front three are Ngata, Craig? and Cody. First rounder (stupid savage), sixth rounder, and 2nd rounder.

The big guys up front free the lb's to make plays. It's all about controlling the los. Ngata and Cody are the huge guys.

So are Rubin and Taylor in the middle of the 4-3. Should be a whole lot of fun to watch.

Yeah but they also run a 3-4 theres a big difference there D-lineman are designed to take up space,in a 4-3 theres usually at least on DT who is used to Rush the passer.Basically your 3 gap DT you see it with the Colts and Bears,Etc.. Who run the 4-3 Cover 2 base its not quite often you get two huge Big Run stuffers...

They best example i can think of were the Jaguars when the had John Henderson and Marcus Stroud..

I don't know much - 'cept having two huge buttkickers in the middle of the 4-3 line makes sense to me.

The double teams that will be necessary will free up ops for the DE's and lb's. I would think it would be easier to run

a qb sneak around a NT in a 3-4, than vs Taylor and Rubin in a 4-3.

I imagine we will all get a good education about defensive line play with the Browns this year... and

the Browns' opponents won't be happy about it.

Didn't the Browns have that with Smith and Rogers? Those two were the biggest in the league almost.

Those guys were in a 3-4 & I don't want a "plodder" at DE. You put the two big guys we have now in the middle of a 4-3, add two smaller, faster DEs & who are you gonna double team? I expect to see a LOT more QB pressure & overall disruption in opponents backfields. We never had near the pieces needed for a 3-4. Personally, I feel our D will be better. We'll see.

Mike

is Robaire Smith still on the roster?

He is, but there are serious questions on if he will make it back from his injury.

I wouldn't count on his full return.

I like having them both at DT.

The center is going to have to help with one of them. The guy who gets doubled will hunker down and just try to hold ground. The guy who doesn't get doubled will try to shoot a gap.

Once they get a feel for this and simply react to being doubled or not and how to react to that could leave us with a fairly disruptive set of interior defensive linemen.

I think the best part about both Rubin and Taylor are that they are both very athletic for big guys. Both have showed this by not just making plays at the line but by also pursuing the play and making tackles down near the side lines. Which ever one sets up in the 1, the guy who is in the 3 spot will have pass rushing ability, that I am sure of.

I hope the fatboys will be able to play more than 3 downs at a time. We still need more backups in that position.

That is a moronic comment. Rubin played about 80% of the downs in the 3 - 4. And Phil played 80% of the downs in college as well. Please research the topic before you post responses like that. About the only thing you were correct on is the fact we need more depth.

Most had Rubin fixated as the one tech in this new defense prior to the draft, but my immediate reaction after the Taylor selection was that perhaps the Browns have different plans. Rubin was all over the field as a two gap NT in our version of the 3-4, and that says a lot. He did it while holding the point of attack and then making plays with pursuit. Rogers was a square peg in a round hole because he wanted to go strictly one gap all the time while at NT, which was a recipe for disaster and really pissed Rob Ryan off.

This is the ideal defense for Rogers, but it was time to cut ties, they did the right thing. Back to Rubin, I can see him playing the three tech (penetrator off the guard's outside shoulder)in this defense while Taylor plays the traditional one tech (hole plugger off the guard's inside shoulder). Rubin could have mad potential at this if he is turned loose and can focus on getting upfield, something he really hasn't been afforded the opportunity to do.

That being said, Taylor is more than just a two gapper himself, so what I can really see happening is them both alternating and being very versatile within their respective roles. Jauron likes this recipe, as evidenced by Traylor and Washington in Chicago. I am very excited to see how this turns out.

Here is the kind of line I would like to see us have in the 4-3:

m-3507.jpg

or this:

33-59052-F.jpg

But a problem is that neither of those teams won a title.

It isn't a problem....titles are great, but they don't make you great....they just add to the greatness.....mostly in the eyes of fans and writers.

Most of the guys you pictured are HOF'ers....that is about as great as it gets IMO.

My question really was recently what 2000 teams and on went with this type of 4-3 scheme at the Defensive Tackle Position and had success...I already stated the 2001 Bears with Traylor and Washington..

But i wanted to know which other ones??

I also mentioned the Jags when they had Henderson and Stroud in the middle of there D,that combination was deadly..

Archived