THE BROWNS BOARD

Open Qb Competition?

By Albert Breer NFL Network

Holmgren: Browns QB competition is open, with McCoy in mix

INDIANAPOLIS -- Colt McCoy has acted like the quarterback and leader of the Cleveland Browns throughout this offseason.

But that doesn't mean competition at the position is closed.

Browns president Mike Holmgren expressed satisfaction Tuesday in McCoy's rookie-year performance and his standing on the team. Yet Holmgren stopped just short of saying the former University of Texas standout is the answer to a quarterback question the franchise has asked since re-entering the NFL in 1999.

"We have Seneca Wallace, too, and Jake Delhomme as well right now," Holmgren said at the NFL Spring Meeting. "But (McCoy) got his feet wet last year. I didn't necessarily want him to play that much last year, but we were injured, and so he had a chance to play. He showed us enough where he will go in, and we're hopeful that -- it'll be competitive -- but if he does what I think he can do, he'll probably be the guy, yeah."

Coming off a season in which he started eight games and threw for 1,576 yards and six touchdowns with nine interceptions, McCoy has taken a leadership role with the team in organizing workouts in Austin, Texas, for Cleveland's offensive players.

"I've always been impressed with Colt and his leadership ability -- that's one of the reasons we drafted him (in the third round)," Holmgren said. "So I'm not surprised by this. They love to play the game, so he's going to do what he has to now as he gets his chance to be the starting quarterback and the leader of the football team.

"He's going to do what he has to do, what he thinks is best, in this time we're going through right now. I'm not surprised by it. And yeah, it puts a little smile on my face."

It certainly sounds like it is going to be an open competition to me and here we go again more of the same crap likely leading to the same place, the old/experienced guy running the team with the young guy rotting on the bench and the browns in their usual fouth place in the AFCN..

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!

one of the local (columbus) stiffs on the radio put it this way(and i agree): There's a lockout, who knows when it will end. You prospective starting QB is 23/24 years old. Keep him motivated so he doesnt feel as if it will be handed to him after the lock out

while i don't agree that mccoy would have that mentality, its better to help keep him motivated than to see if he proves you wrong

It's just smoke to keep things honest. It works best for everyone to have a little competition but we all know that McCoy is the starter.

There is no way that Colt is not going to be our man as the season starts. Coaches always want players that feel they have a chance to be a starter sometime. Bet the farm that here it is May that by Sept. it will still be Colt and Wallace just like it is now.

Lets be honest, they are going to play the best QB and if that happens to be Wallace, then he is the guy. They believe that it is not Wallace, but it McCoy, which is what I think as well. I bet they are not just going to hand him the job though. If in training camp and preseason, if they see Wallace is doing better he will at least begin the season as the start. When he signed they probably told him that they are going to play the best guy and he just had to show he was that guy. It won't be a QB competition as much because I am sure they have McCoy going in getting the majority of the snaps, but when Wallace takes his snaps with the first team they will be watching to see how he does.

i dont think Colts job is in jeopardy but i think they do respect Seneca Wallace alot,i thought he would at least test the market and see if there was a team willing to start him from the get go.

If you think about it there are alot of teams that are in need of a QB, and i think thats alot of Loyalty from Wallace to just come back knowing that Colt is going to get the chance to become the starter here.

The thing i like most is that in this league you never know if Colt could take an injury in week one or two, and theres really not a better backup QB id like better than Wallace to come in and start.His experience and knowledge of this offense makes me feel comfortable we would still be a very good offense

Hes defentily one of the most underrated backup QBs in this league

If he beats out Colt, then the QB search continues.

I agree.....that sums it up perfectly.

As fans, we need to quit this hoping and selecting who we want/like and trust the staff in who they select.

I am sure Shurmer knows more about football the I do or any of you do.....if not, you are dumb for not selecting a profession that suits your talent level.

I think and hope McCoy can be a good QB.....but if not.....move on.

The only thing worse then a bad selection is sticking with it past the cut bait point.

After watching Brady Quinn play a few games I was convinced that he was not the QB to lead us to the big dance..

After watching Colt McCoy play a few games, although I liked what I saw, I'm still not 100% sure that he's the one. The big difference is, I think he can evolve into the role as a franchise QB...

Seems the team rallied around him and he made plays that had to be made..

The modern day pro athlete has taught me one thing. Root for the team not for the player..

Players come and go but the team is there year after year..

I'd be surprised if Colt was not the starter but I wouldn't be disappointed if Senecca led us to a super bowl....

Peace

T.Dawg

Archived