THE BROWNS BOARD

Third "camp Colt" Planned

McCoy, Browns will gather in Texas for third minicamp

NFL.com

Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy is putting together another three-day minicamp, the third he's organized during the NFL lockout, for next month at the University of Texas, wide receiver Josh Cribbs informed The Plain Dealer.

Former Longhorns star McCoy, who brought together teammates for camps at his alma mater in April and two weeks ago at Baldwin-Wallace College in suburban Berea, has scheduled the third "Camp Colt" for June 9-11.

The players have participated in offensive drills, watched film of the West Coast offense that new head coach Pat Shurmur plans to implement for 2011, and enjoyed off-field activities designed to aid team chemistry. Cribbs, who attended the first two camps, will miss next month's while home in Washington, D.C., for his birthday.

Others who attended the second camp include quarterback Jake Delhomme, receivers Mohammed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie, tight ends Ben Watson and rookie Jordan Cameron, and cornerback Joe Haden.

All of the team's draft picks have been invited to the camps. Receiver Greg Little, a second-round pick out of North Carolina, has been in contact with McCoy and other players, said his agent, Andy Ross, who said he'd advise his client not to take part in on-field drills if he attends.

I'm really starting to think that there will be no season this year. Fishing here I come.

Me too. It's looking like no NFL coming up. Oh well, screw em all. Billionaires and millionaires fighting over a golden goose while killing it at the same time. I'm not buying any NFL merchandise for a long, long time. I will always be a Browns fan and support them, but this big business NFL is really turning me off.

Screw the NFL. If they're willing to lose a multi-billion dollar industry, go ahead and do so. We, the Fans, could care less, as we will get back in the real world and do things real people do, and stop glorifying the greed and nature of the owners and the glorified athletes.

Yeah the lockout looks really bad right about now im not sure if there will be a season next year its not looking so great.

As far as colt goes good for him im impressed i hope they continue to do this it will only make them better. And i really hope Little attends and participates he needs to get in here as soon as possible.

• 4 weeks later...

If lockout lingers, McCoy, Fujita will organize Browns minicamp

NFL.com

Should the lockout continue much longer, quarterback Colt McCoy and linebacker Scott Fujita are planning a full-squad minicamp for the Cleveland Browns, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Monday.

"We're talking about it and I think it will happen," McCoy told the newspaper. "Things are progressing, but it's pending the lockout. The great thing is, guys are willing to come and I know we'll get some great work in on both sides of the ball."

The quarterback applauded his offensive teammates for their efforts to attend three skill sessions he has organized so far.

"The thing that makes it great is that the guys are so willing to travel to these workouts, to pay for some or all of their travel expenses and to work so hard," McCoy said, adding that teammates have helped pay for the expenses of rookies and younger players.

I am extremely impressed with the way this has been handled by Colt. He hasn't even been a starter for a full season and yet he has taken the reigns as the leader of this team when they needed it the most. He has the playbook...because he made sure to get it before the lockout began. He has been working with as many teammates as he can this entire offseason. And now he will be working with Fujita on a full squad training camp? I just hope all his work pays off on the field for the team and for Colt especially!

I predict this crap gets resolved by the end of the 4th of July week. No problem, let's get with the football thing. It's time.

These "Camp Browns" jobbies are what happens when you draft and sign players who LOVE THE GAME.

I'm really starting to think that there will be no season this year. Fishing here I come.

I am not sure why you say that. Everything I have read and heard says there has been a lot of progress made. In fact, the owners are meeting right now in Chicago, and it is my understanding that an outline of a proposed settlement may be presented to them for their tentative approval.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/06/21/nfl-owners-players-gather-for-key-lockout-meeting-in-chicago/

As the lockout appears to be winding down, I am starting to get antsy for some football.

That being said, I am continuing to be more and more impressed with McCoy. Our other former 3rd-rd. QB from Akron may have had Colt's tougness but he's not on the same planet in terms of leadership.

McCoy is taking charge of this team on the offensive side of the ball. It's refreshing because Charlie and DA never wanted to be the vocal leaders, and Jake D talked the talk but couldn't walk the walk.

I know people want to talk about how he didn't have good games in "cold weather" December, but if you really look at how those games played out, Colt played just fine. In Cincy, we barely had the ball at all. Against Baltimore, Colt struggled but he wasn't awful. Ed Reed made plays. And the last game against Pittsburgh was just a train wreck for everybody.

Colt played well in New Orleans, and at home against New England and New York, in CONSECUTIVE weeks. That's pretty damn good for a rookie QB in my book.

If Little is the real deal, then Colt's got plenty of adequate weapons in Little, Massaquoi, Cribbs, Moore, and Watson. That's not even mentioning guys like Stuckey, Robiskie, and Hillis and Hardesty out of the backfield.

No matter what happens, McCoy won't fail because of lack of confidence.

Archived