THE BROWNS BOARD

Why Is Everyone Optimistic About Robiskie?

dawgpound3

I don't understand it. He has been clearly unproductive and hasn't shown much at all since he was drafted in 09. I really don't understand the optimism about Robiskie. :blink: It would be nice for Robiskie to produce but I don't see happening.

robiskie played well when given a chance last year.

He will at best be an average reciever which means on a team basis...........mediocrity

I am not overly optimistic about the guy.

He made some strides for sure, but as has been stated, he is going to be average at best....and there are a lot of those guys to be had....plug in one of 75 names.

As of right now we have to live with him. Honestly in the last 10 years we havent had a great WR, besides BE one great year. ROBO hasnt had the consistency to be great. His 1st year like any other wr isnt always that great. His second year was as good as it could be, with running the ball so much and playing with a really shitty qb and a shitty qb and a rookie qb. When he was in last year he was making really great block and running good routes and actually getting open. This year he will have a whole season with the same QB under his belt, and will be pretty good. Also he his a west coast wr and will flourish with the slant and goes.

I think the reason you can still be optimistic is because he clearly improved last season and we are moving to an offensive scheme that fits his abilities. If you watch his career from high school to OSU and now with the Browns he has progressed and gotten better every year he has played. I understand why people don't like him, because he was supposed to be the most NFL ready WR in the draft class and he didn't even get to dress until the last few games his rookie year. But the guy literally tripled his numbers from last season which to me is a good sign.

Now if you want to know who I don't think people should be optimistic about. MoMass! The guy is a career under achiever. Was the best prospect to coming out of high school in North Carolina and regressed when he got the NC. The guy runs over a 4.6 at the combine which is TE speed not WR speed but he still goes in the 2nd round. Then everyone gets excited because he has one 100 yard game and fail to notice it was only because they were keying on Edwards the whole time. This season he has something close to 200 less yards and 3 less TD's which if you take out his one good game from his rookie season still means he regressed horribly even though this year we had better QB's (bitch about Delhomme all you want but he is still better than Quinn and Anderson and over half our games were played by McCoy and Wallace who are mjor improvements over our 2009 QB's).

Robo may be anywhere from awful to great. I'll just wait to see what happens & leave the decision to the experts.

I was happy when we drafted him, so I certainly want him to succeed as I thought he would.

Time will tell.

Mike

He will at best be an average reciever which means on a team basis...........mediocrity

If he reaches the level of mediocrity, that may be fine....as long as he is the 3rd or 4th option on this team. That would mean the 2-3 receivers on the depth chart ahead of him will be superior so that #4, Robo, can be mediocre.

Robo will be much better than mediocre. He has the best hands on the team and a great ability to adjust to the ball in air. The only thing he lacks is big time speed. You look at guys that succeed as rookies, its because they have elite speed. Percy Harvin, Mike Wallace, Eddie Royal to name a few...the others have great QB's. Robo has to work harder to get seperation, having to rely on route running more than speed, naturally its going to take longer to adjust at the NFL level. As said before, that transition is usually around 3 years. Roddy White caught 59 balls combined his first 2 years, Vincent Jackson caught 30 balls combined his first 2 years, Donald Driver caught 37 balls combined his first 3 years. These are elite guys that didn't produce squat until there 3rd or 4th years.

He caught 20 passes and three TDs last year in the final six game. That equates to 53 catches and 8 TDs over 16 games, if he turns out to produce those nubers I think we'll all be happy.

Plus, he's moving into his third season, he seems suited for the WCO and suited for McCoy ... what's not to be optimistic about?

Zombo

The only reason people like him is because he is from OSU. It's the same reason everyone wanted shitty players like Ted Ginn and Troy Smith to play for the Browns. I think Browns fans are the best in the country, but they have one gigantic flaw. Most root for OSU too. It's terrible, because being a Browns fan you should want the best players for your team regardless of college. I HATE Kent State with a passion, but I'm glad Cribbs is on our team. I was glad we drafted Frye, but I know he didn't work out so I didn't mind seeing him go. Unlike you OSU fans I'm not going to say Charlie Frye is the best QB in the league, like you guys do about Buckeyes players. Need to realize that Robiskie is bad and should not be a top 3 wr on our team. Same with Sazenbacker or w/e his name is. I loved how you guys said he'd be a 2-3 round pick. Really? the guy didn't even get drafted!

The only reason people like him is because he is from OSU. It's the same reason everyone wanted shitty players like Ted Ginn and Troy Smith to play for the Browns. I think Browns fans are the best in the country, but they have one gigantic flaw. Most root for OSU too. It's terrible, because being a Browns fan you should want the best players for your team regardless of college. I HATE Kent State with a passion, but I'm glad Cribbs is on our team. I was glad we drafted Frye, but I know he didn't work out so I didn't mind seeing him go. Unlike you OSU fans I'm not going to say Charlie Frye is the best QB in the league, like you guys do about Buckeyes players. Need to realize that Robiskie is bad and should not be a top 3 wr on our team. Same with Sazenbacker or w/e his name is. I loved how you guys said he'd be a 2-3 round pick. Really? the guy didn't even get drafted!

Welcome to planet Earth yabo. This situation isn't any different here than anywhere else. I have family that are Dolphins fans, and they talk all the time about the Dolphins getting Miami U or Florida Gator players.

Atlanta fans want to see Georgia Bulldogs on the Falcons

Dallas fans want either Texas or Okla players on their team.

Pittsbugh fans would like to see Pitt or Penn St. players on that team.

Titan fans want UT players there.

etc.etc. etc.

Cincinnati fans want the Buckeyes on their team too.

Get over it.

(by the way, Sanzenbacher may in fact end up showing that he gives 2-3rd round production....not that he would be drafted in the 2d-3d round.)

Yes but he is from OSU so automatically this means he is a future Hall of Famer...like Clarett and Troy Smith

You are beginning to sound like a whining, jealous child. I went to Akron U too. Get the eff-you-see-kay over it.

Or next time come in with one of these:

pacifier.jpg

You are beginning to sound like a whining, jealous child. I went to The University of Akron too. Get the eff-you-see-kay over it.

Or next time come in with one of these:

pacifier.jpg

Well I'm always going to root for my school. Not like everyone else who roots for the school in Columbus they probably have no connection to.

Robiske is done.. if he ends up being our number 3 wr we are in trouble.

Robiske has no upside.. its not like he is going to get faster..

We should be talking about momass, at least he has potential

How does MoMass have any kind of potential. He IS the slowest WR on the team and he is scared to catch the ball in space. He is a career under achiever. At least Robo improved on his rookie season and didn't digress like MoMass did. Everyone bitches about how slow Robo is but he is a whole .1 seconds fast than MoMass!

The reason why us OSU homers like OSU players is- because we've seen them play. :) Yeah, not all of them turn out great, and some here get carried away, and over rate their talent- but the list of OSU wideouts that HAVE made the grade is damn impressive- starting with Paul Warfield, Joey Galloway, Chris Carter, and Santonio Holmes.

Same way Ballpeen sees a hell of a lot of 'Gator football, so he's more knowledgeable about players from that school.

I didn't think Robiskie was a reach- and he may yet pan out- if he turns into a decent #3, we at least got some value out of him- unlike Vekiune.

Well I'm always going to root for my school. Not like everyone else who roots for the school in Columbus they probably have no connection to.

The connection is that it is the major university in the State of Ohio, and being Ohioans, and knowing the tradition, they (we) root for the team. It is just like being a fan of any professional sports team. I mean, I suppose you don't work for the Cleveland Browns. You didn't attend Cleveland Browns University. YOu have probably never even lived inside the city limits of Cleveland. Yet, you are a Browns fan. Why?

The reason why us OSU homers like OSU players is- because we've seen them play. :) Yeah, not all of them turn out great, and some here get carried away, and over rate their talent- but the list of OSU wideouts that HAVE made the grade is damn impressive- starting with Paul Warfield, Joey Galloway, Chris Carter, and Santonio Holmes.

Same way Ballpeen sees a hell of a lot of 'Gator football, so he's more knowledgeable about players from that school.

I didn't think Robiskie was a reach- and he may yet pan out- if he turns into a decent #3, we at least got some value out of him- unlike Vekiune.

And if all y'all would pay attention to my trivia (some do, I know), you would know this fact: Players that went to Ohio State have played in more NFL games in history than all but two other schools: Notre Dame and USC.

So, there is a history of Ohio State producing quanitities of NFL caliber players...as well as many quality ones as Hoorta here points out.

The connection is that it is the major university in the State of Ohio, and being Ohioans, and knowing the tradition, they (we) root for the team. It is just like being a fan of any professional sports team. I mean, I suppose you don't work for the Cleveland Browns. You didn't attend Cleveland Browns University. YOu have probably never even lived inside the city limits of Cleveland. Yet, you are a Browns fan. Why?

OSU isn't a pro team. It's a school and there's a big difference. Using that logic everyone in Akron would have to root for UA, but I know that's not the case. If someone went to Hoban for high school, would it make sense for them to be a St.V fan instead and claim to be part of that school?

OSU isn't a pro team. It's a school and there's a big difference. Using that logic everyone in Akron would have to root for UA, but I know that's not the case. If someone went to Hoban for high school, would it make sense for them to be a St.V fan instead and claim to be part of that school?

No, there really isn't that big of a difference between a pro team and major college football teams.

And yes, everyone in Akron probably should root for Akron U. as a general rule. You CAN root for both AU and OSU. They basically play on different planes of competition. They are not really rivals. They do play occasionally in what realistically is an exhibition game. AU is minor league compared to OSU. Every AU alum knows it and understands it. It is not a conflict to root for both. (except perhaps in that one game) (maybe its different in soccer where AU is the power, but not in football).

And your example of Hoban and St. V is quite the opposite. Those schools play on the same plane. That would be like saying OSU fans should root for Michigan or Browns fans should root for the Steelers. St. V and Hoban ARE rivals. AU and OSU are not.

No, there really isn't that big of a difference between a pro team and major college football teams.

And yes, everyone in Akron probably should root for Akron U. as a general rule. You CAN root for both AU and OSU. They basically play on different planes of competition. They are not really rivals. They do play occasionally in what realistically is an exhibition game. AU is minor league compared to OSU. Every AU alum knows it and understands it. It is not a conflict to root for both. (except perhaps in that one game) (maybe its different in soccer where AU is the power, but not in football).

And your example of Hoban and St. V is quite the opposite. Those schools play on the same plane. That would be like saying OSU fans should root for Michigan or Browns fans should root for the Steelers. St. V and Hoban ARE rivals. AU and OSU are not.

I live in Akron and had a buddy that was on the coaching staff for years. I don't think I know anybody that isn't a Buckeyes fan just because they are a Zip, unless they root for someone like Miami or something.

Myself and a ton of Akron fans went to an Akron game at the Shoe back when Brandon Payne and Frye were there, and the Zips actually gave a good fight. We sat in the Akron contingent, and although those fans would have loved to see Akron pull an upset (not me and my boys though), there wasn't an empty seat come time for script Ohio.

It's two different planes of college D1 football and OSU is the state team, period. You're either a Buckeye or you're not, it doesn't matter what college you go to.

Not to mention you don't go to college till around 18 years of age. I don't no about the rest of you, but I was watching college football and the Buckeyes when I was around 6-7. So my allegiance came long before attending a college. If your only allegiance to the program you root for came when you started attending college, your not on my level.

By the way, I just came from a meeting where our guest speaker was Rob Ianello, the HC of the Akron U Zips. There were only about 12-15 of us there so we got the real up close and personal with him.

By the way, the Zips first opponent this fall is none other than the Ohio State Buckeyes. Ianello said that the Zips have them right where they want them.

And, by the way, he admitted specifically that the Zips and OSU don't recruit the same players. He readily admitted that the Buckeyes go after the 5 star players where AU goes after the 3 star players. He said that his competition are primarily the other 5 MAC schools in the state of Ohio, plus Buffalo and Temple as his primary recruiting areas are Ohio and PA.

Personally I am done with MoMass ... HIB is right he went backwards. I think RoBo could be anywhere from a very good #2 (unlikely but possible) to a decent #4 (more likely)

The guy I really am excited to see is Carlton Mitchell. Being that he is a sixth rounder no one is expecting anything out of him ... but you just never know. He has some nice size and raw talent. I would love to see this kid give all of our past second rounders a run for there money and steal the number 2 job behind Little (who I think is going to be an absolute beast)

I have said this before in a previous post in a different thread I would not be suprised at all to see us cut ties with MoMass or Robo after training camp this yr. Especially if we sign a decent vet.

Archived