THE BROWNS BOARD

Fs/cb Free Agents

Nw220

Ive been thinking about how nasty are secondary could potentialy be but was wondering what your guys thoughts on adding someone else to the Secondary from FA,Specifically FS.

Dont get me wrong Abe Elam did well in some games last year and surprized me alot.I just dont know if hes the answer for the long run,And Hagg has alot of potential but its yet to be know what he's capable of yet.

So Heres a list of the FA Safetys This Year

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2011S.php

I gotta admit id love to have Eric Weddle next to TJ because they would complement one another so nicely, Ward is a big hit enforcer that Scares opposing Offenses while Weddle is a ball hawking FS who is underated as a Saftey in this league...

Only problem i might see is what kind of money he might be trying to demand and it may be not on the Browns agenda to go that route.Although you need to add playmakers to make this team respectable once again.

Other options

Micheal Huff-Has had his ups and downs but i dont think hes a bad saftey and would be an upgrade.

Id say Donte Whitner but hes a liability in coverage and isnt excatly the opposite of what we need across from Ward.

So give me guys some of your Thoughts, You can also add Cornerbacks in as well

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2011CB.php

BTW id Love to steal Jonathan Joseph away from the Bengals and pair him with Haden,Brandon Carr's not a bad Corner ethier dont know what he was tendered for though

Guest c-dawg

It bothered me that Cincy got Sands from WVU with his size and speed.

I like Abe. His personal story is heart-wrenching and he showed real improvement last year.

From his blog:

Unfortunately we’re not going to make the playoffs, Sunday will be our last game of the season. But we still have a lot to play for, for the city of Cleveland, for the players on the Browns team and for me individually.

For Cleveland, this is one of the biggest games all year, playing Pittsburgh in our house. We want to give the fans and this city what they deserve, and that is a big victory over a division rival.

For our defense, the last time we played the Steelers we didn’t play a great game and now we have an opportunity to reverse that. We also have the opportunity to finish in the top 5 in the league in a bunch of defensive categories, and that would say a lot about our defense and our coaching staff. We have a chance to finish in the top 5 in scoring defense, red zone defense, fewest rushing TDs and most turnovers. That would show we’re one of the top defenses in the league.

As an individual, it’s an opportunity to put a stamp on a good season. I haven’t given up a touchdown all year, and I’ve given up only one reception to a tight end that I was covering man-to-man. That says a lot considering all the guys I’ve covered, Marcedes Lewis, Heath Miller, Dustin Keller and Jeremy Shockey, among others. This game is one more chance to go out and finish the season strong.

If we did make a move we might squeeze more out of Sheldon Brown with his long experience by moving him to safety, in which case we would look at another CB.

I believe we are looking for someone to fill the Strong Safety role, as Ward is our Free Safety.

Agreed but i think Ward is better suited to play the SS, If im not correct the SS is the one who usually drops down in the box to help stop the run.

While the FS is more of the Coverage over the Top type Saftey.

I'll just sit back & see what happens. I just don't want to see us over paying for multiple older vets (past their peak) when we might be able to get 1 or 2 younger guys approaching their peak.

We'll see what happens.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest c-dawg

More about Abe Elam, from that other Browns site:

When it came to defensive backs, guess who was one of the most fundamentally sound tacklers? That would be safety Abram Elam, who registered 66 tackles and only allowed 3 broken tackles. That was good enough for a 4.3% rate, which was 9th best among defensive backs. The article also notes that Sabby Piscitelli, who led everyone in broken tackles in 2009, did not even have one against him in 2010. That was Piscitelli's reputation (that he was a poor tackler) when he joined the Browns, and although he did not play very much, he must have at least somewhat gotten his act together.

I need to say at this point that I am not CRAZY about Abe as in blindly supporting him. He just doesn't appear to be as bad as some folks fear.

I agree i was impressed late in the season with Elam but i dont think hes the long term answer at Saftey, but if he continues to improve then hes not a bad guy to keep around although i do feel like we have alot of bigger holes to fill on D.

Id love to see us make a play for Eric Weddle though he would be perfect next to Ward at the Saftey position or even i guess Micheal Huff wouldnt be terrible if he'd come Cheap.

The way we lack a pass rush it wouldnt be a bad idea to get Weddle and pair him with Ward to form a Nasty saftey tandem. You'd have Ward,Haden,Brown with Wright and Skrine coming in the dime and nickel packages. Elam could back up both saftey positions.

If are Coverage is a spilt second better than that allows are Defense Rushers that extra second to get there.

We need more help all over this ball club thats really how i feel, and the backside always helps the front and vice vircsa

Archived