THE BROWNS BOARD

X Men First Class

X Men First Class

20th Century Fox

PG 13 132 min

Since it's retread month here's one representing yet another variation on the genre. Like STAR TREK, X MEN is an ensemble concept. That means there will be many characters and groups of characters available to fit into different story lines. Recently the X MEN series has featured Hugh Jackman's Wolverine character but there are plenty more where he came from.

This version FIRST CLASS is similar to the last STAR TREK installment featuring both an origin story as well as a new cast, younger versions of familiar characters.

Surprisingly enough it works almost as well!

Now I loved STAR TREK and DCs LEGION OF SUPER HEROES (from which the X Man idea was taken) but am only familiar with this Marvel franchise through the films. I've liked them all but unlike a true fan I don't know if the movie versions are true to the heart of the comics or not.

Basically these are young mutants each with special powers and abilities that make them valuable as heroes, but also sets them apart from normal society.

Some choose to use their abilities to better the world they live in while some, feeling discrimination from that society, strive for domination.

Once friends and colleagues, Magneto and Xavier are the leaders of these opposing factions.

This story begins in WW2 where psychic Charles and Erik (James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender as the grown Professor X and Magneto) begin their journey as gifted mutants. This partnership will culminate during the Cuban Missile Crisis era during the Kennedy administration as a very evil mutant, Sebastian (Kevin Bacon) is orchestration a nuclear war which will put his own team of renegades in place as world rulers. Tears For Fears was right!

Director Matthew Vaughn does a nice job shifting between the team building, the personal dramas and the word domination stories with almost no drag on the time line.

Most of the characters spend enough time in costume to make the new actors interchangeable but it takes a bit to get used to the idea that McAvoy will grow up to be Patrick Stewart. Still that's a short bit and the kid soon owns that role.

I'd be interested to know if and fans of the comics have a diifferent take so let me know.

Oh BTW you'll love the Wolverine cameo.

A-

WSS

email westsidesteve@aol.com

• 4 weeks later...

Really like this movie. Though I'm hardly a comic book purist...I've read through my share in my youth. I think there is some creative deviation from the comics...but this was done far far better than the first 3 X-men movies. Yes, Wolverine's cameo was pretty good!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

X Men First Class

20th Century Fox

PG 13 132 min

Since it's retread month here's one representing yet another variation on the genre. Like STAR TREK, X MEN is an ensemble concept. That means there will be many characters and groups of characters available to fit into different story lines. Recently the X MEN series has featured Hugh Jackman's Wolverine character but there are plenty more where he came from.

This version FIRST CLASS is similar to the last STAR TREK installment featuring both an origin story as well as a new cast, younger versions of familiar characters.

Surprisingly enough it works almost as well!

Now I loved STAR TREK and DCs LEGION OF SUPER HEROES (from which the X Man idea was taken) but am only familiar with this Marvel franchise through the films. I've liked them all but unlike a true fan I don't know if the movie versions are true to the heart of the comics or not.

Basically these are young mutants each with special powers and abilities that make them valuable as heroes, but also sets them apart from normal society.

Some choose to use their abilities to better the world they live in while some, feeling discrimination from that society, strive for domination.

Once friends and colleagues, Magneto and Xavier are the leaders of these opposing factions.

This story begins in WW2 where psychic Charles and Erik (James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender as the grown Professor X and Magneto) begin their journey as gifted mutants. This partnership will culminate during the Cuban Missile Crisis era during the Kennedy administration as a very evil mutant, Sebastian (Kevin Bacon) is orchestration a nuclear war which will put his own team of renegades in place as world rulers. Tears For Fears was right!

Director Matthew Vaughn does a nice job shifting between the team building, the personal dramas and the word domination stories with almost no drag on the time line.

Most of the characters spend enough time in costume to make the new actors interchangeable but it takes a bit to get used to the idea that McAvoy will grow up to be Patrick Stewart. Still that's a short bit and the kid soon owns that role.

I'd be interested to know if and fans of the comics have a diifferent take so let me know.

Oh BTW you'll love the Wolverine cameo.

A-

WSS

email westsidesteve@aol.com

Pretty sure x-men was not an idea taken from 'legion of super heroes', just because both were team based books. What makes you say that, specifically?

Pretty sure x-men was not an idea taken from 'legion of super heroes', just because both were team based books. What makes you say that, specifically?

Oh just because I don't think anything happens in a vacuum. In hollywood if somebody's working on a jesse james movie you can bet 2 or 3 other guys will be working on a jesse james movie.

In this particular case I believe the legion of superheroes was out first, correct? I have no doubt the folks at marvel thought they could do something similar. Basically its young people with a variety of powers even though there are structural differences. And, who knows? It could have been a coincidence.

Also as I said before I did not grow up at aficionado of the comics. That means I'm not as suceptable to being pissed off over tinkering with the original as I would be if it were Superman.

WSS

legion of super heroes was in fact out first, but its mostly a footnote in comics history - replaced by the justice league of America, I believe well before x-men 1. The reason I think x-men has fared better throughout the years is the relatability of stan lee's flawed heroes. They can't hide that they're freaks, and still they fight on behalf of the normal people that hate and despise them for it.

Archived