THE BROWNS BOARD

Reports: Browns Interested In Pryor?

Could Terrelle Pryor go from Columbus to Cleveland? The Cleveland Browns are "doing their due diligence" on the former Ohio State quarterback for next month's NFL supplemental draft, a source told the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.

Although coach Pat Shurmur remained mum about upcoming draft intentions when asked by the Plan-Dealer on Monday, team officials are reportedly examining Pryor's pro potential to see whether he's worth them using a pick in July and giving up one for next April.

In April of last year, the Browns used a third-round pick, No. 85 overall, on another accomplished athletic quarterback from a marquee college program, former Texas Longhorns standout Colt McCoy. In addition to the obvious intrastate connection with Pryor, it makes sense they might be interested in someone with a similar skill set to McCoy's, one tailored more to the short passing game.

With McCoy in hand, the Browns could afford to take a late-round flier on Pryor as a developmental project. That would also give team president Mike Holmgren, a celebrated West Coast QB guru in his days as a coach, two intriguing options for the next few years. With Jake Delhomme likely out in Cleveland, the team projects to have an athletic No. 2, Seneca Wallace behind McCoy for 2011.

As for Pryor staying in the Miami area, where he announced his intentions to enter the supplemental draft last week, its NFL team isn't a possibility -- unless he makes it clear before the draft he's willing to make the transition to another position.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports Miami Dolphins officials, namely general manager Jeff Ireland and coach Tony Sparano, are interested in adding a quarterback this offseason, but they would like one who can challenge incumbent Chad Henne for a starting job right away.

Considering the team passed on a more traditional, pro-style QB in the April draft -- former Arkansas star Ryan Mallett -- taking a chance on Pryor as a passer just wouldn't fit with its thinking. That comes despite the fact Pryor outplayed Mallett in the 2011 Sugar Bowl, earning MVP honors in his final game as a Buckeye.

Comments

Link

I am not opposed to bringing in Pryor...He is a freakishly athletic guy that could make an impact down the road. He has the ability to develope into an NFL QB but I think he would make a bigger impact as a TE/WR. With his height and from the few passes we saw thrown to him in C-bus, he has the tools to become a decent receiver...Can you imagine having a TE with his size and speed? Or having a WR with his height to throw that fade to the endzone?

I am not opposed to bringing in Pryor...He is a freakishly athletic guy that could make an impact down the road. He has the ability to develope into an NFL QB but I think he would make a bigger impact as a TE/WR. With his height and from the few passes we saw thrown to him in C-bus, he has the tools to become a decent receiver...Can you imagine having a TE with his size and speed? Or having a WR with his height to throw that fade to the endzone?

My .02 is Pryor would be worth taking a chance on in supplemental draft as a wr. With his height and speed, could turn into an elite wideout in the NFL. He's a big risk (LOL, not according to Drew Rosenhaus) as a quarterback prospect.

If Pryor insists (looks like he's heading that direction) that qb is his position in the NFL, some team is going to take a flyer on him way before the Browns would be interested in forfeiting a pick to get him. My bet is second round in that case, or if there's a team with two first rounders next year (and wants a project)it wouldn't surprise me to see him go low first.

Question is- is Pryor another Michael Vick, or Vince Young?

There's zero chance Pryor goes round 1 or 2. New England drafted Mallet in the 3rd round, he's 10 times the QB Pryor is right now. If Terrell entered this past draft, I guarantee you he would have been selected after Mallet, if he goes 3rd round, somebody's desperate.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think you're looking at this clearly. Looking at their careers in college...yes Mallet threw for more yards and threw more tds. Mallet threw for 8385 yds and 69 tds as opposed to Pryor's 6177 and 57. But you have overlooked the rushing totals for them both. Mallet carried the ball 135 times for MINUS 141 yards and 7 td's. Making his total offensive contribution 8244 yards and 76 TDs. Pryor rushed 135 times also but for 2164 yards and 17 td's and had 2 TD catches. Making his total offensive contribution 8365 yards and 76 TDs. When you look at completion percentage, Pryor wins that for their careers with 61% to Mallet's 57.8%. And Pryor has the advantage of beating Mallet head to head! I believe that the OSU "scandal" is the real reason people are so down on Pryor...Had it not been for those events, everyone's opinion would be a lot different about Pryor...even yours!

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think you're looking at this clearly. Looking at their careers in college...yes Mallet threw for more yards and threw more tds. Mallet threw for 8385 yds and 69 tds as opposed to Pryor's 6177 and 57. But you have overlooked the rushing totals for them both. Mallet carried the ball 135 times for MINUS 141 yards and 7 td's. Making his total offensive contribution 8244 yards and 76 TDs. Pryor rushed 135 times also but for 2164 yards and 17 td's and had 2 TD catches. Making his total offensive contribution 8365 yards and 76 TDs. When you look at completion percentage, Pryor wins that for their careers with 61% to Mallet's 57.8%. And Pryor has the advantage of beating Mallet head to head! I believe that the OSU "scandal" is the real reason people are so down on Pryor...Had it not been for those events, everyone's opinion would be a lot different about Pryor...even yours!

Seriously??? Pryor isn't a 1/10 of the QB Mallett is, I will admit Pryor is the better athlete. It's not even close when you compare them as QB's.. Pryor throws one of the ugliest balls i've ever seen..

Id take a shot on him as well simply because even if he didnt develelop into a QB id stick him out at WR as other people suggested and he'd be scary with that size...Sorta like a Plaxico Burress throw the fade route his way and he'd out jump 3/4 the DBs out there.

Mallet threw almost 100 more passes than Pryor last year in a much tougher conference and they both had the same completion percentage.

Are you really trying to tell me Pryor's a better QB because his rushing totals are higher?

I'm not saying that Pryor is a better pure QB than Mallet. What I am saying is that I don't think that anyone would be so down on Pryor had it not been for the "scandal" which looks to have possibly been blown out of proportion now that they found the car deals to be legit.

Quite honestly, I don't see that Newton is going to be a better QB than Mallet in the long run. I think Newton and Pryor have a lot of similarities actually. And he was taken #1 overall. In reality, he would likely not have gone that high had they not won the National Championship. What I am really arguing is that the NFL draft is a crapshoot and any little thing can make someone who should go in the 1st drop to the 3rd or 4th in the blink of an eye. NFL teams currently tend to look for a QB that's not one-dimensional. They want someone who can turn a 5 yard loss into a 10 yard gain. You can't deny that Pryor has that ability. No, I don't think he'll be a good NFL QB. But I seriously think that he likely would have been taken in the mid to late 1st round or early second, over Mallet, had it not been for the overemphasized character issues.

My big dumb opinion is, that Pryor doesn't have the work ethic, qb intelligence, doesn't have "it" to be a qb in the pros.

He's so much Jamarcus Russell it's not good. He could grow up in some areas... but it won't help him be a qb in the NFL.

As a really raw wr/te project? It's possible, but he's far more a FA than being drafted.

But then, there is always the Raiders and Cincy.... we'll see.

I don't see Pryor going to Cleveland mainly because I don't see him as a "Holmgren" type guy. I do think there is a strong possibility of Pryor going to Cincinnati, mainly because Mike Brown is in a bind with Carson Palmer. Pryor brings the "hometown" Ohio flavor to the team, and he likely won't need to invest more than a 3rd round pick to get Pryor.

As QB, I am not convinced that he has the right stuff to be a leader of men in the NFL. Wide receiver MAY be a better slot for him to mature into his potential,

Either way, he needs to prove to a lot people that he has the discipline and skill to play in the Sunday league. No more Marshalls or OU Bobcats

I don't think he got what it takes to be a QB but he can play so many other positions. Just having him on the field would be a threat that needs to be addressed by any defense. He could line up as a WR or TE a wing back, slot receiver, tailback.....He's got size and athletic ability and hard to pass that up. Why not make an offer on him in the 4th rd sup draft. What's it going to hurt?

I don't think he got what it takes to be a QB but he can play so many other positions. Just having him on the field would be a threat that needs to be addressed by any defense. He could line up as a WR or TE a wing back, slot receiver, tailback.....He's got size and athletic ability and hard to pass that up. Why not make an offer on him in the 4th rd sup draft. What's it going to hurt?

Completely agree with all of that, I said in the other Pryor thread I wanted the Browns to draft him 4th/5th round. But to give up a 1st/2nd rounder sound's insane to me, he doesn't have the intangibles like Tebow to take a chance that high.

My big dumb opinion is, that Pryor doesn't have the work ethic, qb intelligence, doesn't have "it" to be a qb in the pros.

He's so much Jamarcus Russell it's not good. He could grow up in some areas... but it won't help him be a qb in the NFL.

As a really raw wr/te project? It's possible, but he's far more a FA than being drafted.

But then, there is always the Raiders and Cincy.... we'll see.

The fact is, no one knows. He may in fact demonstrate all those things you proclaim he does not have. Someone will take him. I have no doubt that if the third round of the Supp. draft goes by and he is not selected, then a lot more teams will show some interest.

Simply as yourself: if he had declared for the regular draft (which he probably should have done) where would he have been taken?

There's zero chance Pryor goes round 1 or 2. New England drafted Mallet in the 3rd round, he's 10 times the QB Pryor is right now. If Terrell entered this past draft, I guarantee you he would have been selected after Mallet, if he goes 3rd round, somebody's desperate.

Really? The last time I saw the two on the field together, they were playing each other, and to me it looked like it was Pryor who had the superior QB skills.

It was Pryor, not Mallet who had the leadership to bring his team the victory.

I don't see Pryor going to Cleveland mainly because I don't see him as a "Holmgren" type guy. I do think there is a strong possibility of Pryor going to Cincinnati, mainly because Mike Brown is in a bind with Carson Palmer. Pryor brings the "hometown" Ohio flavor to the team, and he likely won't need to invest more than a 3rd round pick to get Pryor.

Fair statement. Sure, Pryor isn't a Bernie Kosar type prospect who was taken with the first overall pick in the first round of the Supp. draft, meaning of course that he was the equivalent of being taken with the first overall pick of the regular draft....but he could be a "bargain" if he is still around in the 4th/5th round of this Supp. draft.

There ARE enough teams that need QB help to take a chance on him at that point.

Again, the question to be asked is: where would he have been taken if he had been in the draft this past April.....or where would he have been taken if he had stayed in school (and had the same basic type year he had as a junior) and had been available in the next draft?

Here are the top prospects for the QB class in the 2012 draft:

1. Andrew Luck, Stanford

2. Matt Barkley, USC

3. Landry Jones, Oklahoma

4. Kirk Cousins, Mich St.

5. Nick Foles, Arizona

6. Ryan Lindley, San Diego St.

7. Kellen Moore, Boise St.

8. Ryan Tannenhill, Texas A&M

Here is where Pryor would have ranked had he stayed in school, plus some other info on him:4. Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State, 6’6″ 233 (Senior)

Another of the five Buckeyes who are suspended for the first five games of 2011. Pryor is the complete package at the quarterback position, and those who say he’s not one of the top senior quarterbacks in the country are just flat out wrong. Those who say he is best fit as a tight end or h-back in the NFL? There’s a word for those types of people–dumb. Pryor has one of the strongest arms in the country, and not only that, he improved almost EVERY facet of his passing game. He increased his completion percentage from 56.6 almost 10 percent to 65 percent on the season. He went from 18:11 touchdown to interception ratio to 27:11, a ratio that went from roughly 2:1 to 3:1. Despite only 28 more pass attempts in 2010 as he had in 2009, he threw for almost 700 more yards, going from 2,094 yards in 2009 to 2,772 yards in 2010. Pryor also had fewer sacks (19) than any other season in his collegiate career despite a career high in attempts, and the fact that he makes plays out of the pocket. Oh, and by the way, not only did Pryor significantly improve his passing numbers and efficiency as a junior, he also is one of the best dual threat quarterbacks in the country. Over the last three seasons, he has run for 754, 779, and 631 yards to go along with 17 touchdowns. Pryor has fantastic arm strength and the ability to keep plays alive, and I see no reason why if Cam Newton was the top overall pick in the draft that Pryor can’t be as well. He is as good as Newton is, perhaps even better. Unlike Newton, though, Pryor has been required to take snaps under center, and doesn’t run a spread offense like Newton does. Ohio State is a pro style program, and Pryor knows how to move the chains. He is a clutch player and a winner, who has two BCS Bowl victories to his name. If not for this foolish suspension, he would easily be one of the top Heisman candidates in the entire nation. If he can continue to improve his accuracy and decision making, he will be a great NFL quarterback, so long as he keeps his head on straight

Really? The last time I saw the two on the field together, they were playing each other, and to me it looked like it was Pryor who had the superior QB skills.

It was Pryor, not Mallet who had the leadership to bring his team the victory.

Arkansas defense was abused all year, Ohio States was pretty good. Let me refresh you memory

For all but one minute of the 2011 Sugar Bowl, Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett was on fire. It was a split-second mistake in the final minute of the Sugar Bowl that preserved a 31-26 Ohio State win over Arkansas as the Razorbacks came up just short. For a moment, following Colton Miles-Nash's blocked punt with just over a minute to go, it looked like Arkansas would complete an incredible comeback, only to see the Sugar Bowl slip away as Solomon Thomas stepped in front of Mallet's second down pass.

Mallett ended the game with 277 yards, two touchdowns and that one interception. Considering how many times Arkansas receivers dropped crucial passes, the Sugar Bowl could've had a very different results. Time after time, Mallett hit receivers square in the hands, right in the numbers, only to see the ball hit the turf. It seemed like every receiver dropped at least one, something the Razorbacks are surely kicking themselves over this morning.

The Razorbacks racked up 402 yards of total offense, 277 of which came through the air and 125 of which came on the ground. Knile Davis led all rushers with a game-high 139 yards on 26 carries. Jarrius Wright caught four passes for 70 yards and Joe Adams grabbed nine passes for a game-high 120 yards and a touchdown. The Arkansas offense was firing, and gave the Razorbacks plenty of chances to bring home the Sugar Bowl trophy.

Did Pryor have superior QB skills?..No....Superior team?...Yes

Arkansas defense was abused all year, Ohio States was pretty good. Let me refresh you memory

Did Pryor have superior QB skills?..No....Superior team?...Yes

You mean to tell me that you don't believe that the great and powerful SEC didn't have the best defenses in the nation, as everyone has proclaimed over the years?

The test on who will have the best PRO QB skills will only be answered in a few years.

In that regard, Mallet may have both a blessing and a curse by having to sit behind Tom Brady.

A blessing because, obviously, he will be sitting behind and learning from just about the best there is. A curse because who knows how many years it could be before he may be given the chance to start in the NFL is he stays behind Brady.

Pryor may have blessings and curses that are the opposite of Mallet's. Though it shouldn't happen, it is entirely possible that he may be selected by one of the QB poor teams that may want to try to get him in the game ASAP. Thus, the blessing is that he might get a chance to play right away. The curse is that he might have to play right away....when he should be learning and developing.

Teams needing QB help that might dip their toes into the Pryor "sweepstakes":

Buffalo...though they have Ryan Fitzpatrick that seems adequate to bridge any gap to a potential young QB.

Arizona...nobody really believes that they are willing to continue to go with DA and whatever other garbage they have on their roster.

.....note to all those who believe a highly touted QB is going to be a sure thing. Two words: Matt Leinert.

Washington....Who is their QB? Surely not McNabbb. What else have they got?

Miami....does anyone believe in Chad Henne?

Seattle....does anyone believe in Charlie Whitehurst? (more than Chad Henne, but that's not saying anything)

San Francisco....I think the Alex Smith experiment has played out. Who else do they have? Colin Koepernik?

Oakland....they may actually be in better shape with Jason Campbell than any of the above teams. He at least seems to fit their system, whatever that is.

The likes of Cincinnatti with Dalton, Carolina with Newton, Minnesota with Ponder, and Tennessee with Locker theoretically "solved" their QB question, right? (or maybe these guys are all reincarnations of guys named Leinert, Russell, Leaf, Harrington)

What about Cleveland? Are we so sure of our future at QB? I'd like to think so, but no guarantees.

Rumor Mill: When the lockout is lifted the Dolphins are going to make a play to trade for Carson Palmer. Though Mike Brown may not actively seek a trade of Palmer, that doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't listen to trade offers if they came in from other teams.

Of course, if trade offers do come in, he will probably try to reap serious ransom.

Pryor has played the QB position his entire football life... I just can't see him agreeing to switch positions at this stage of his development... You need an ego to play the position, his might be too big to switch

In my opinion, he progressed by leaps and bounds during his 3 years at the OSU.. His atheletic skills are off the charts but as with every rookie QB, a lot will be determined by the supporting cast around him... In addition, the teams system will dictate how he is used and how well he performs..

Given the right situation, Pryor will flourish in the NFL... With his running ability or threat of, he could be super freaky in the WCO..

As I read somewhere online, Cleveland may be too close to the epicenter for Pryor to succeed here.. He played the major role in the situation at Ohio State and I'm not sure the fan base here would be that forgiving the 1st time he stumbled.....

peace

T.Dawg

Pryor has played the QB position his entire football life... I just can't see him agreeing to switch positions at this stage of his development... You need an ego to play the position, his might be too big to switch

In my opinion, he progressed by leaps and bounds during his 3 years at the OSU.. His atheletic skills are off the charts but as with every rookie QB, a lot will be determined by the supporting cast around him... In addition, the teams system will dictate how he is used and how well he performs..

Given the right situation, Pryor will flourish in the NFL... With his running ability or threat of, he could be super freaky in the WCO..

As I read somewhere online, Cleveland may be too close to the epicenter for Pryor to succeed here.. He played the major role in the situation at Ohio State and I'm not sure the fan base here would be that forgiving the 1st time he stumbled.....

peace

T.Dawg

First even though being mobile is important for a QB in the WCO, it is no where near as important as accuracy which Pryor struggles with on short pass (WCO is based around short passes). Also I think he would switch to a different position, all he needs to see is the $. That's all he cares about. All it will take is a team dangaling his contract in front of his face and saying, "Do what we want or NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

First even though being mobile is important for a QB in the WCO, it is no where near as important as accuracy which Pryor struggles with on short pass (WCO is based around short passes). Also I think he would switch to a different position, all he needs to see is the $. That's all he cares about. All it will take is a team dangaling his contract in front of his face and saying, "Do what we want or NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

He will get whatever money he gets. And he will get it for being a QB, not anything else. Whoever drafts him, wherever they draft him, it will be as a QB, and he will get paid as a QB. He may not be a fit for the Browns WCO, but that does not mean he won't fit in at many places. As far as his accuracy in the short game, that is similar to what some have said about Colt McCoy.

The King of Inaccuracy in the short passing game was one Mr. Derek Anderson. Yet, he remains an NFL QB.

Now, if you compared Pryor to DA, I would say that may be a reasonable analogy. The only question there would be: DA never did learn to correct his problems with the short passing game. Can Pryor do what DA couldn't? Who knows.

Pryor is a QB and will play QB at the next level..

Obviously he feels that some NFL team will throw money at him cause He's already turned down the Canadian league...

Pryor is a superb athelete and as I said previously, chances are he will succeed in the NFL if he is put in the right system and has a supporting cast that compliments his abilities...

The NFL could care less about his off field activities at OSU.. Those that are most upset are the fans that put him on the pedistal in the 1st place and those who truely love Ohio State...

Just another "jock" that was pampered his entire life and will continue to be pampered if he gets the job done at the next level...

I just feel that Cleveland is too close to the Buckeye situation for him to succeed here....

Peace

T.Dawg

He will get whatever money he gets. And he will get it for being a QB, not anything else. Whoever drafts him, wherever they draft him, it will be as a QB, and he will get paid as a QB. He may not be a fit for the Browns WCO, but that does not mean he won't fit in at many places. As far as his accuracy in the short game, that is similar to what some have said about Colt McCoy.

The King of Inaccuracy in the short passing game was one Mr. Derek Anderson. Yet, he remains an NFL QB.

Now, if you compared Pryor to DA, I would say that may be a reasonable analogy. The only question there would be: DA never did learn to correct his problems with the short passing game. Can Pryor do what DA couldn't? Who knows.

Have you ever considered that a team would offer him MORE money if he agreed to play other positions? Ya he is going to get offered a contract as a QB, but paying a QB you pick in the 4th round isn't any different than what you pay for a O Tackle. So imagine if the team that takes him offers him more than he would normally make if he would be an athlete rather than just a QB.

I also don't understand what you are getting at by saying his short accuracy is the same as McCoy's. McCoy's strength is his short and medium accuracy which is why he is projected as a good WCO QB.

Have you ever considered that a team would offer him MORE money if he agreed to play other positions?

No, because it is absurd. Nobody gets paid higher money than a QB does.

Ya he is going to get offered a contract as a QB, but paying a QB you pick in the 4th round isn't any different than what you pay for a O Tackle.

I would bet you lunch that isn't true, if that question could be answered.

So imagine if the team that takes him offers him more than he would normally make if he would be an athlete rather than just a QB.

Now you are just dreaming. If my grandmother had gonads she'd be my grandfather. It ain't happening!

I also don't understand what you are getting at by saying his short accuracy is the same as McCoy's. McCoy's strength is his short and medium accuracy which is why he is projected as a good WCO QB.

I do not mean to imply that they were both criticized for the same thing. All I remember is that some questioned McCoy's "accuracy". I don't know if that was his short passing, long passing or what.

And I didn't understand that criticism because McCoy I believe led the NCAA in passing completion percentage for 2 straight years. To me that seems hellaciously accurate.

Bad analogy Gip. Anderson was a nobody drafted out of Oregon State in the sixth round. I rarely make bets, but I'm betting Pryor will go higher than that in the supplemental draft- especially when you consider after lock #1 overall Andrew Luck the pickings get mighty slim mighty fast. Pryor is a far superior athlete than DA- except in one respect. Anderson has a cannon of an arm that Pryor (or just about anyone short of John Elway) can't match. Pryor can run a reported 4.3, Anderson is a freaking statue in the pocket.

That said, athleticism will only get you so far in the NFL- especially at qb. Pyror's looked OK- not great @ OSU playing against generally inferior competition. I watch a ton of Buckeye ball, and I can honestly say I've never said to myself, "wow, Pryor's so freaking great, wouldn't it be super special if the Browns could land him somehow?" The last OSU qb who had that legit tag in my mind was Art Schlister. Pryor won't have all day to survey the field in the NFL waiting for someone to break open, there's a ton of LBs there nearly as fast as he is ready & willing to bust him up if he takes off when protection breaks down (I've yet to see Pryor absorb a true NFL kill-shot), and to my mind the biggest negative, he really doesn't have the quickest release I've ever seen- in fact it's mighty slow.

Bad analogy Gip. Anderson was a nobody drafted out of Oregon State in the sixth round. I rarely make bets, but I'm betting Pryor will go higher than that in the supplemental draft- especially when you consider after lock #1 overall Andrew Luck the pickings get mighty slim mighty fast. Pryor is a far superior athlete than DA- except in one respect. Anderson has a cannon of an arm that Pryor (or just about anyone short of John Elway) can't match. Pryor can run a reported 4.3, Anderson is a freaking statue in the pocket.

That said, athleticism will only get you so far in the NFL- especially at qb. Pyror's looked OK- not great @ OSU playing against generally inferior competition. I watch a ton of Buckeye ball, and I can honestly say I've never said to myself, "wow, Pryor's so freaking great, wouldn't it be super special if the Browns could land him somehow?" The last OSU qb who had that legit tag in my mind was Art Schlister. Pryor won't have all day to survey the field in the NFL waiting for someone to break open, there's a ton of LBs there nearly as fast as he is ready & willing to bust him up if he takes off when protection breaks down (I've yet to see Pryor absorb a true NFL kill-shot), and to my mind the biggest negative, he really doesn't have the quickest release I've ever seen- in fact it's mighty slow.

There were alot of times where I thought "This guy is special" when I watched him play. It normally only happened when he threw the long ball or was scrambling/running going out for a pass though. Pryor actually has decent long ball accuracy. Look at his TD pass to #8 (brain fart can't remember his name) in the Sugar Bowl where he litteraly threw it to where only #8 could make the catch even though he was covered very well. Anything under 30 yards though made me hold my breath.

Everytime you watch him run you think he is running so freakin slow but then he is burning CB's down the field. His stride is so long that his 4.3 40 looks like normal people doing a fast jog.

Archived