THE BROWNS BOARD

Trading Montario Hardesty For Dion Lewis

Smitty70

No this trade would be dumb for the Browns. I get it, Hardesty may not come back from his injuries but i would take my chances with him and his upside.

I guess people are really bored with the lock out, writing stuff like this..

thanks for the share, interesting reading

The most talented back on the team? You do remember a guy named Hillis plays for us right? How can you say Hardesty is the most talented when you haven't seen him play a down in the regular season? Hillis is extremely athletic and a beast. I want Hardesty to pan out for us but I'm afraid the guy is made of glass.

The most talented back on the team? You do remember a guy named Hillis plays for us right? How can you say Hardesty is the most talented when you haven't seen him play a down in the regular season? Hillis is extremely athletic and a beast. I want Hardesty to pan out for us but I'm afraid the guy is made of glass.

Hillis was a nice story and a pleasant surprise but he is an average NFL running back. He averaged 4.4 ypc behind a pretty solid line and he has fumbling issues. IF Hardesty can stay healthy I will say that a lot of people are going to be surprised by how much PT he gets.

Agreed. I just find it hard to judge his talent when we really haven't gotten to see him in the league. Plus I would bet if we do get Hardesty or someone else to help carry the rock it will give hillis more rest and his ypc will go up.

The right side of the oline was weak, and most defenses knew it. That makes it hard

for the rb's... the defenses know your bread and butter is to the left. That takes away from Hillis'

one on one, or two, power. He was getting gang tackled more and more.

Doubting Hillis? He has fumbling issues, but Hardesty doesn't have injury issues? What?

Hillis has worked on his fumbling issues. How do you work on injury issues?

The Browns have a nice trio of rb's. It's ridiculous to mess with that this year.

The right side of the oline was weak, and most defenses knew it. That makes it hard

for the rb's... the defenses know your bread and butter is to the left. That takes away from Hillis'

one on one, or two, power. He was getting gang tackled more and more.

Doubting Hillis? He has fumbling issues, but Hardesty doesn't have injury issues? What?

Hillis has worked on his fumbling issues. How do you work on injury issues?

The Browns have a nice trio of rb's. It's ridiculous to mess with that this year.

I'm pretty sure that I mentioned injury concerns in both of my posts. As far as working on injuries, yes you can do it. By rehabbing and getting in better shape. Also, I'm not a big fan of putting the injury prone label on people. It is a tough sport, injuries will happen to everyone and yes some will suffer multiple injuries. It is the nature of the beast. Add that to the short career of an NFL RB and you get the quick injury prone label. As far as Hillis goes, if he can get his fumbling under control he will make a nice short yardage and goalline back but if he is our primary RB I fear it is not a good sign of what our record will be.

I'm pretty sure that I mentioned injury concerns in both of my posts. As far as working on injuries, yes you can do it. By rehabbing and getting in better shape. Also, I'm not a big fan of putting the injury prone label on people. It is a tough sport, injuries will happen to everyone and yes some will suffer multiple injuries. It is the nature of the beast. Add that to the short career of an NFL RB and you get the quick injury prone label. As far as Hillis goes, if he can get his fumbling under control he will make a nice short yardage and goalline back but if he is our primary RB I fear it is not a good sign of what our record will be.

Please- Hillis was 11th in the league in rushing last year with a very respectable 4.4 ypc, that's feature back in my book. Only two guys in the top 10 were significantly better in ypc and a bunch of them were less- like Rashard Mendenhall.

Yes, Hillis' style of running doesn't bode well for a long career- neither was Earl Campbell's, who he happens to resemble. But Hardesty couldn't make it out of training camp in one piece. I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt for now, but I want to see the guy play an entire season without getting dinged before he can shed the KiJana Carter label.

Please- Hillis was 11th in the league in rushing last year with a very respectable 4.4 ypc, that's feature back in my book. Only two guys in the top 10 were significantly better in ypc and a bunch of them were less- like Rashard Mendenhall.

Yes, Hillis' style of running doesn't bode well for a long career- neither was Earl Campbell's, who he happens to resemble. But Hardesty couldn't make it out of training camp in one piece. I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt for now, but I want to see the guy play an entire season without getting dinged before he can shed the KiJana Carter label.

Give any number of RB's in the league Joe Thomas, Steinbech and Mack on one side and see how many rush for a hell of a lot better than 4.4 yards per carry. I'm 100% with Pizza on this but I've been preaching the same since he signed with the Browns. Now with all that said I'd take Hillis on my team in a heartbeat. I love the way he runs. Would I want him carrying the load full time? Absolutely not because he's not running away from anyone, especially after defenses keyed on him in the latter portion of the season. He's a product of a very solid offensive line.

Give any number of RB's in the league Joe Thomas, Steinbech and Mack on one side and see how many rush for a hell of a lot better than 4.4 yards per carry. I'm 100% with Pizza on this but I've been preaching the same since he signed with the Browns. Now with all that said I'd take Hillis on my team in a heartbeat. I love the way he runs. Would I want him carrying the load full time? Absolutely not because he's not running away from anyone, especially after defenses keyed on him in the latter portion of the season. He's a product of a very solid offensive line.

The product of the left side of the line being solid- the right side of the O line sucked the second Pashos and Yates got hurt. The departed RT St Clair exceptionally sucked. And no one is comparing Hillis to the elite guys like Peterson or Johnson who have a breakaway gear. LOL, he's about as elusive as Jerome Bettis, and he had a pretty decent career, no? Defenses could key on Peyton because the Browns wide receivers weren't exactly up to Roddy White standards. In fact Hillis was second on the team in receptions, and third in yards. Essentially, he WAS the Browns offense.

The product of the left side of the line being solid- the right side of the O line sucked the second Pashos and Yates got hurt. The departed RT St Clair exceptionally sucked. And no one is comparing Hillis to the elite guys like Peterson or Johnson who have a breakaway gear. LOL, he's about as elusive as Jerome Bettis, and he had a pretty decent career, no? Defenses could key on Peyton because the Browns wide receivers weren't exactly up to Roddy White standards. In fact Hillis was second on the team in receptions, and third in yards. Essentially, he WAS the Browns offense.

Bingo! It's pretty easy to make a game plan for, stop this guy, and only this guy. Once we get some kind of balance, I expect Hillis' numbers to go up a little. Not saying he's going to blow everyone away, but he should get better with a decent supporting cast.

How is this even a valid argument? One guy played, one guy didn't. It's comparing apples to oranges. One was on Sportscenter every week, one was watching Sportscenter every week.

Case closed, that's it. You can't compare them because there's nothing to compare yet.

Read above numb nutts. Your "better RB" hasn't even played a down in the NFL because of injuries. You constantly talk out of your a$$. Sometimes less is more, especially when its compared to the complete bullshit coming from you.

Since your reading comprehension is obviously stunted, I said that Hardesty was the most talented RB on the roster not necessarily the best. He has much better skills than Hillis and his ceiling is much higher. If that will translate into production is yet to be seen. You saw Hillis' ceiling last year. IMO the team will be much better if Hardesty can stay healthy and let Hillis revert back to where he should be, short yardage and goal line, that is if he can cure his fumblitus.

As far as his performance with the Broncos goes, he did pretty well. That line and the zone blocking scheme also made Selvin Young, Tatum Bell, Mike Anderson, Travis Henry, and Reuben Droughns look like All-Pros.

In the long run though, my hope is that the right side of the line is solidified and both of these guys can form a 1-2 punch with Little and possibly Mitchell helping stretch the field.

Since your reading comprehension is obviously stunted, I said that Hardesty was the most talented RB on the roster not necessarily the best. He has much better skills than Hillis and his ceiling is much higher. If that will translate into production is yet to be seen. You saw Hillis' ceiling last year. IMO the team will be much better if Hardesty can stay healthy and let Hillis revert back to where he should be, short yardage and goal line, that is if he can cure his fumblitus.

As far as his performance with the Broncos goes, he did pretty well. That line and the zone blocking scheme also made Selvin Young, Tatum Bell, Mike Anderson, Travis Henry, and Reuben Droughns look like All-Pros.

In the long run though, my hope is that the right side of the line is solidified and both of these guys can form a 1-2 punch with Little and possibly Mitchell helping stretch the field.

I had to take a look- here's Hardesty's highlights from his senior season. Big whoop.

You want to relegate a guy who gained over 1,000 yards last year to a utility role? You nuts or something?

Hate to tout my RB prognosticating ability, but you can review my Draft thread stuff, and I thought LaDanian Tomlinson and Adrian Peterson were "can't miss" players. Hardesty is FAR from that talent level, or he would have been drafted way higher, injury or not.

More skilled? You can start and stop at cutting ability, and Hardesty doesn't exactly remind me of Barry Sanders. So he's slightly more elusive than Hillis. My bet is Peyton could beat him in a 40. Pass catching- wash. Fumbling- Hillis did lead the league in that category, but most of those were due to extra effort. Candy bones- BIG if.

Man, you sure can look great running through holes you could drive a semi through, and playing against defensive backs that have no hope of making the NFL. Yup, those "highlights" were against the likes of Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ohio U, and Western Kentucky. The competition level is slightly higher in the NFL. Oh, his long run senior season was 43 yards. Look at the video and tell me he's got the "feature back" breakaway gear. Personally, I doubt it- especially after another torn ACL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJJiHPqy8xE

I agree Hoorta.

Hardesty was a nice looking SEC back, but he wasn't a top of the league back.

For us he will be a nice option to work off Hillis or spell Hillis to help keep him fresh.

Hardesty has a little speed, a little shake and bake, and a little power, but not enough of any to put him over the top to make him a special back in the league.

He is going to get the yards that are there but he isn't going to get many extra yards by running around people or running through people. He's nice to have and can fill in well but if some are expecting him to burst upon the scene and take the league by storm, forget it.

Hillis was a nice story and a pleasant surprise but he is an average NFL running back. He averaged 4.4 ypc behind a pretty solid line and he has fumbling issues. IF Hardesty can stay healthy I will say that a lot of people are going to be surprised by how much PT he gets.

I hope you are right. IF Hardesty shows more talent than Hillis, that means the Browns will have one hell of a 1-2 combination at RB. Though it seems they might be a sort of baby bull RB combination.

Perhaps they can be Massey and Ferguson, or Allis and Chalmers. Something like that.

There hasn't been a good RB in history that hasn't had a decent O-line in front of him....so you could say that everyone from Jim Brown to Emmitt Smith were "products of a very solid offensive line". That doesn't take away from that RBs capabilities.

In terms of full time RB? Almost every team in the league is now going with some kind of RB by committee setup. If the Browns can add depth and quality with Hardesty running for a share of yards that would be great.

Hillis is more than an average running back. We've had other "average backs" here in cleveland and they did nothing like what Hillis did. His numbers were good, and would have been better had there been another back on this team that could have played some minutes and actually provided some relief for him and a change of pace. Lewis could do both and would provide something different that could be exciting and infectious for this offense. I would love to see this trade. I like Hardesty's ability, but it really dosn't balance the backfield with Hillis and he really can't seem to stay healthy. Why not change it up a bit?

Boy, why is HIllis such a Controversial topic? For those who love him: he isn't spectacular. For those who call him an average back:, don't be ridiculous.

Hillis is a valuable asset and perhaps the best skilled player the Browns have. That said, if the Browns don't have a creative offense and a complimentary back who can threated defenses with explosive, shifty, shake-and-bake type running, Hillis will get shut down to a great extent in 2011.

I was hoping to get somebody like that in the draft....someone like Taiwan Jones. Maybe they will find someone to fill that bill out of the undrafted FA pool once they can start signing those guys. Watch for these names as possibles: Derek Locke KY, Anthony Elzy NC, Darren Evans Va. Tech, Noel Devine W.Va..

Archived