THE BROWNS BOARD

Historical Trivia

The Gipper

Here is some trivia, a lot dealing with "historical" subject matters. See how you do:

1. Baseball: Throughout history there have been 26 players who have won 6 World Series Rings, but only 1 of those 26 did not win one while playing for the New York Yankees. Can you name that one person?

(This is a 4 star difficulty level question)

2. Let's see if you have been paying attention: Which Civil War site was the site of the original historical "Camp Colt"?

3. Which NFL stadium lost its designation as a National Historic Landmark due to "over-reconstruction"?

4. Which Stadiums that have hosted the Super Bowl are on the list of National Historic Landmarks?

5. Which stadiums that have hosted the Super Bowl in the past are now torn down?

6. Which teams in the 4 major North American sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL), play in venues that were once used in the Olympics?

7. Name a famous former sports authority figure that was named after a Civil War Battle.

8. Which US President is most closely associated with a particular famous sports personality?

9. Which US President is considered to have been the best at the following sports:

Football:

Baseball:

Basketball:

Swimming:

Surfing:

Running:

Hunting:

Fishing:

Sailing:

Bowling:

Wrestling:

Jiu Jitsu:

Croquet:

Billiards:

Golf:

Here is some trivia, a lot dealing with "historical" subject matters. See how you do:

1. Baseball: Throughout history there have been 26 players who have won 6 World Series Rings, but only 1 of those 26 did not win one while playing for the New York Yankees. Can you name that one person?

TED Williams

2. Let's see if you have been paying attention: Which Civil War site was the site of the original historical "Camp Colt"?

Shiloh

3. Which NFL stadium lost its designation as a National Historic Landmark due to "over-reconstruction"?

COWBOY STADIUM

4. Which Stadiums that have hosted the Super Bowl are on the list of National Historic Landmarks?

Rose Bowl, Superdome,

5. Which stadiums that have hosted the Super Bowl in the past are now torn down?

Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl

6. Which teams in the 4 major North American sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL), play in venues that were once used in the Olympics?

Utah Jazz, Atlanta Hawks,

7. Name a famous former sports authority figure that was named after a Civil War Battle.

Jimmy The Greek

8. Which US President is most closely associated with a particular famous sports personality?

Woodrow Wilson and Babe Ruth

9. Which US President is considered to have been the best at the following sports:

Football: Ford

Baseball: Bush jr

Basketball:Obama

Swimming:JFK

Surfing: Reagan

Running: Reagan

Hunting: George Bush

Fishing: Truman

Sailing: kennedy

Bowling: Nixon

Wrestling: LBJ

Jiu Jitsu: FDR

Croquet:

Billiards:

Golf:

TED Williams No, Williams didn't earn a single ring in all his years.

Shiloh No. You obviously were not paying attention.

COWBOY STADIUM NO

Rose Bowl, Superdome, Rose Bowl check. Superdome NO. There is one other

Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl Orange Bowl Check. There has never been a stadium known as "The Sugar Bowl" but you are warm with that on one other. Besides the Orange Bowl there are 2 others.

Utah Jazz, Atlanta Hawks, Check on the Jazz. No on the Hawks...though you are warm

Jimmy The Greek ahh....NO

Woodrow Wilson and Babe Ruth Not what I had in mind

Football: Ford check

Baseball: Bush jr no

Basketball:Obama check

Swimming:JFK no

Surfing: Reagan no

Running: Reagan no

Hunting: George Bush no

Fishing: Truman no

Sailing: kennedy check

Bowling: Nixon Check

Wrestling: LBJ no

Jiu Jitsu: FDR no

Croquet:

Billiards:

Golf:

You ask too many questions ;)

Bush Sr was a good baseball player.....Hunter.....has to be Teddy no doubt, or you are wrong.

I am going with Bush Sr......baselball

swimming .......reagan

hunting ............Teddy

running ............Clinton

Golf ,,,,,,,kennedy was the best but ,,,,,,,,Eisenhower...........was more passionate

Croquet..............Coolidge

You ask too many questions ;)

Actually I reduced the number of questions I usually ask, though I guess with this last one which was a multiparter it did come to quite a few question

Bush Sr was a good baseball player.....Hunter.....has to be Teddy no doubt, or you are wrong.

And per my sources, you got both those right.

I am going with Bush Sr......baselball check

swimming .......reagan Check

hunting ............Teddy check

running ............Clinton no

Golf ,,,,,,,kennedy was the best but ,,,,,,,,Eisenhower...........was more passionate no, maybe

Croquet..............Coolidge not the answer I found

Rich: the info I found said Ike was the better golfer....but you may in fact be right. Ike was known for his passion for golf. Kennedy not so much. He was much more known for his sailing (and touch football..though no one ever suggested he possessed true skill at football, not like Ford). What I don't know is what there handicaps were. Perhaps I could find out.

Rich: It looks like you were right. Here is the ranking of Presidential Golf ability per Golf Digest magazine:

1 John F. Kennedy Despite chronic back pain, averaged 80.

2 Dwight D. Eisenhower Had a green outside the Oval Office.

3 Gerald R. Ford Clumsy, but was a legitimate 80s-shooter.

4 Franklin D. Roosevelt At 39, polio robbed him of a powerful golf swing.

5 George H.W. Bush Once got his handicap down to 11.

6 George W. Bush Outgoing prez is a capable 15-handicapper.

7 Bill Clinton Can break 90, especially using his "Billigans."

8 Barack Obama The lefty plays more hoops than golf.

9 Ronald Reagan Didn't play often or well (best was low 90s).

10 Warren G. Harding Struggled to break 95.

11 William Howard Taft As hapless a golfer as he was a chief executive.

12 Woodrow Wilson Played more than Ike but almost never broke 100.

13 Richard M. Nixon He shot 79 once and quit the game.

14 Lyndon B. Johnson Played with senators to secure votes for the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

15 Calvin Coolidge When he vacated the White House, he left his clubs behind.

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2009-02/presidentsranking#ixzz1SCF49oyH

FYI, Ike also had a golf green just outside his house in Gettysburg. I was just there and stood on that green.

Also, FYI I learned that the only 2 Presidents to shoot a hole in one in their lives were Eisenhower and Clinton.

Rich: the info I found said Ike was the better golfer....but you may in fact be right. Ike was known for his passion for golf. Kennedy not so much. He was much more known for his sailing (and touch football..though no one ever suggested he possessed true skill at football, not like Ford). What I don't know is what there handicaps were. Perhaps I could find out.

Kennedy was a really good golfer but not committed.....Ike was an avid golfer.........his clubs are on display at Army Navy Country Club..........so I stick if the value is good with Kennedy........if the value is the greatest golfing President IKE wins without competition

Answers:

Eddie Collins who won 5 rings while with the As, and 1 with the White Sox. Only 2 people have ever won 5 rings who did not play for the Yankees: Dal Maxville and Stuffy McInnis

UH, Gettysburg. We just had a whole thread on this.

Soldier Field in Chicago

Only the Rose Bowl and the LA Coliseum

The Orange Bowl, Tulane Stadium, and The Big Sombrero...Tampa Stadium

The Atlanta Braves. Turner Field began as "Olympic Stadium"

The Atlanta Falcons. The Georgia Dome hosted basketball and other sports

The Vancouver Canucks. Their place, Rogers Arena hosted the hockey in the 2010 Winter games.

The Utah Jazz. The Delta Center hosted figure skating in the 2002 winter games.

(Atlanta Hawks do not play in an Olympic venue. Their arena was built since 1996. When they played in the Omni it was an Olympic venue, but they don't play there now, and I don't even know if the Omni is still standing)

Kennesaw Mountain Landis, former MLB commish, name after the battle of Kennesaw Mountain, just outside of Atlanta.

Ronald Reagan and George Gipp, the Gipper. Naturally.

Football: Ford

Baseball: Bush Sr.

Basketball: Obama

Swimming: Reagan. He was a life guard and is supposed to have saved 77 people

Surfing: Nixon, but per discussion it may be Obama

Running: W. Bush. He ran marathons. His best time was 3:44:52. Pretty damn good.

Hunting: Teddy Roosevelt

Fishing: Herbert Hoover was the most avid angler

Sailing: JFK

Bowling: Nixon

Wrestling: Lincoln

Jiu Jitsu: Teddy Roosevelt

Croquet: Rutherford B. Hayes

Billiards: Chester Arthur. I guess he was a hustler

Golf: See our discussion about Ike and Kennedy

Archived