THE BROWNS BOARD

New Guest Here. Help Please.

huck1974

Sorry. We won't have a fish fry. In all of our years in doing this we've had one fish fry. It was a flop. The fish was great (Lake Erie perch donated by a few fellow tailgaters), but many people are kinda fickle about fish and seafood in general. It was a lot of work that was enjoyed by less than we hoped.

No worries mate. Maybe we can just find a Dolphin and burn it in effigy and call that our "fish fry".

stock-photo-dolphin-covered-in-flames-52565128.jpg

Johnny's (both of them) sucks balls. The most overpriced shit in Cleveland. My friends own Sokolowski's, best food in my books. Swenson's makes me horny. If you want upscale, Bricco by the Playhouse Theatre is kick ass.

Whoa there guy. I hate to pull out my Restaurant Reviewer card, but having dined at my share of 4 and 5 star establishments around the country, think I have a pretty good feel for how high is up in the fine dining world. I was a regular at Cincinnati's Maisonette- the longest running 5 Star on the Mobil Travel guide (and the only 5 Star in Ohio) until they folded a few years back. IMHO Swenson's and Sokolowski's wouldn't be any critic's list of "fine dining" by a long shot. Burgers? Really? My local hang out here in Dayton, The Pine Club © still hand trims their meat on premises, so their "hamburger" is aged ground NY strip, ribeye and fillet. Next time you're in Swenson's ask them if they can make a similar claim. Good Polish food? FWIW, I'm 1\2 Polish, so kielbasi and pierogis, followed up by a kolachki dessert isn't exactly my idea of fine dining. :) Hey, you want to talk ethnic, the Balaton serves up the best Hungarian food in town. OTOH, Johnny's can hold up with virtually any Four Star place in the country- they get a "fail" only when compared to places like Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa, they of the 2,000+ bottle wine list- the biggest in the world. "Overpriced" goes with the territory of fine dining, sad to say. LOL, you'd have to take out a second mortgage to do a week of fine dining in New York City if you want to talk overpriced.

Whoa there guy. I hate to pull out my Restaurant Reviewer card, but having dined at my share of 4 and 5 star establishments around the country, think I have a pretty good feel for how high is up in the fine dining world. I was a regular at Cincinnati's Maisonette- the longest running 5 Star on the Mobil Travel guide (and the only 5 Star in Ohio) until they folded a few years back. IMHO Swenson's and Sokolowski's wouldn't be any critic's list of "fine dining" by a long shot. Burgers? Really? My local hang out here in Dayton, The Pine Club © still hand trims their meat on premises, so their "hamburger" is aged ground NY strip, ribeye and fillet. Next time you're in Swenson's ask them if they can make a similar claim. Good Polish food? FWIW, I'm 1\2 Polish, so kielbasi and pierogis, followed up by a kolachki dessert isn't exactly my idea of fine dining. :) Hey, you want to talk ethnic, the Balaton serves up the best Hungarian food in town. OTOH, Johnny's can hold up with virtually any Four Star place in the country- they get a "fail" only when compared to places like Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa, they of the 2,000+ bottle wine list- the biggest in the world. "Overpriced" goes with the territory of fine dining, sad to say. LOL, you'd have to take out a second mortgage to do a week of fine dining in New York City if you want to talk overpriced.

Well la-de-da. I know what fine dining is Hoort. I guess I am not a snob. Yes I've eaten at 4-5 star in Hawaii, England, Scotland, Florida, NC and tons more. And yes they were good. Jonny's is WAY over priced. I only ate at the one on Fulton, so I am not going to say anything about the other one. But dude, over cooked veal, waiter who looked like he just smoked meth, $15 martini's, $12 glass of wine, what's not to like? I understand Sokolowski's and Swenson's is fine dining, come on dude. I am just saying you can have a great meal without spending an arm and a leg for the name. My favorite was bangers and mash in Manchester, just a great meal (forgot the name). Yea it didn't have any gold flakes on it, but it was damn good meal, it's got to be it's been years and I still remember it. Home made, local and fresh. Where in Dayton do they slaughter the cows for your burgers there at The Pine Club or the steaks in Florida? No they were trucked in from Iowa. Got to love those fresh burgers from meat shipped in 2 weeks ago.

Well la-de-da. I know what fine dining is Hoort. I guess I am not a snob. Yes I've eaten at 4-5 star in Hawaii, England, Scotland, Florida, NC and tons more. And yes they were good. Jonny's is WAY over priced. I only ate at the one on Fulton, so I am not going to say anything about the other one. But dude, over cooked veal, waiter who looked like he just smoked meth, $15 martini's, $12 glass of wine, what's not to like? I understand Sokolowski's and Swenson's is fine dining, come on dude. I am just saying you can have a great meal without spending an arm and a leg for the name. My favorite was bangers and mash in Manchester, just a great meal (forgot the name). Yea it didn't have any gold flakes on it, but it was damn good meal, it's got to be it's been years and I still remember it. Home made, local and fresh. Where in Dayton do they slaughter the cows for your burgers there at The Pine Club or the steaks in Florida? No they were trucked in from Iowa. Got to love those fresh burgers from meat shipped in 2 weeks ago.

OK, yabo, where then can you go to get the best baked Dolphin?

EDIT: Sorry about your luck- I've eaten at Johnny's 5-6 times when I've been in town and the food & service has been nothing short of 4 star every time. So you're saying you had a bad meal and didn't like the booze prices at Johnny's so therefore it sucks? I had a totally unmemorable meal at Harris' in San Fran, but I'm not about to trash them after one visit. We had such a crappy meal & service at L'Auberge (Dayton's only- by your standards pricey- Four Star) on New Year's Eve a few years back our three couples unanimously stiffed the waiter.

But that was an A-B-B-E-R-R-A-T-I-O-N for the place. There's ways around exorbitant booze prices- FWIW, there were a bunch of reasonably priced bottles of wine on Johnny's list- assuming you knew what to look for. There was also a bottle of 1982 Mouton Rothschild absurdly priced @ $5,000- I paid $42 bucks for mine back in 1983 & I'm not that rich or stupid to pay four times current auction value. Believe me, I balk when a place tries to charge me $40 for a $10 bottle of wine. BTW, the Pine Club's meat comes in from Columbus- and it happens to be dry aged for the steaks, wet aged for the fillets. (Bern) Laxalt (where the name comes from) was such a fanatic- now taken over by his son, raises his own cows- and not in Iowa, sprouts the bean sprouts on premises, and has a 5,000 gallon saltwater tank in back where you can pick out your own fish if you have a mind to, if you want to talk fresh.

"I am just saying you can have a great meal without spending an arm and a leg for the name." I'm saying your odds of getting a truly memorable meal usually goes up in direct proportion to the price. And if I'm flying into a city on a one shot deal, as the Fin fans are doing- personally I wouldn't try and steer them to the best burger joint in town.

• 2 weeks later...

John's Diner Outer Banks, lol. That's dolphin tuna.

Thanks for bickering about the food. I have a bunch of great ideas now. Got my tickets in the mail Friday. Section 109 row 2 seats 1 and 2

yayyyyy!

There is also a dolphins tailgate, but I'm going to yours. You guys seem like a fun group.

About a week before the game Aten will start a tailgate thread where you can RSVP so the guys have a pretty good idea on what will be needed.

I'll be at that game.....look forward to meeting you and your group.

Archived